CHA Heavy Paladin Build Viable?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

TheBlueWizard

CHA Heavy Paladin Build Viable?

Post by TheBlueWizard » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:17 pm

Hey everyone. I've not long been back into playing NWN, and only been playing on Arelith for 6 months on and off when time allows.

So, I was feeling in the mood to make a Paladin character, some posh Noble's son who's basically been sent off to get him out of the way. All the best intentions in the world, but woefully misinformed as to how the actual world works without servants doing everything for him... but that's beside the point.

I've never been amazing at builds, and after looking at the cookie cutter builds for Paladin, I didn't see anything I particularly fancied.

Is there a reason not to take levels in Knight with a Paladin, or go into Divine Champion? Is it kinda redundant?

Also not seeing any references to making a CHA heavy Paladin and investing in Great Smiting? Is that again just pointless, pretty much 'cos it means you've effectively set yourself up to only be being good for 3 decent attacks?

Live in the UK, and my the bulk of my playing time tends to be the morning when the server's quite quiet, and often find myself soloing more out of necessity than anything else. Is a Paladin even capable of soloing the vast majority of Writ's and stuff?

Only requirements or things I know I've got set so far is Human race, either focusing on Longsword or Bastard Sword, if feats allow and whatnot.

So basically, any tips and hints for a good Paladin build?

Cheers for any help!

Drowble Oh Seven

Re: CHA Heavy Paladin Build Viable?

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:17 pm

First up, welcome!

So, quick summary. Paladin's one of those classes that either tends to be a 3-4 level dip, to pick up divine grace, might, and shield; or else something you want as your primary class to take full advantage of its neato spellbook. Because of the way dispels work; that tends to result in taking as many paladin levels as possible to make you less vulnerable to having your wards ripped out through your eyeballs. Because of that, taking an intermediate number of paladin levels (I'd say anyone between 5-22) makes you vulnerable (because you're casting from your spellbook, and you just don't have the levels to make those spells stick against dispels. Because of how NWN works, this also results in wards from wands, potions, etc, dropping off much more easily than would otherwise be the case). It doesn't mean you can't do it; but there's just not a real benefit to it - since those levels get you spells that gut your dispel resistance if you use them.

You absolutely can play with paladin as a dip class, which is what I'd recommend if you're looking for a 'paladin but with a different fighting style' PC.
TheBlueWizard wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:17 pm
Is there a reason not to take levels in Knight with a Paladin, or go into Divine Champion? Is it kinda redundant?
You can do it, it's just that the typical paladin tends to be pressed for feats, and you want to take bard/rogue as a third class to get access to tumble (which you need for AC) and UMD (which you need for counters to spells that can ruin your day). Most builds get around this feat starvation by either going heavily into paladin for bonus feats (27 Paladin / 3 Rogue) or taking fighter as a third class (as in the cookie-cutter build). Taking knight or divine champion will mean making some sacrifices, but it can be done. There's nothing stopping you from, say, taking divine champion instead of fighter in the typical build spread, if you really want to - There's bonus feats from Champion too, but you won't have a heap of levels in which to make wrath outstanding.
TheBlueWizard wrote:
Also not seeing any references to making a CHA heavy Paladin and investing in Great Smiting? Is that again just pointless, pretty much 'cos it means you've effectively set yourself up to only be being good for 3 decent attacks?
Pretty much. Smiter paladins can get the highest damage in the game; but for three attacks? For your entire build? It would be nightmarish to play, and I couldn't recommend it to anyone.
TheBlueWizard wrote:
Live in the UK, and my the bulk of my playing time tends to be the morning when the server's quite quiet, and often find myself soloing more out of necessity than anything else. Is a Paladin even capable of soloing the vast majority of Writ's and stuff?
For sure. Most reasonably solid builds can solo with varying degrees of comfort into the low epics; beyond which I tend to find myself needing a party. Some can go higher (Looking at you, casters). This is assuming you're a typical, STR paladin. DEX or gimmick builds tend to need buddies with more frequency. If you play a CHA paladin, you'll need to be carried everywhere.

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:55 pm

Your ab just end up being subpar/terrible for anything that is not those 3 smite attacks since your competing with character with maxex out dex or str and everything is scaled to their ab.

That being said, if your cha is stupidly high, you .might be able to avoid using combat expertise As much since your divine shield will last a lot longer. but with 30 levelimits its also considered a poor choice of feat investment for greater smite as there are core epic feats everyone else will take that you will most likely have to miss out on.

Zekzaer

Post by Zekzaer » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:36 am

I currently have a Bard 6/ Pala 4/ CoT 20 build that is CHA heavy. Makes use of bard for tumble and UMD, Pala for Grace, Might, Shield, and ive worked in Great Smite as well.

The build is based for a Gold Dwarf, but I can work it around a human and juggle some feats around for WF Longsword or BsSword, if you want.

He is currently lv 15 (5 lv CoT and can solo everything up to the Mino Warlord on Skal.) He mainline tanks in groups, and resists pretty much EVERYTHING with a 20 SR from a shield and gloves. Every once in awhile ill loose some buffs from a dispel, but thats what I have wands and Shield/Might for. Also with LoH and Smite stacking with CoT levels, ive got plenty of "Oh Crap" buttons.

Granted, I play with a close friend who built a character specifcally for this build to play with, but Ive soloed plenty of content with him.

If you want, PM me and I'll send you the build info.