Monk builds

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Lunia

Monk builds

Post by Lunia » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:54 pm

Hey folks I'm terrible at builds and am looking to make a pure unarmed monk. I have little to no skill In building my chars. I know monks had alot changed to it. Has anyone got a build layout for the char or can help make one?

Shaeris

Re: Monk builds

Post by Shaeris » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:07 pm

Monks are in a strange position regarding unarmed fighting. They get bonus feats to have epic weapon focus and spec for it, however they don't get the prerequisites to either. Which, in essence, means you're expected to sacrifice two feat slots in order to be on the same pedestal as a monk that's using one of their speciality weapons. (That being Katanas, Kamas, Quarterstaffs, Clubs.)

I'm not quite sure if this is intentional, or just an oversight on behalf of the developers. Either way, it's a hefty price to pay for going the route of something that's already mechanically sub-par. After all, no "unarmed" weapons exist to provide the same bonus to AB and damage that a masterly damask weapon would. To enchant properties on them such as keen and so on. To apply essences on them, permanent or temporary.

Mind you, I don't use sub-par lightly. I tend to make a lot of decisions with my builds in the name of RP flavor that I could otherwise be devoting to mechanical convenience. I just feel as though it's nonetheless something you should be aware of before deciding that this is for sure what you want to play.
Past Characters: Shaeris Sedranas, Katrysa Seran, Zarune, Nishara Sedranas, Maevren Ebonhawk, Syralen, Sevrana (Disguised), Seradria Della'thar.

Astral

Post by Astral » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:15 pm

you dont really need a build layout for this.

30 monk lvls

essential feats: expertise, improved expertise, blind fight, weapon finesse if dex based, weapon focus unarmed.

Essential skills: discipline, hide, move, tumble.

You will have plenty of free skill points and feats to play around with. Do not take Circle Kick.
Shaeris wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:07 pm
no "unarmed" weapons exist to provide the same bonus to AB and damage that a masterly damask weapon would. To enchant properties on them such as keen and so on. To apply essences on them, permanent or temporary.
Monk gloves give same ab bonus and damage as masterly damask weapons and you can apply essences on them.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Shaeris

Post by Shaeris » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:22 pm

Astral wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:15 pm
Shaeris wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:07 pm
no "unarmed" weapons exist to provide the same bonus to AB and damage that a masterly damask weapon would. To enchant properties on them such as keen and so on. To apply essences on them, permanent or temporary.
Monk gloves give same ab bonus and damage as masterly damask weapons and you can apply essences on them.
Oh, that's a big oversight on my part then. I looked through the entirety of the weapons list, but the gloves you're talking about are in the Tailoring section of the wiki exclusively. Wasn't aware that essences worked on them either, good to know.

Edit: The only downside I see from this is the fact that it takes up your glove slot, and not your weapon slot. As a result, you can't actually enchant keen or mighty on it as you normally would for a weapon; which leaves you with a +1 ability score as your only real option. A really minor nitpick considering the absurd amount of benefits monks get in general, either way.
Past Characters: Shaeris Sedranas, Katrysa Seran, Zarune, Nishara Sedranas, Maevren Ebonhawk, Syralen, Sevrana (Disguised), Seradria Della'thar.

Astral

Post by Astral » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:28 am

Shaeris wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:22 pm
The only downside I see from this is the fact that it takes up your glove slot, and not your weapon slot. As a result, you can't actually enchant keen or mighty on it as you normally would for a weapon; which leaves you with a +1 ability score as your only real option. A really minor nitpick considering the absurd amount of benefits monks get in general, either way.
Actually these gloves also come with +2 wisdom so you still get +2 to a stat on the gloves slot. Yes, no keen possible to enchant on gloves but on the other hand, you can use Stunning fist and you cannot be disarmed and your base damage is 1d20 as a monk so its quite balanced over all.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

BaRKyy

Post by BaRKyy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:37 am

PM'd you with some more information.
Jacetuhn Nerelith
Locksryn Vista
Banjo Morgan
Che Firenze
Sly Laenarys
James Hightower