Ogres an dualwield

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

CptJonas

Ogres an dualwield

Post by CptJonas » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:17 am

I just double checked that...Ogres get special size treatment just with large weapons. When you try dualwield 2 medium weapons you will get same result as normal sized races.
That doesnt make sense mechanic and lore wise...
I know...I know...changes on reward races are not too much supported...but can this be changed?
I would love to dualwield some nice two battle axes with barb ogre...

Zed

Re: Ogres an dualwield

Post by Zed » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:17 am

You also cannot dual wield greatswords. which is a shame.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:38 am

Was it intended? If it is an oversight and it is mechanically feasible it would be a nice thing. Ogres are not all that strong.

If that is changed I will finally be able to create Druzzt, the Ogre Ranger with dual Scimitars and a black cat, whose name and style were copied by some drow male.

Zed

Post by Zed » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:57 am

Thats seems like and awesome and totally original character.

:D

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:39 pm

Ogre monk that dual wields quarter staves.

CptJonas

Post by CptJonas » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:46 pm

Hazard wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:39 pm
Ogre monk that dual wields quarter staves.
Nah...dont speak about ogre monks in my presence....I am still pissed about large sized ogre have same unarmed damage as medium sized races :D

Zed

Post by Zed » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:29 pm

If the let ogres dual wield greatsword I would make an ogre named druzzt and name my swords twunkle and frostiedeath

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:05 am

I recently had an ogre PC test out dual weilding longswords, and they reported that the penalties reflected a light offhand weapon. Is this no longer true?

Disciprine Come From Within

Post by Disciprine Come From Within » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:01 am

Interesting suggestion. Why not just give Ogres a nice +2 AB when off-handing a medium weapon to simulate their size? Then you can have all the fun of Ogres with two battle axes.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:34 pm

I understand that the normal state of how size works in the game is that creature with "large" size value treat "medium" size value weapons as one size smaller, therefore working as if a medium-sized creature were dualwielding two small weapons or as if a small-sized creature were dualwielding two small weapons. I've understood that the ogre subrace gets the "large" creature size value upon race activation and doing all the other size-related stuff to the character as well. So yeah, it should work as normal!

Cptjonas, for a sanity check, you can make sure that you have Two-weapon fighting AND Ambidexterity feats. Now, when you dualwield longswords, you should have a -2/-2 to both hands instead of the AB you have when wielding a single weapon. If this is not the case in the character sheet, check it again in the combat log by attacking a door (doors don't get flanked or flatfooted, which might disrupt the test).
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

CptJonas

Post by CptJonas » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:42 pm

Opustus wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:34 pm
I understand that the normal state of how size works in the game is that creature with "large" size value treat "medium" size value weapons as one size smaller, therefore working as if a medium-sized creature were dualwielding two small weapons or as if a small-sized creature were dualwielding two small weapons. I've understood that the ogre subrace gets the "large" creature size value upon race activation and doing all the other size-related stuff to the character as well. So yeah, it should work as normal!

Cptjonas, for a sanity check, you can make sure that you have Two-weapon fighting AND Ambidexterity feats. Now, when you dualwield longswords, you should have a -2/-2 to both hands instead of the AB you have when wielding a single weapon. If this is not the case in the character sheet, check it again in the combat log by attacking a door (doors don't get flanked or flatfooted, which might disrupt the test).
I finaly got to test it again, and now with door test...
I was right...
With ambidexterity, two-weapon fighting, and light off-hand weapon you should have -2,-2
But with both off those feats and ogre dualwielding medium weapons you get -4,-4...
And one final point.....you can have large weapon in one hand and shield in other....but you cant even wield large weapon in one hand and have small in other.....Which is quite meh...
So its even worse then I thout.....

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Hun yeh, something funky there.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

CptJonas

Post by CptJonas » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Opustus wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:07 pm
Hun yeh, something funky there.
Meh..And I actualy wanted to build some actualy workable build on Ogre....gues...it looks like I will must stick with Imaskari

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:14 am

I have eagerly been waiting for Arelith to do something spectacular involving ogres and EE. I would love to see the ogres actually get the proper size class they deserve and should be classified as giant sub-race when fighting dwarves / gnomes / special giant killing essence. They should also get a special huge category weapon to compete with the superior and smaller orog greatsword WMs.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:05 am

Ogres not being able to dual-wield large weapons is an engine limitation. Regarding monk unarmed damage and dual-wield penalties, that scaling is hard-coded.

Hopefully all this can change in the future, but much of that would depend on Beamdog opening up more of the base game engine to modification.

Edit: It is possible to give scripted AB bonuses to ogres in certain instances. It is a bit clunky and would contribute to soft AB bonus caps, but is at least quite feasible.