Assassin Build Help

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Sindaglin

Assassin Build Help

Post by Sindaglin » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:39 pm

I am wanting to bring to IG a character I played in a pen and paper AD&D game . The character would be a female human that is a Assassin , Monk . The 3rs class I would like to do fighter for obvious AB reasons . The weapon of choice would either be a Katana , Rapier or Daggers . I am looking for the best blend of they above classes if Monk needs to be replaced with another class then so be it she was an Assassin specifically 1st and formost! I would greatly appreciate any help with this .
“ Brothers , what we do in life echoes in eternity “
Sindaglin Cu'thalion Sentinel of Myon - deceased
Arak War Chieftan of the Deep Legion -ActiveMain

Sea Shanties

Re: Assassin Build Help

Post by Sea Shanties » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:58 pm

There are a lot of options. Monks are pretty heavily customized now as you probably know.

12 Monk/12 or 13 Assassin/5 or 6 fighter would get you epic dodge if dex based and maximum attacks. It would be a pretty decent mix of abilities.

18 monk/7 wm/5 assassin could be a variation of the 20 monk/7 wm/3 rogue build that's common now, it would be weaker that being able to take 20 monk levels but you need 5 assassin levels to take contracts.

25 monk/5 assassin would probably be playable, or 20 monk/5 fighter/5 assassin.

Or if you want max assassin class benefits you should go 6 monk/5 fighter/19 assassin, probably using a quarterstaff or katana. I'd probably rather do that as a dagger wielding rogue/fighter/assassin myself (assassins have amazing daggers and would get +3 AB for using them.) You could be a dagger using monk I suppose though I hate losing the extra monk attacks.

If you don't want to use the assassins guild and take contracts you're probably best off just making either a pure monk or a 20/7/3 monk/wm/rogue. Nothing stopping you from taking money to kill people, just can't use the mechanical system .

I'm sure this just made you more confused, but if you want a specific one of these builds (or something else entirely) someone will surely elaborate, and surely someone else will come along and call me an idiot and all of these builds trash.