Ghostly Siren - Daze

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Gods_Kill_People

Ghostly Siren - Daze

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:44 pm

This officially lasts far too long, I was paralyzed twice and it still took another three minutes for it to officially wear off. These are found on the Ghost ships.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Ghostly Siren - Daze

Post by yellowcateyes » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:33 pm

While you're dazed, you can drink a clarity potion to remove the debuff.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:40 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:While you're dazed, you can drink a clarity potion to remove the debuff.
While this wasn't an option for me, it doesn't change the fact that I went through being paralyzed twice while this effect was still on consistently without fading.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:47 am

Not everything can be adjusted to fit a particular build. Every character has to have weaknesses. Otherwise where is the challenge to an area?

And, I'm certain durations of spells / effects will be looked into regardless.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:09 am

In a similar vein, can the web bolt attack most spiders have be reduced in duration? They have no save and last upwards of two whole minutes. The fight is long over and I'm just standing there waiting for it to expire. The duration doesn't add to the challenge; it's just insufferably long.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:55 pm

Or.. Or.. Or!

Prepare for the fight?

"Where are we going?"
"Somewhere with lots of Spiders!"
"Oh dear, we better ask a Priest to come with and Ward us, or, buy a wand"
"What? No.. Who even does that? Just get a DM to fix it."

If your Character doesn't know what to expect, expect the worst. If you Character knows what to expect and still isn't prepared? Well, that is just blantantly relying on respawns to save the day.
DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:05 am

I don't think Web lasting 2-3 RL minutes is 'preparation'. There's a point where something lasts longer than combat by magnitudes and then it's just cutting into the fun of the game. Web, Fear, and Paralysis lasting 5 RL minutes or etc is an example of this. IT's just hands off the keyboard and watch, nothing to do.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 am

Yeah, having webs and other CC in is fine. Having to sit around for several minutes after a fight twiddling your fingers because the duration is absurd is not.

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Then, don't go there.

If you don't want to prepare and don't want to endure it.. Don't go there? That's a simple solution, right?

Or or or!

RP..

*Growls, cutting at the webs furiously* "Jis'.. Gimme'o second." *He snarled and snorted "Knew oiy should'o prepared f'this fight.. Now oiy jis' look like'o muppet."

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:18 pm

"Don't go there" isn't an answer to "This fear literally lasts 4 RL minutes if you ever accidentally get bonked with it when your clarity or mindblank isn't up."

Some mechanics have to give way to making the game enjoyable to play.

I imagine RPing hacking at touch attack no save 3 RL minute webs will get tiring after the first.... three, btw.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:56 am

I get some mechanics can be annoying but unless they are causing silly deaths or something i do not think we need to tweak everything.

With those spiders I had a great time Rping my character being stuck.

"Let me help you.."
"No! I got it this time just... Got to..." * trips getting her hair stuck "Oh- hells."

*Partner smirks but face palms*

Annnnways... Point is, that's sorta the cool part about being on an rp server you can take advanatge of situations like that. If you're going to go grinding then don't go to that spot if the webs times bug you. *shrug*

As far as fears and paralyze go,

Yeah those can suck. But after it happened the first time we never made the same mostake again. I guess my go to response isn't "Why is this mechanic broken" but rather "What can I do differently to not get put in a bad spot"
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Wytchee wrote:In a similar vein, can the web bolt attack most spiders have be reduced in duration? They have no save and last upwards of two whole minutes. The fight is long over and I'm just standing there waiting for it to expire. The duration doesn't add to the challenge; it's just insufferably long.
Agreed!

I'd go far as to say all bolts could really do with being removed. They're a pretty binary way of adjusting pve.

At the least they should come with a save.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Web bolts glitch my AC half the time.
:)

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:55 pm

Sockss wrote:
Wytchee wrote:In a similar vein, can the web bolt attack most spiders have be reduced in duration? They have no save and last upwards of two whole minutes. The fight is long over and I'm just standing there waiting for it to expire. The duration doesn't add to the challenge; it's just insufferably long.
Agreed!

I'd go far as to say all bolts could really do with being removed. They're a pretty binary way of adjusting pve.

At the least they should come with a save.
They do come with a save. That save being 'Preparing yourself before the fight for Spiders and getting a Freedom Wand or Ward.'

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:11 pm

That's not a save, that's an immunity.

There's a big difference.

Edit:

I feel as if I need to explain why it's bad.

Firstly, immunities shouldn't ever be required to be valid. They're a very binary thing and an exceptionally poor way to balance anything.

Note how there are no saveless disables/death spells that PC's possess.

Save the eyeball familiar, which I'm surprised no one uses for the cheesy saveless 3 round KD bolt, as it's pretty much a guaranteed victory in any 1v1 scenario.

Why is it binary and why is it bad?

Said PvE area is never visited by anyone who has knowledge of the server, unless they have appropriate immunities. So you have two scenarios that play out in the majority of cases.

Either the AI will waste time performing useless actions on foes that are prepared. (Bad)

If the player has little knowledge and is unprepared, the bolts will usually kill them. (Bad)
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Given this was entirely my first time on a ghost ship, I wasn't prepared for them, nor for their attacks as I had never before encountered them. Also for a fact, this does not detract from the fact of they last WAY too long. If its lasting longer then "2" rounds of paralysis BACK TO BACK and STILL lasting another "3" minutes then there is clearly something wrong with the timing of this spell that needs to be reviewed. Please quit ignoring it with...."Hur dur, well git gud". That's not a valid answer to this issue.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:51 pm

Cortex wrote:Web bolts glitch my AC half the time.
Chug a dex pot and the bug goes away. Not a fix, but at least it can be dealt with.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.