Witchhunter's Cloak

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Hellfire

Witchhunter's Cloak

Post by Hellfire » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:42 pm

I am going to preface this by saying that I am loving all of the recent changes, and that I am thrilled to have the variety of crafting items and equipment increased.

That said, I am currently playing an imp, and I was a little taken aback when I read the Witchhunter's Cloak and saw the two uses per day of dismissal. I am aware of the other items in the loot matrix that have banishment and dismissal on them, but it feels very odd to me to staple a spell that has a hard coded effect on a specific player race above its default function onto a very nice runic cloak.

My particular imp should be fine passing the saving throw, and I can see the RP benefit of a particular type of 'hunter' having extra tools built into their gear. What I am not thrilled about is the thought of people using it because it is a nice way to get a two stat cloak with bonuses and then have two uses a day of 'fear specific race' as a bonus for picking it.

Nitro

Re: Witchhunter's Cloak

Post by Nitro » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:47 pm

Well, that's one of the the downsides of playing a monster race. Your character is a monster, and other characters hunt loads of other NPC's of your race all the time, so items that have an effect on those also have an effect on you.

With imps particularly I don't think this is an issue at all, given the low number of imps around.

Hellfire

Post by Hellfire » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Nitro wrote:Well, that's one of the the downsides of playing a monster race. Your character is a monster, and other characters hunt loads of other NPC's of your race all the time, so items that have an effect on those also have an effect on you.

With imps particularly I don't think this is an issue at all, given the low number of imps around.
I largely agree, but I wonder what the reaction would be to a carpentry craftable item called a Dog's Whistle that gave two uses per day of "Fear Gnolls". I'm not suggesting that the witchhunter's cloak is anything nearly as targetted of a "sucks to be your race" item as that would be, but we don't have a long history of craftable vs race items which this effectively is.

Trapped In A Sensual Seduction

Post by Trapped In A Sensual Seduction » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Man, I think that more items that gave fear vs specific race would be awesome.
I mean, as long as they weren't too obnoxious and were pretty decently hard to make, so that not everyone's walking around with 50 of them.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:15 pm

I'd go as far and saying that we need more but also for non monster races like fear against elf or a added damage. Or human and giving them a charm effect since the human race for all there ambition can be so easel charmed with power :D

Ferret Roll

Post by Ferret Roll » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Part of the big appeal for me in playing an imp when I was running Avnas was the fact that imps were given weaknesses suited to their outsider nature in addition to their strengths.

I'd say the inclusion of dismissal on this cloak gives a little extra flavor for imp-players. There should be some hesitation on an imp's part to dealing with a character known for fighting fiends and those who associate with them, and this cloak is made as a tool for exactly that kind of character.

I've loved the other anti-race weapons/items I've found in the loot matrix too, the idea of some craftsman somewhere hating orcs so much he started churning out anti-orc knives is pretty great.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:47 pm

Imp is a race that does not belong to the world and is easily being banished/dismissed.

This is your main weakness. You knew it when making this character. Sorry.

The DC on items is low. Yes, you can roll badly, or roll 1s. But it is a part of game.

If the player did not come with the cloak, can still obtain a wand or Scroll. So having it on an item (especially when other items are already IG) is nothing game changing for Imps.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:15 pm

I have an imp, and I'd say this cloak is a way, way bigger problem for literally any summoner than it is for an imp.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:14 am

What happens if an imp uses it?
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Ferret Roll

Post by Ferret Roll » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:49 am

Same thing that happens when an imp casts dismissal on its own. It counts as a target for the dismissal the same as anything else in the area, has to roll a save, and if it fails it gets the fear effect applied to it.