Weapon Variety Discussion

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Hunter548

Re: Weapon Variety Discussion

Post by Hunter548 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:49 pm

Ambigue wrote:
Cortex wrote:While I enjoy the idea of having specialized weapons and armors that work better in X situations, it's also important to keep in mind not a lot of people will enjoy carrying around a dozen swords and five pairs of pants.

Yeah. I think most folks should get by fine with their main weapon and something very different to use as a backup should things not work out, but that's about it. Two melee and a ranged/spells should cover most situations.
The problem is a lot of people are already carrying that.

I recently got done playing a dex based WM with a rapier, roleplayed as a fencer/swashbuckler type. For most of the life of the character, I was carrying:
Three different rapiers, one bronze, one greensteel, one damask. (When I finally got some M. Damask, this became two rapiers)
A gonne
A crossbow
A couple of daggers.

All this weight added up, and it'd have gotten a lot worse if I need to have swords of Undead-killing, Golem-killing, Goblin-killing, etc etc etc. The 'Golfbag of Swords' approach isn't terribly enjoyable to my mind, and just serves to turn certain areas into a gear check: "Have you acquired the macguffin to kill the monsters here? If yes: Have fun. If no: Leave or die in very frustrating fashion." It's just not fun, and certainly doesn't breed interesting interactions with the area beyond "Avoid this place if you don't have X sword."
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Ambigue

Re: Weapon Variety Discussion

Post by Ambigue » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Hunter548 wrote:The problem is a lot of people are already carrying that.
Yeah. That's pretty ridiculous. Two melee options should be sufficient to cover most situations competently.

I meant something more akin to having options to cover two or three of the three main damage types and having that be meaningful in terms of taking down enemies.

I'm personally not a fan of the DR/+x mechanic. I prefer my monsters to have type-based damage resistances (or small, flat DR along with elemental weaknesses).

Thankfully, elemental weaknesses and resistances can be handled via temp essences to an extent. That mechanic might be the answer, though. Additional temp essences (or oils or something) that can be smeared on a weapon to make it more potent against certain enemy types or to deal additional physical damage rather than elemental.