Polymorph: Restoring Spells when exiting polymorph

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Polymorph: Restoring Spells when exiting polymorph

Post by ActionReplay » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Hey,

I added support for this some time back but limited to Wild Mages and now Elemental Shape for Druids. If you have a Wild Mage or a Druid able to use Elemental Shape can you please test this to see if its working as intended. Your spellbook is stored when entering Polymorph and restored 2.5 seconds when exiting polymorph.

* This is applied for all Wild Mage polymorph surges except the AoE ones
* Druid Elemental Shape

If its not working as intended please PM me the details such as your PC name and the Date and I will check the logs. If its working fine I will roll this out to all Polymorph effects.

Thanks in advance.

susitsu

Re: Polymorph: Restoring Spells when exiting polymorph

Post by susitsu » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:50 am

Wild mage surge with all the blue fog, polymorphed into pixie form, lost spells. Wielding staff.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:42 am

Are you going to be able to expand it to spontaneous casters? Those are the casters that really get hit hardest by the polymorph spell loss, since spells can continue to drain throughout the time you're polymorphed (rather than just losing 1 spell at the beginning of the polymorph, like druids and wizards do).

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:30 am

susitsu wrote:Wild mage surge with all the blue fog, polymorphed into pixie form, lost spells. Wielding staff.
Ah forgot that one, its still using the old polymorph behaviour.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:32 am

Lorkas wrote:Are you going to be able to expand it to spontaneous casters? Those are the casters that really get hit hardest by the polymorph spell loss, since spells can continue to drain throughout the time you're polymorphed (rather than just losing 1 spell at the beginning of the polymorph, like druids and wizards do).
Why is it drained throughout? At area transitions and saving perhaps?

I don't see why this should not work for spontaneous casters however.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:12 pm

ActionReplay wrote:
Lorkas wrote:Are you going to be able to expand it to spontaneous casters? Those are the casters that really get hit hardest by the polymorph spell loss, since spells can continue to drain throughout the time you're polymorphed (rather than just losing 1 spell at the beginning of the polymorph, like druids and wizards do).
Why is it drained throughout? At area transitions and saving perhaps?

I don't see why this should not work for spontaneous casters however.
It has to do with the difference between how Arelith removes spells when a spell slot is lost. For a wizard, you lose the rightmost spell slot. If you regain the spell slot, you'll get it back, emptied. If you then lose it again, you lose the empty slot on the right, so you don't lose another spell being the one you lost before.

For a sorcerer, losing a spell slot means taking -1 to your number of available castings at that spell level. If you regain the spell slot, you don't regain anything at all (no "empty slot" like a wizard gets). When you lose a slot again, it takes yet another casting. Repeating the process takes you down to 0 spells at certain levels eventually.

And yes, since the polymorph is refreshed on each transition, sorcerers will eventually lose everything from certain spell slots.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:30 pm

Ah right. Yeah I doubt this will work for that. Might need a different implementation as currently I am storing the spellbook and replenishing it left to right for each circle after polymorph ends. But with sorcerers this is different. I'll look into it, if anything seems like it should be easier to just remember the number of casts left for each circle and store that rather than each unique spell id for each circle. But I recall there was an issue with restoring spells for Sorcerers ages ago, like it was bugged or something.

Karris the Anarchist
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Karris the Anarchist » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:36 pm

Ohgodyes.

Will test when I get back IG.
That which doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:14 am

Question:
Should this work with standard polymorphing/shapechange?
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:01 am

Iceborn wrote:Question:
Should this work with standard polymorphing/shapechange?
I think I covered most Polymorph so yes. At least in spells, elemental shape, wild shape and surges.