Kensai removal

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Post Reply
NegInfinity
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:03 pm

Kensai removal

Post by NegInfinity » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:56 pm

I feel like Kensai could be made work properly if it had similar restrictions as True Flame.

Meaning - "no magic from any source", including potions.

So, would be a good idea to consider that instead of outright removing it.

User avatar
Xanos950
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:00 am

Re: Kensai removal

Post by Xanos950 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Then that would be just the 1st Generation Kensai.

Gods_Kill_People
Posts: 568
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:59 am

Re: Kensai removal

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:59 pm

Thats exactly what the original Kensai was before they started gutting it...now Kensai is just beyond broken.

NegInfinity
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Kensai removal

Post by NegInfinity » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Xanos950 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:57 pm
Then that would be just the 1st Generation Kensai.
I think it would be cool to bring it back, then.

I mean, I remember looking for people to use restoration scrolls on me. Was quite disappointed when I found out that i can do that, and they don't have even an UMD check.

User avatar
Cortex
Posts: 3418
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: Kensai removal

Post by Cortex » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:26 pm

The original was a trap path that newbs would take and later regret.
Scurvy wrote:This is a fine stance to have, but a little misplaced in a mechanics feedback thread, don'cha think?
EVERYONE I DONT LIKE IS A CYRICIST

Tourmaline
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:51 am

Re: Kensai removal

Post by Tourmaline » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Frankly I'm surprised True Flames haven't been removed as well.

Nitro
Posts: 1689
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:04 pm

Re: Kensai removal

Post by Nitro » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:59 pm

Tourmaline wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:14 pm
Frankly I'm surprised True Flames haven't been removed as well.
Because true flames are remarkably balanced. They have incredible DPS potential, possibly the greatest of all classes, but need to have the safety net of a protector to utilize it fully. But even without it, they can manage decently with some clever play on their own and aren't OP in PvP since they lack any protective measures.

NegInfinity
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: Kensai removal

Post by NegInfinity » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Cortex wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:26 pm
The original was a trap path that newbs would take and later regret.
Well, it WAS supposed to be challenging. A huge warning would be enough.
Tourmaline wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:14 pm
Frankly I'm surprised True Flames haven't been removed as well.
True flame is an ultra high risk class. One mistake and you're dead in seconds. Very challenging to play, but in a fun way.

That's the reason why I brought up similar restrictions for kensai - because true flame restrictions work so well.

User avatar
Cortex
Posts: 3418
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: Kensai removal

Post by Cortex » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 pm

NegInfinity wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 pm
Cortex wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:26 pm
The original was a trap path that newbs would take and later regret.
Well, it WAS supposed to be challenging. A huge warning would be enough.
Tourmaline wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:14 pm
Frankly I'm surprised True Flames haven't been removed as well.
True flame is an ultra high risk class. One mistake and you're dead in seconds. Very challenging to play, but in a fun way.

That's the reason why I brought up similar restrictions for kensai - because true flame restrictions work so well.
There was a warning but at the same time it wasn't fully clear (at least not enough that there'd be lots of people who regretted taking kensai). Picking a harder to play but rewarding type of character is one thing, picking a path that weakens your character for a challenge is another. You can essentially do the latter already by gimping yourself and making a DEX light hammer WM or something equally bad.
Scurvy wrote:This is a fine stance to have, but a little misplaced in a mechanics feedback thread, don'cha think?
EVERYONE I DONT LIKE IS A CYRICIST

User avatar
Baron Saturday
Posts: 1804
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:34 am

Re: Kensai removal

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:14 pm

At the end of the day, the kensai path was always a problem in one way or another, and I kinda doubt that the dev team wants to open that particular can of worms again.
Cortex wrote:dont listen to baron for good builds hes bad mkay

Sab1
Posts: 1255
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Re: Kensai removal

Post by Sab1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:18 am

Kensai could of worked had it just been kept simple, but there was always something powerful being added. Increased Speed, perm freedom, +6 saves that would always put it out of whack. It went from being really really hard to simply a powerboost like the original PDK. How Kensai is now seems pretty tame and I don't think breaks anything like +6 saves did, you get a few benefits and some penalties.

Post Reply