What happened to enchanting?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

susitsu

What happened to enchanting?

Post by susitsu » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:50 pm

Over a year ago, I was playing the PC Nyilan, and thanks to extended patience and a magic god, I was able to sink 600k in and make it out with the gear I wanted.

Before that, on a monk with no magical saves, I was able to make my own two stat gear for those early levels. Now I can't do that on any characters.

Now on an ESF enchanter, while attempting to create two sets of gear, I obtained literally no godsaves at 100% piety and destroyed all of the gear even when just going for three skills, two stats.

...Was this some shadow update? I can't even bet on a god save now?

As is, the system is simply unappealing. Wow, I need to go silently grind more gold now and not even have time to RP. Wew.
Last edited by susitsu on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gods_Kill_People

Re: What happened to enchanting?

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:52 pm

As an enchanter, make sure your piety is at 100% and is one of the gods of magic. I have been doing his nearly daily and have had great results.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:52 pm

Looks like you've been rolling poorly.
:)

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:53 pm

Gods_Kill_People wrote:As an enchanter, make sure your piety is at 100% and is one of the gods of magic. I have been doing his nearly daily and have had great results.
1. Read my post.
2. You should be able to do it "nearly" every 2.5 hours.
Cortex wrote:Looks like you've been rolling poorly.
This has been how it was ever since I came back. I don't think Ive been rolling poorly for almost a year now.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:55 pm

Yes, and I've multiple friends who have played enchanters very recently with great success, deity saves included.
:)

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:56 pm

susitsu wrote:
Gods_Kill_People wrote:As an enchanter, make sure your piety is at 100% and is one of the gods of magic. I have been doing his nearly daily and have had great results.
1. Read my post.
2. You should be able to do it "nearly" every 2.5 hours.
Cortex wrote:Looks like you've been rolling poorly.
This has been how it was ever since I came back. I don't think Ive been rolling poorly for almost a year now.
1. Read my post
2. I do this every 2.5 hours every single day, so yes, its just you.

vaclavc

Post by vaclavc » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:38 pm

Confirmed, enchanting works normally. RNG is a bitch, though.
-V-
Retired characters: Thazmudin; Cyrianthir; Zalastrien; Nebuzirah; Qaenuhir; Toruvilen Sivolun; Vaeluzir.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:34 pm

As I was told once when asking about god saves, the gods are unpredictable.

Astral

Post by Astral » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:37 pm

They are definitely not predictable. I think their odds on 100% piety are lower than 50% now.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Sab1 wrote:As I was told once when asking about god saves, the gods are unpredictable.
One could say that.. the gods.. work in.. mysterious ways.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:48 pm

Why is it this way, then? As opposed to letting people more consistently standardize gear across the board, it's just sort of a near endless grind of crafting and farming mobs. This seems like an undesirable scenario, for even level 30s to still be aggressively grinding, instead of roleplaying.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:54 pm

I have a feeling that if the chances were near guaranteed, the prices would be 3-5x higher, since Tom the farmer should not have fully decked out epic gear, nor should every lvl 5.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:16 pm

God saves haven't changed.

God In Action

Post by God In Action » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:35 pm

What people need to remember is that this whole game is constantly churning out dice roll, after dice roll, after dice roll. Imagine if we could tally up every single dice roll that had happened for any reason in Arelith's history, it'd be a bit like grains of sand on the beach.

Eventually with that many dice rolls, one players get a series such as "1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, ", etc., and becomes convinced that something other than random bad luck is affecting the odds.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:10 pm

Gods_Kill_People wrote:I have a feeling that if the chances were near guaranteed, the prices would be 3-5x higher, since Tom the farmer should not have fully decked out epic gear, nor should every lvl 5.
This statement simply doesn't make sense to me. Why should it be this way? I really see absolutely no reason, especially when compared to other seemingly overly (if not what appears to be literally guaranteed and only limited by a timer) god saves.
God In Action wrote:What people need to remember is that this whole game is constantly churning out dice roll, after dice roll, after dice roll. Imagine if we could tally up every single dice roll that had happened for any reason in Arelith's history, it'd be a bit like grains of sand on the beach.

Eventually with that many dice rolls, one players get a series such as "1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, ", etc., and becomes convinced that something other than random bad luck is affecting the odds.
This, however, I can understand.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:13 am

it's me. i absorb all the ones so no one else has to deal with it. beshaba will not let me die but she will also not let me succeed. i am doomed like sisyphus.

(this post made after i rolled 7 natural 1's in a row just trying to craft Large Cloth for tents)

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:57 am

Thank you for your sacrifice.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:33 am

Enchanting on Arelith can make even the most critical thinking mind turn superstitious.

I have had rashes where I literally CANNOT succeed...and no divine saves even on stupid 80% stuff. That is my cue to wait for reset.

I know I know, that supposedly has nothing to do with it, but it WORKS!

My current theory is that they left in aspects of power and presence...from the old days...

Or that just MY enchanting broke until reset...

Or you have to wait till your luck pools...

Just wait till reset when you even start to feel like you're getting a bad run. There may be no science to it, but it feels like you're doing something!
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:17 am

RedGiant wrote:
I have had rashes where I literally CANNOT succeed...and no divine saves even on stupid 80% stuff. That is my cue to wait for reset.

I know I know, that supposedly has nothing to do with it, but it WORKS!
I've had runs where I cannot fail and then runs where I cannot succeed, even on simple things. And sometimes, for some reason, the god save that I'm due just doesn't seem to come.

RedGiant suggests waiting for a reset, but I've found that my luck with enchanting seems to change every few hours when I get new crafting points.