Divine Zen Archer (Human, Longbow)

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Divine Zen Archer (Human, Longbow)

Post by Subutai » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:19 pm

I was looking to roll up a divine (Cleric or Paladin) Human zen archer using a longbow, but I really don't have any idea where to start. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

garrbear758

Re: Divine Zen Archer (Human, Longbow)

Post by garrbear758 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:53 pm

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19296

I would very highly suggest taking something with ranger levels so that you can produce your own ammo.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:29 pm

I think that link is outdated as far as cleric options go. Taking both archer and healer (double paths) is possible now since you don't have to choose at character creation. 25 or 26 cleric/ 5 or 4 ranger synergize really well.

As mentioned above you're a total masochist if you don't take archer path to generate your own ammo bundles as well as enough carpentry to constantly repair ammo templates. Even if you only take 4 levels of archer being able to add 3 attributes to iron arrows makes perfectly viable ammo.

Scraps

Post by Scraps » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:53 pm

You can repair ammo templates with your choice of Forging, Carpentry, or Artcraft! -So you'll have plenty of options open to you in terms of where to invest skillpoints.

However as everyone has already said, crafting yourself ammo can be a huge pain.

The biggest culprit just being the the amount of heavy crap you need to lug around on what is almost certainly a Dex/Wis build.

The raw materials for just a -single- bundle of damask or steel arrows is well over 100 weight.

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:52 am

Sea Shanties wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:29 pm
I think that link is outdated as far as cleric options go. Taking both archer and healer (double paths) is possible now since you don't have to choose at character creation. 25 or 26 cleric/ 5 or 4 ranger synergize really well.
I took a closer look, this specific build is still applicable with no significant (or any at all) changes even with the introduction of the recent changes:
Cleric 23 / Ranger 4 / Rogue 3

The build already took -path command into account. The feat selections are limited and the lack of spell foci will make it harder to level early game.

Maybe the little things that need to be discussed is whether the build takes UMD or divert more points into Lore and go for higher Lore ranks.

As for a paladin specific build, paladin and ranger generally don't mesh too well due to the wide spread of stats.

the grim yeeter

Post by the grim yeeter » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:46 am

27healer/3rangerarcher, ditch the rogue dip, take trans and necro/conj foci (preferably necro), and extend and maximize, no divine feats, take mummy dust and edk as your epic spells
Sockss wrote: There is an overriding premise that all changes should be appreciated and welcomed because someone has taken time out for free to make them. [...] I don't believe volunteering should put your work above criticism [...] .