Chat commands post Haks

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Sockss

Chat commands post Haks

Post by Sockss » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:09 am

Will things like -pray -surge, -fate, -chaos and -respite etc. Still be able to be used via text input post haks?

The very limited quick bar would be grateful for that (and me!).
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Re: Chat commands post Haks

Post by Morderon » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:24 pm

They may make it in as additional -usefeat commands.

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:05 pm

Losing - commands in favour of clunky feat buttons buried in the radial menu seems like a big QOL downgrade to me, except for the ones that need targeted of course.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:43 pm

DangerDolphin wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:05 pm
Losing - commands in favour of clunky feat buttons buried in the radial menu seems like a big QOL downgrade to me, except for the ones that need targeted of course.
Adding an aspect of action economy to spells, especially ones with combat implications, may well be closer to the intended function of many of these. But you're right in that they could do with being looked at from a balance PoV further down the line.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:57 am

I'm mostly concerned with simply not having any room on the toolbars as it is (unless haks can somehow extend this? That would be amazing). It would be nice if both the feat and the -command is an option.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Zeskay

Post by Zeskay » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:39 pm

I'm mostly concerned with simply not having any room on the toolbars as it is (unless haks can somehow extend this? That would be amazing). It would be nice if both the feat and the -command is an option.
I agree. If you have no quick slot to devote to it (casters don't have enough as it is...), you can type "-useafeat commandname," which is arguably faster than finding it in the radial menu, but can still be tricky when you are in a pinch.

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:08 pm

Very much agree with what others have said. Any character that casts spells, especially, already has to economize their use of the toolbar because all three are already filled up. Adding more feats and removing the -commands is going to make them harder, not easier, to use. Could the -commands be modified to just have the same functionality as the -usefeat commands?

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:31 pm

You can always radial menu the new abilities. They're all on the radial menu the same way stuff like familiars and PT1 are.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:44 pm

Hunter548 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:31 pm
You can always radial menu the new abilities. They're all on the radial menu the same way stuff like familiars and PT1 are.
I think the point being made is that using the radial is a pain in the Snuggybear for spellcasters, rogues, or anyone else who very easily fills up all of their hotkeys, especially if they've been relying on the chat commands because the bars are already full.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:52 pm

Honestly it's about just as fast to navigate to them via the radial menu as it is to type them out, maybe even faster once you get used to where they are (Snapshot counter spelling, anyone?)
And if hotbar space is an issue now then you obviously haven't been macroing them anyway, if you have then just use that space for the new ability versions....
So basically it's "typing vs radial", and I find it hard to believe anyone will have a harder time using the radial over typing it out, especially like I said once you get more accustomed to where they are in the radial menu, chances are it'll be faster in no time.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:36 pm

You can use numpad to navigate radial menu very quickly. I never do this because I manage to stuff everything onto my hotkeys somehow, but it's possible.

If you learn a little combo on the numpad you can get to your favourite ability faster than typing, or you can make a macro.

n00bdragon

Post by n00bdragon » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:22 pm

Well, at least I can stop dying because I accidentally -pary or -gard
Chasugana: [Xanalress]: *she takes a sip, thinking it over for a time and staring at the wall* Do you think I am honest?
Rauvlin Xun'viir: [Xanalress]: *she chuckles* Chasu, thou art an assassin, a spy, and a drow.

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:42 pm

Hazard wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:36 pm
You can use numpad to navigate radial menu very quickly. I never do this because I manage to stuff everything onto my hotkeys somehow, but it's possible.

If you learn a little combo on the numpad you can get to your favourite ability faster than typing, or you can make a macro.
Someone tells me this after I switch to tenkeyless.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:39 pm

I really dislike that -command functionality was removed. I play a wizard with zero hotbar space for all these new feats, and the radial menu is really cumbersome. There's a lot of lesser used commands that I wish I could still type to use, like -teleport or -track. The loss of -teleport is especially frustrating. Could the text commands be added back? If the feats are now actions and not instant, I don't think it would actually harm anything, would it? The text commands would just queue up using a feat.

A good woman

Post by A good woman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:03 pm

so because of this change, i can no longer use ANY abilities if i am polymorphed that i could have when they were -commands. all of them become the "unpolymorph" option. i can't do anything but that.

having -commands hurts nobody. we literally added -usefeat commands because the radial menu is weird and clunky. please give them back.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:15 pm

Tottaly agree. I'd love to see the -command remain along side the rest for the reasons stated previously. No harm in having two ways to get at things. NWN is full of that, and it's to its beneift imo.

A good woman

Post by A good woman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Yma23 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:15 pm
Tottaly agree. I'd love to see the -command remain along side the rest for the reasons stated previously. No harm in having two ways to get at things. NWN is full of that, and it's to its beneift imo.
yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:30 pm

why reduce quality of life

who is hurt by -commands

my pain is constant and sharp
Intelligence is too important

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:42 pm

Why were noncombat -commands even removed in the first place? No point in not having access to them for those who prefer text commands over having to navigate the command wheel even more.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Is there any word when/if these will return?

I can't surge at the moment :(

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Is there any word on when/if these will return?

Aside from quickslots being full, I can't surge at the moment :(

let it trip

Post by let it trip » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:01 pm

Hazard wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:36 pm

This is an especially amazing and underrated technique to free up hotbar space.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:58 pm

-pray command no longer seems to be functioning for my PC at all.

Kind of a big deal, being as it got my PC killed to things that they would have otherwise easily survived. Rolling a 1 on a daze check sucks. Just got the "You are unable to perform this action" message.

Did -pray get nerfed, or did you break the command entirely?
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:28 pm

I just posted in another thread on this, then saw this topic which seems more appropriate. The Guard feat honestly takes much longer to use than the old -guard [Player name] method. The -guard method was much better for me, and I'm still not sure why they had to be removed entirely. It seems like allowing them to maintain their same functionality while adding the new feats adds QoL, but removing the -command option decreases QoL.