Spellsword

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Spellsword

Post by CragOrion » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:20 pm

Its nice to see this come out

However

Spellsword seems to me like something that should be available to sorcerers

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Spellsword

Post by Iceborn » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:29 pm

I'm not against them being available to sorcerers, but I don't know how they could be remotely any balanced considering the other charisma-based classes and combinations that they could take.

Though there's one thing that sort of bothers me...
Blocking conjuration doesn't make any sense to me. I'm okay with them "relying on themselves", but that should be absolute - meaning, they should have all summoning spells blocked individually, and not conjuration as a school. After all, this deprives them to use the basic, standard and always-loved mage armor, but they are perfectly fine to take Epic Mage Armor? It's an epic spell, yes, but it's a conjuration-based epic spell.

And they probably should get martial weapon proficiency. That'd be nice.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:45 pm

Spellsword-Sorcerer/Paladin

Welcome to cheese hell.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:27 pm

Oh wait, this suggestion was not a prelude towards the ultimate removal of Paladins as redundant niche class nobody wants and/or needs to exist?!

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:42 pm

CragOrion wrote:Its nice to see this come out
However
Spellsword seems to me like something that should be available to sorcerers
I would be open to it being available to sorcerers... i'm not open to change the path to be based on CHA for them because of
gilescorey wrote:Spellsword-Sorcerer/Paladin
Welcome to cheese hell.
Iceborn wrote: Though there's one thing that sort of bothers me...
Blocking conjuration doesn't make any sense to me. I'm okay with them "relying on themselves", but that should be absolute - meaning, they should have all summoning spells blocked individually, and not conjuration as a school. After all, this deprives them to use the basic, standard and always-loved mage armor, but they are perfectly fine to take Epic Mage Armor? It's an epic spell, yes, but it's a conjuration-based epic spell.
This is being looked at and considered :) but it will be a little while before anything changes.
With regards to losing mage armour... the bonus AC by INT could be considered a different form of mage armour, you are directly manipulating the weave to protect yourself
Iceborn wrote: And they probably should get martial weapon proficiency. That'd be nice.
I like the idea

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:00 pm

Can't we just have Spellsword Sorcerers with Charisma based, but forbid them from taking levels in Blackguard or Paladin?

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:12 pm

Rwby wrote:Can't we just have Spellsword Sorcerers with Charisma based, but forbid them from taking levels in Blackguard or Paladin?
Or cleric or RDD?

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:56 pm

-XXX- wrote:Oh wait, this suggestion was not a prelude towards the ultimate removal of Paladins as redundant niche class nobody wants and/or needs to exist?!
it's time to stop posting

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:07 pm

That was uncalled for *cries in the corner* :cry:

I hope you got money

Post by I hope you got money » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:25 am

I dislike just about every suggestion made here!

-Available to sorcerers will make it a sorcerer kit (assuming its a cha based bonus) because paladin saves, ac and damage bonus will make it way better then anything you can do as a wizard.

-while mage armor is a good spell for this class, its not really necessary and the short lived "summons" a wizard with this path can still cast (persistent blade and the armored horror later on) i think are flavorful for the kit and are so short lived no regular wizard would ever use them.

-giving them martial weapons from the start isn't all that bad, but again we are talking about wizards going beyond their normal abilities, and I think that feats or cross classing should represent that.

Anyways, I'm about 3 hours in on my spell sword, and so far it seems really solid. While its certainly rough going early on I think that is a good thing, because it looks to be really good later and the slow start will weed out quite a few making it a rarer class.

I hope you got money

Post by I hope you got money » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:04 am

One thing i would do, and this is based on another conversation, is give the spell sword path +3 cl against dispel. A battle cleric that gets dispelled is going to have to take a few moments to rebuff, most spell sword builds I can think of (with the exception being a still spell build) are just dead.

addon, you can also make it so that the cl +3 vs dispel goes away if they are wearing armor.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:45 am

Could a sorc spell sword path be keyed off something else? Certain skills/skill ranks? Certain feats?

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:55 am

I hope you got money wrote:-Available to sorcerers will make it a sorcerer kit (assuming its a cha based bonus) because paladin saves, ac and damage bonus will make it way better then anything you can do as a wizard.
Why not just disable paladin bonuses (saved / divine might / divine shield) if you take the path? That seems like it would solve all paladin balance issues.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:54 pm

Scholar Midnight wrote:Why not just disable paladin bonuses (saved / divine might / divine shield) if you take the path? That seems like it would solve all paladin balance issues.

That or block Divine classes/magic in general as the character focuses on weaving arcane more closely. Kind of like how Kensai lose all magic.

That'd block Rangers/druids so no naturey spellswords, and paladins/clerics so no divine power/divine might/divine shield/divine grace. This would also block scrolls which limit use of divine power/favor etc as well.

And not let the path be taken if they have divine levels, of course.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:13 pm

WanderingPoet wrote:
Scholar Midnight wrote:Why not just disable paladin bonuses (saved / divine might / divine shield) if you take the path? That seems like it would solve all paladin balance issues.

That or block Divine classes/magic in general as the character focuses on weaving arcane more closely. Kind of like how Kensai lose all magic.

That'd block Rangers/druids so no naturey spellswords, and paladins/clerics so no divine power/divine might/divine shield/divine grace. This would also block scrolls which limit use of divine power/favor etc as well.

And not let the path be taken if they have divine levels, of course.
That's basically what I suggested!

Tetra

Post by Tetra » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:16 pm

Sorcerer is one thing but don't block ranger for wizard spellswords... That's too useful a combination and it's not overpowered. Rangers on arelith aren't necessarily divine classes either.

I was wondering last night about Arcane Archer spell swords. Effective? Overpowered or underpowered? Don't do it?

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:21 pm

Tetra wrote:Sorcerer is one thing but don't block ranger for wizard spellswords... That's too useful a combination and it's not overpowered. Rangers on arelith aren't necessarily divine classes either.

I was wondering last night about Arcane Archer spell swords. Effective? Overpowered or underpowered? Don't do it?
The damage bonus won't stack so not an issue, probably a weaker pairing if anything

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:33 pm

...Why not just make the bonuses still based on intelligence? Arelith's gift system is more than generous enough for a two-stat dominant mage build to not strain itself and still make significant gains. My own sorcerer/true flame started with a 19 charisma and an 18 intelligence, and a 9 in wisdom and an 8 in dex. Dexterity becomes expendable in the face of cat's grace + full plate and tower shield, and then you're adding int as a dodge bonus. Wis 9 doesn't hurt that much since you're an arcane caster.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:52 pm

Because then you don't have the points for strength, making your character bloody useless.

And besides, it makes zero sense. Why would a sorcerer benefit from intelligence with respect to arcane magic?

The Guy everyone thinks is Memelord

Post by The Guy everyone thinks is Memelord » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:06 pm

Kirito wrote:
Rwby wrote:Can't we just have Spellsword Sorcerers with Charisma based, but forbid them from taking levels in Blackguard or Paladin?
Or cleric or RDD?
Kirito wrote:or RDD?
Why ban them from taking a subpar class
:thinking emoji:

That said -- with regards to making it available to Sorcerer, I'd personally say that first we should evaluate whether the path itself is going to stick around (and more importantly, whether it should be revised).

Personally, I just don't know that sacrificing two entire schools (one, as Iceborn pointed out, including a slew of buffs; the other doubtlessly being either Evocation (making you a Battlecleric with lower AB and no SoV equivalent) or Necromanceries (thus meaning you're a meme that can't use Raise Dead scrolls or Any form of Magical Healing (see: worse battlecleric))) is really worth debating to turn into a unilateral path for Arcane classes before balancing it.
Nitro wrote:About time to be honest, the forums have been a bit hostile of late.
Nitro wrote:a bit.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Raise Dead and healing spells are conjuration, not necromancy. Moreover, they're explicitly not blocked for Spellswords.

Tetra

Post by Tetra » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:15 pm

Last edited by Tetra on Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Guy everyone thinks is Memelord

Post by The Guy everyone thinks is Memelord » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:18 pm

Well -- the Raise Dead was news; although I was mostly referring to Greater Restoration as the go-to with Conjuration being blocked when I mentioned "no access to magical healing".

Healing spells are specifically excluded from the Conjuration ban then? That feels like something that'd probably be well placed added to the class notes!
Nitro wrote:About time to be honest, the forums have been a bit hostile of late.
Nitro wrote:a bit.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:31 pm

The Guy everyone thinks is Memelord wrote:Well -- the Raise Dead was news; although I was mostly referring to Greater Restoration as the go-to with Conjuration being blocked when I mentioned "no access to magical healing".

Healing spells are specifically excluded from the Conjuration ban then? That feels like something that'd probably be well placed added to the class notes!
Greater Restoration is actually necromancy (despite the rest of the restoration line, and indeed most of the healing spells in the game, being conjuration).

I'm not sure why. In the Player's Handbook, it's Conjuration (Healing). It isn't marked as a bug on the NWN wiki though, despite most of the other mis-schooled spells being marked as such.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:56 pm

Peppermint wrote:Because then you don't have the points for strength, making your character bloody useless.

And besides, it makes zero sense. Why would a sorcerer benefit from intelligence with respect to arcane magic?
1: We acknowledge that spellswords, optimally, will multiclass a 27/3, since there is no penalty for such and whether wiz or sorc they're going to want to take advantage of armor. In fact, looking at the bonus list, unless they desperately want +1 ab more, they'll probably go 23/4/3.

2: We therefore acknowledge, in the pursuit of optimization, that this secondary class is most likely bard (medium armor proficiency, shield proficiency, umd, discipline) or fighter (heavy armor proficiency, discipline). If the second class is bard, they still need to get heavy armor from somewhere. If it's fighter, then 3 rogue will round out the build and they'll be able to get epic weapon specialization, too.

3: Getting strength is pretty easy if your kit demands it when you can cast 9th level spells.

Re making sense: Because spell-swords aren't using their magic to increase their AC, they're using their wits to outsmart their opponents and gain dodge ac by predicting what they're going to do. Being likeable/pretty doesn't help with that. When a spellsword uses their magic to increase their ac, typically they cast mage armor, or edit: Cat's Grace. :oops:

Finally- this entire line of thought is assuming that spellswords are actually going to use the class to main melee, rather than using the class to get some neat perks- perks that can be stacked with armor so that they have another option besides spamming a rod of frost to keep their spells for moments when it counts, and still primarily being casters.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002