Spell Casting and Server Transition

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

theCountofMonteCristo
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Spell Casting and Server Transition

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:28 pm

When you transfer servers, you get your full spellbook back, where you can rebuff. But upon changing from one zone to the next, you instant cast all the spells you cast on the previous server.

So this leads to a few very odd things. For smaller scale, say that I walk from Cordor to the Tower, and have four castings of Bulls Strength. I ward myself with Bulls Strength and my companion and we set off. Upon transferring to the Surface, I renew it on myself and on my companion. As soon as I transition into the Tower or towards Bendir etc, the server forces me to cast it twice more because I cast it on the Cordor server. Thus eating all four of my castings of it.

This is really really weird. It has been this way since the server first split, and always bothered me a little.

So what would really happen if it were removed? What functions of the game would it break or unbalance?

Karris the Anarchist
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Spell Casting and Server Transition

Post by Karris the Anarchist » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:12 pm

It's always been a bit weird - although I don't believe it recasts the spells you used on the previous server, instead it re-casts the ones you did one the same server you just logged into, the previous time you were there.

I've gotten into the habit of always managing my rest quota, and take special care around server transitions, by having enough rest percentage (or booze) to be able to rest after one transition.

Most of the server transitions are in relatively harmless areas, so it's not that difficult to do. Well, except that one that leads into an army of CR 20 snow trolls. That's always a gamble.
That which doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger.