Dragonshape Druid

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Straydog

Dragonshape Druid

Post by Straydog » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:10 pm

So, it seems that because of the changes to dragonshape and the addition of monolithic forms, there's no real reason to build around dragonshape. Nonetheless, dragonshape is cool. Are there any neat build ideas out there to synergize with dragonshape? I know there will be nothing as cool as dragonshape with monk, but is it really just as basic as "go druid 30 take EDR and use a suboptimal shape?"

Sea Shanties

Re: Dragonshape Druid

Post by Sea Shanties » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:17 pm

Nothing's going to beat 30 druid monolith shapes with or without EDR (don't think 9 EDR helps so much on a dragon, at least to be worth 3 epic feats.) There's probably some gimmicky builds you could make if you use your imagination (eg a wyrm cult totem druid/dragon dipping bard, ranger, rogue or assassin and making use of green dragon's stealth) but the builds will be gimmicky. Nothing wrong with gimmicky in my mind though. It's fun to run wonky builds some times.

Dragon shape isn't useless per se, it's just much weaker than it used to be and not as good as monolith shapes. You can still make them work on a pure druid. With the huge shape and AB bonus you'll be pretty good at using knockdown, for one thing.

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:46 am

This isn't an optimal build, but one I had some good fun playing.

ranger(archery)5/druid25 zen archer with ESF: illusion for a -project_image archer copy for a ranged pet

As the image cannot cast anyway most cleric self buffs are worthless and you're still looking at low to mid 40s AB. So you have 2 archery turrets with the ability to shift yourself into a dragon for close range stuff and plenty of discipline thanks to ranger. An image doesn't copy polymorph properties (like immunities) or dodge AC so while you can have triple dragons (you, image, EDK) walking about, your image will be far weaker. Also allows for your pet dps to still be on the target while you block an entire hallway as a massive dragon.

PvE for a druid is a breeze, my minor bit of PvP experience happened pre-dragon form while leveling. I tended to summon up a swarm and then desummon whatever elemental I wanted to be for normal grinding. In 2 out of 3 of the PvPs the other side didn't even realize anything OOC was amiss as they pulled the one-line and attack, on the image.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:54 am

Barbarian has some small synergy with DS as the shape counting ad armed and thus gain rage bonus dmg. You’d be limited to 5 barb lvls though as the current DS is definately not worth a wis 30 investment.

Ranger is also ok as it gives access to both stealth, disc, allows 4 apr and an extra epic bonus feat if ranger lvl 5 is taken on an epic lvl

You can cast epic spells while wildshaped so getting esf: evo and hellball/g-ruin allows for some trickery while in DS.

They will never beat the raw strength of monoliths though

BobTheSkull

Post by BobTheSkull » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:54 pm

If you are going totem/monk DS allows for you to hit and bypass DR. Totem is right up there with a wet noodle for dps and zero ways to beat DR. You will lose a ton of AC in DS so it is very situational. And in the end, just a fun RP mechanic of you are of that level.

But to the call of the question: no, there is zero reason to build around DS.