Minotaur Options

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

IAmSwampFoot

Minotaur Options

Post by IAmSwampFoot » Sat May 04, 2024 3:36 am

I know the bonuses, and the +3 ECL. But what is optimal class for Minotaur? Obviously Fighter or Barbarian would be a good fit, maybe with WM or some other Prestige class, but is there a class they excel at? I have a Greater reward and want to build something to play when my main character has nothing to do.

MRFTW

Re: Minotaur Options

Post by MRFTW » Sun May 05, 2024 1:03 pm

Minotaurs don't get any "unique" builds any more, as their innate spring attack was removed. It's also worth noting that the +4 listen/spot bonuses are kind of fake, as a large creature takes -4 on their detection skills due to their size, if I remember rightly.

That said, their large size and stat spread makes them a good candidate for Ftr 4 / Ranger 21 / WM 5 or Barb 21 / Ftr 4 / WM 5. The ranger one seems weird but you start with 8 wis (6 in a minotaur's case) because you'll be using wands for buffs and never actually casting spells yourself.

Both of the above are largely glass cannons and consumable dependent, and might not be to your liking. The bloodline option for minotaurs allows them to make a very nice battleshaman or cleric. Battleshamans come in so many different flavours you would be able to tailor one to the level of QoL you'd like.

Especially for an alt character, I try to get as much QoL in there as possible as I'm likely to not spend as much time gathering as I might on a main.