Spellsword Weapon Imbuing Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Nitro

Spellsword Weapon Imbuing Feedback

Post by Nitro » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:29 am

Now that I've had some time to test out the different damage types on different levels, there are some that stand out to me as better (or worse) than others.

Magic: Less damage, but almost never resisted. 10% dispel is neat but not OP.
Acid: Really strong early on, but scales off pretty fast, would suggest to lower the starting damage, but increase it with higher level spells imbued.
Cold: Solid utility, haven't tested if/how it stacks, but having what is essentially an on-hit slow with decent DC is great utility.
Electric: Scales poorly, like acid. Good for clearing large mobs of weak things, and doing good DPS in a party earlygame, but almost entirely useless later on when the average enemy has 200+ HP.
Fire: Haven't tested if it stacks, but the -3 AC is a solid debuff, makes both you and your melee friends hit more.
Negative: Super OP in the early levels. 15 damage/healing means that mobs that fail the save often die instantly and top you off to full. Remains useful in later levels as the raised save DC gives you a reliable 15 HP heal on hits, lets you save a lot of gold on maintenance healing.
Sonic: Basically useless, a wand of silence cast on self can accomplish this effect more reliably, allowing you to put a useful buff on your weapon instead.

My biggest feedback would probably be to have the effects scale with higher level spells, and not the damage, right now if you just want to get some quickie heals you just need to keep a Negative Energy Ray prepped to cast on your weapon, saving you a more valuable higher level spellslot for some other casting.

Sidenote: It would be nice if two weapons could be imbued at once for dual-wielding swordmages, who already lose out on the armour bonus as a penalty.

Purplemyst
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Spellsword Weapon Imbuing Feedback

Post by Purplemyst » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:10 pm

Have you tried equipting your second hand weapon to the main hand weapon? I found that I could enchant both my weapon as well as the weapon of someone in my party by holding it.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:22 pm

Unequipping a weapon removes the imbuing, you likely tried this before that change was in.

Purplemyst
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Purplemyst » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:46 pm

Oh, it must of been updated since I played last night.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:47 pm

as of next reset, you should be able to imbue left hand melee weapons

(also thanks for the feedback)

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:57 pm

15 bonus damage and healing strikes me as bonkers good in every world it exists in. I don't know high end monster fort saves, though, so who knows. I think that one is really the standout to me as 'too good'.

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:18 pm

TimeAdept wrote:15 bonus damage and healing strikes me as bonkers good in every world it exists in. I don't know high end monster fort saves, though, so who knows. I think that one is really the standout to me as 'too good'.
Too good at the start, levels off a bit later... you have to hit and they have to fail a save in order to get that damage/heal at higher levels.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:56 pm

Kirito wrote:
TimeAdept wrote:15 bonus damage and healing strikes me as bonkers good in every world it exists in. I don't know high end monster fort saves, though, so who knows. I think that one is really the standout to me as 'too good'.
Too good at the start, levels off a bit later... you have to hit and they have to fail a save in order to get that damage/heal at higher levels.
This. It's *really* good in those early levels when enemies hit you for <5 damage. But it levels out really quick. At level 7 it supplements my heal kits but I still spam them like crazy.

Compare it to Blade Thirst which (to my knowledge) doesn't have a save.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:42 pm

For me Cold imbue was the most useful so far around lvl 10 areas, cutting off a target apr by 50% (in those places) is pretty good and hits occasionally enough but not too often so the DC seems fine. I do agree that electrical and acid are pretty BS late game but you can switch to fire instead.

Imbue armor still doesn't work, right?
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Compare it to Blade Thirst which (to my knowledge) doesn't have a save.
Blade thirst is also vampiric regeneration which is buggy as hell & only gives a fraction of hp when you first get access to it. (+3 @ level 11)

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Astral wrote:Imbue armor still doesn't work, right?
Shield works for me!

Question: is the point of imbue armor that you can use scrolls on it that last as long as casting a spell would? Genuinely curious how this is meant to benefit the Spellsword.

Really enjoying the path, anyway!

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:09 pm

Wytchee wrote: Question: is the point of imbue armor that you can use scrolls on it that last as long as casting a spell would? Genuinely curious how this is meant to benefit the Spellsword.

I think the idea is to use something like Acid shield, who is a short duration spell, and the duration will start only when you take a hit. so you cast it after you rest and you surprise someone in pvp without needing to waste precious time to cast it.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:53 pm

Tried imbuing ghostly visage into my armour, didn't work, said that spell can't be imbued.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:57 pm

Astral wrote:
Wytchee wrote: Question: is the point of imbue armor that you can use scrolls on it that last as long as casting a spell would? Genuinely curious how this is meant to benefit the Spellsword.

I think the idea is to use something like Acid shield, who is a short duration spell, and the duration will start only when you take a hit. so you cast it after you rest and you surprise someone in pvp without needing to waste precious time to cast it.
Yeah, but is the duration scroll duration or wiz level duration? ('cause it says the level on the item you cast on). I'm trying to test it now, not sure how long shield is supposed to last from a scroll but it seems to last 4 minutes when cast on armor from a scroll (and I'm wiz level 4).

Wondering if I'm level 23 wizard, will a scroll of Shield cast on my armor last 23 minutes?

Rabbid
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rabbid » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:50 am

Nitro wrote:Tried imbuing ghostly visage into my armour, didn't work, said that spell can't be imbued.
Not all spells can be imbued. Once the path has settled and tweaks made, there may or may not be a list of what can be imbued done up.

Stay tuned for more!
Kalgoon wrote:Drow PC waltzed into Cordor and proceeded to murder like disco was going out of style
Kuma wrote:It's 1372 after Bane's resurrection but before the Silence of Lolth
Which means that Elminster has been trapped in hell for 130 years
+1

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:07 am

Can you imbue a weapon with a permanent essence?

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:44 am

The imbue doesn't seem to get along well with temporal effects, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a permanent one.
That means that until level 21, imbuing a weapon is basically a glorified essence with extra effect.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:20 am

If the temp essence goes on first, imbue should work fine but I can see why it would strip the other way around.

Permanent works fine with imbue

Imbue armour is meant to reflect a contingency type spell. And should last through rests too, effectively givingr 1 extra spell.

If there are any spells that have been missed for imbue weapon, shout up too :)

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:31 am

That's pretty awesome actually.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:53 am

I tested it with a perm essence I found on a mob.

+5 GMW scroll -> 2 damage perm essence -> temp essence > imbue works fine and is super strong.

I am doing like 30-40 damage a hit at level 8. Of course I think I'm the only spellsword I know who went strength-based. xD
Last edited by Wytchee on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:55 am

So...if you have a temp essence on a weapon and then imbue it, you get both the temp essence and the imbued weapon (damage and secondary affect)?

I have noticed that if you place a temp essence on an imbued weapon, the imbued damage goes away, but you still get the secondary affect. Also, can confirm that perma essences do work with imbuing and they stack.

I have noticed that you cannot poison an imbued weapon though. You get a message "this weapon is already poisoned" when you try.

Still loving this path! It is a lot of fun!

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:25 am

Griefmaker wrote:So...if you have a temp essence on a weapon and then imbue it, you get both the temp essence and the imbued weapon (damage and secondary affect)?

I have noticed that if you place a temp essence on an imbued weapon, the imbued damage goes away, but you still get the secondary affect. Also, can confirm that perma essences do work with imbuing and they stack.

I have noticed that you cannot poison an imbued weapon though. You get a message "this weapon is already poisoned" when you try.

Still loving this path! It is a lot of fun!
Poison would probably work like temp essences in that if you put one on and then imbue they would stack.

I don't think that you could do temp+poison+imbue, imbue would strip the previous two at that point unless you were wiz21.

This will be a limitation of the code unless some NWNX magic gets worked since I don't think I can tag item properties in the same way as I can tag effects on people

That is to say, if I did enable it now it would allow everyone to stack 2 temp essences

Astral

Post by Astral » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:36 am

right now you cant stack imbue weapon with even one temp essence btw.

So it's not intentional? well, if I put anything on top of an imbue it will over-write on the first line of the imbue (the bonus damage) and then I get the temp essence damage + the imbue effect. in case I put the essence first and then imbue, the imbue will over-write the essence and leave me with the imbue damage and imbue special effect.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Tested lightning imbue a bit more, seems to trigger a separate, lower DC save for each enemy struck by the AOE lightning, and only does 1-2 damage.

And on armour imbue, wouldn't it fit thematically to allow all spells with a self or ally target (buff spells) to be cast on armour as contingency spells? It would be real neat to be able to trigger say haste, FoM, invis or a spell mantle when you get hit instead of a strictly defensive spell like shield.

TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:22 pm

Wytchee wrote: Of course I think I'm the only spellsword I know who went strength-based. xD

I did Too! Muscles AND smarts!