Assassin Question

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

facesmash

Assassin Question

Post by facesmash » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:49 am

So is it true that the paralysis attack that Assassins get is gone here? Chess is sighing in a distant land.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Assassin Question

Post by Shadowy Reality » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:56 pm

Fairly sure it is still there.
iirc the only change to EE is that is only triggers on the first attack of each flurry. And as usual, paralysis immunity just makes you immune to it. That's Duergar, RDD, PM and freedom.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:05 pm

Can confirm it was not removed. It just doesn't trigger often and has a pretty low DC unless you're heavily invested so you don't see it. It won't trigger if you're in combat already so has to come with a surprise attack, so you generally only get one chance at it in an encounter.

Hopefully some day that particular ability could be looked at and made a much shorter stun that triggers more often. Right now it's an "I win" when it works so it can really only work once in a very long while.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:10 pm

hopefully with haks the whole class can be reworked so its viable in all respects
Yes I can sign

facesmash

Post by facesmash » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:15 pm

Yeah I really like the class, and while I agree its initial duration and the amount of times the save proc's was pretty powerful, it feels pretty bad as it currently is but ah well. Just wanted to check. Not currently playing a sin anyway so its whatever, but maybe again in the future I'll bring it back. Thanks all <3

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:18 am

Sea Shanties wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:05 pm
Can confirm it was not removed. It just doesn't trigger often and has a pretty low DC unless you're heavily invested so you don't see it. It won't trigger if you're in combat already so has to come with a surprise attack, so you generally only get one chance at it in an encounter.

Hopefully some day that particular ability could be looked at and made a much shorter stun that triggers more often. Right now it's an "I win" when it works so it can really only work once in a very long while.
Frankly, I have to disagree. Its an 'I win' that only works if:
-You win initiative
-Are an int build (so your AB suffers)
-Have invested deep into assassin
-Can actually land the first hit.
-Your target fails a fort save.

...and even if the stars align, your opponent can easily -pray out of it.

The actual death attack is easily the worst aspect of the class, followed very closely by poisons, which universally require your opponent to roll a 1 to actually function in PvP, and don't fare much better in PvE.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:40 am

All of that is true and isn't contradicting what I actually said, which is that a 1 turn/level paralysis would be way too powerful an ability if it were to be anything but an occasional fluke. Freezing the victim for RL minutes is the "I win" that prevents making the ability viable.

If anyone were to ever make this ability useful or more reliable the length would have to drop considerably, like just half a round or dropping immediately when attacked.