Please - XP progression from other than hacking up things

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Ozzy.nl

Re: Please - XP progression from other than hacking up thing

Post by Ozzy.nl » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:47 am

In the past the xp was actually double as high. But in a effort to not let people level to epic in 10 hours as was done a lot in those days. The devs cut the xp in half.

But even if the devs would restore the old values of xp gain it does not address the OP her suggestion.

Thera

Post by Thera » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:56 am

Prestige wrote: It took me about 84 hours of silentgrind to hit high epics with an optimal 3-man group of full ECL characters (permahasted greatsword wm, extremely optimized pdk tank, and a wizard), without any gear beyond 2stat/mithril for the tank, int/con for the mage, and str/con for the WM. It was very boring, and I cannot say I recommend.
Jiggers. It feels like the penny just dropped for me.

Can the thread be locked please?
"Arelith isn't about fun - It's about math, and WINNING"

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:51 am

Prestige wrote:84 hours of silentgrind... I cannot say I recommend...
when people deliberately go out of their way to isolate themselves and play only an extremely tiny portion of the overall experience the server provides, be that only crafting or only grinding then no you're not going to have a good time. And hopefully it will stay that way.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:43 am

-adventure mode doesn't solve the need to hack things up entirely, but it will mean you have to hack /fewer/ things up and get more time to roleplay!
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:47 am

For me adventure mode is the first thing I'll switch on yay

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:09 pm

WanderingPoet wrote:-adventure mode doesn't solve the need to hack things up entirely, but it will mean you have to hack /fewer/ things up and get more time to roleplay!
For me, this is first and foremost an adventure server.
If you don't go out, put yourself at some form of risk and have a chance to see the world, see the modules, the monsters, the many mechanics, and experience the abilities of your character in a situation of tension, then you simply don't merit to gain adventure XP, since there is no new feedback for you to process.

Your character can still grow in other ways, but levels merit at least some degree of dedication to it. This update vastly minimizes the dedication you have to put to it so you can occasionally leave in an adventure, experience what the world has to offer, and come back to roleplay freely, whilst your character is still processing the information of their last adventure.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:24 pm

The thing is, in itś basis Arelith is a RP server not a adventure server.
Yes it has many great dungeons and caters to a lot of adventure type play.
And it is a good thing there are many of us who do enjoy adventure RP.
And I am among one of them. But I also enjoy RPing a master and apprentice RP, and I still think sertain types of RP requier a lot of dedication as well. And the dedication may in my eyes be rewarded as well.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:01 pm

liver and bones wrote:
Cortex wrote:It could be both.

You get +2 points every 2000 craft points used or so, up to 60. But you still get +2 every level up, and it still caps at 60.
That sounds super interesting. As much as I like not having to grind both, I never understood why spending time crafting didn't offer you some sort of experience towards being able to craft better things.
That seems like a totally fair compromise. An adventurer is out seeing the world, it makes sense that their mental and physical development might benefit their trade skills in some way.

Despite the arguments against craft progression from crafting, it can't be denied that it is the most widely implemented solution, used in practically every RPG that has a crafting system. There are countless examples to draw inspiration from and build upon. On the other hand, I'd argue NPC classes and segregated xp streams create more problems than they solve.

I've seen this anti-"cheese monger" argument come up now and again for years now. How can people think this way when our server is host to, among other things, an extremely sophisticated -- probably the only in existence outside of MUDs -- city leadership/politics system? Which, by the way, existed in non-mechanical form settled among players long before there was code to support it.

Yes, this is primarily all about killing ogres, but the reality is people want a context for all of that to matter, at least something else to do from time to time. Virtually every RPG has non-combat mechanics, "yeah bro you can be a fisherman if you want" was one of the rallying cries of some of the first MMORPGs created. It seems to me that people actually do want to play clerks and turnips. And this isn't a defense of social RP (if we must talk in these terms) but that I am just not buying this crusty pnp rhetoric.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:37 pm

Thera wrote:Can the thread be locked please?
By request of OP, it is so.