Djinni Bottle

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

PinataPlethora

Djinni Bottle

Post by PinataPlethora » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:35 am

So, I happened upon a Djinni Bottle. Ultra-rare, only seen three since their introduction, and people want tens or hundreds of thousands for them. The last one I got, I popped it open, and this jerk tries to kill me. Whatever, I can take him again.

Bust open my shiny new bottle, and out pops Sir Djinn the Ornery. You said what, now? Gimme that wish!

Wish Granted! Spell Resistance! Sweet! Probably only lasts a few hours, but at least I can go and mess up those casters I hate, and laugh hysterically as their magic bounces off of my PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!

First thing the first enemy in the first mob I encounter does is hurl a 4th level turd of a spell at me, and it's gone. Breached.

Just what kind of cut-rate Djinni are you people hiring around here?!

Given the rarity of these items and the risk (to lowbies, at least) of using them, I feel like their effects shouldn't be so easily dismissed. It makes what should be a special moment entirely unspecial.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Djinni Bottle

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:43 pm

PinataPlethora wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:35 am
So, I happened upon a Djinni Bottle. Ultra-rare, only seen three since their introduction, and people want tens or hundreds of thousands for them. The last one I got, I popped it open, and this jerk tries to kill me. Whatever, I can take him again.

Bust open my shiny new bottle, and out pops Sir Djinn the Ornery. You said what, now? Gimme that wish!

Wish Granted! Spell Resistance! Sweet! Probably only lasts a few hours, but at least I can go and mess up those casters I hate, and laugh hysterically as their magic bounces off of my PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER!

First thing the first enemy in the first mob I encounter does is hurl a 4th level turd of a spell at me, and it's gone. Breached.

Just what kind of cut-rate Djinni are you people hiring around here?!

Given the rarity of these items and the risk (to lowbies, at least) of using them, I feel like their effects shouldn't be so easily dismissed. It makes what should be a special moment entirely unspecial.
A high Wisdom helps when using Wish. You can get negative effects from the bottle.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:45 pm

That doesn't address what I was saying, but I suppose I shouldn't have phrased it as a humorous story.

Wishes should not be easily reversed, whether good or bad. They're wishes. They're supposed to be special, but they're not.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:48 pm

You gotta rub him the right way.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

thingsicantdo

Post by thingsicantdo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Wytchee wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:48 pm
if you wanna be with me,
baby there's a price to pay.
i'm a genie in a bottle
you gotta rub me the right way.
if you want to be with me,
i can make your wish come true,
gotta make a big impression
i gotta like what you do.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:41 pm

thingsicantdo wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm
Wytchee wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:48 pm
if you wanna be with me,
baby there's a price to pay.
i'm a genie in a bottle
you gotta rub me the right way.
if you want to be with me,
i can make your wish come true,
gotta make a big impression
i gotta like what you do.
thatsthejoke.jpeg
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:56 am

Right so the short answer is that from what I've seen the Spell Resistance is easily dispelable.

Zed

Post by Zed » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:46 pm

I think the spell resist is a low level wish that your wisdom can achieve, I think its possible that it is a random effect based on a roll and your wis modifier.

IMHO it should be a chosen effect that is a roll based on your wis roll and modifier if you actually get what you want.