Bluff vs Perform, wich one is better for a warlock?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Dedman1234

Bluff vs Perform, wich one is better for a warlock?

Post by Dedman1234 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:57 pm

From what I know, Arelith items are far more focused on the "perform" skill, rather than "bluff", so bards can gain the necessary amout for their song to work as intended. Apparently it is possible to get 100 perform to reach the requirement for lvl 30 bard song, while I don't recall a similar amount of bluff bonuses at all. As a warlock is technically a bard, that means he should gain access to the same items, making it possible to reach a similar number, at least temporarily for a visit in a town or something.

In most warlock builds I saw, everyone was focusing on bluff instead, despite the (I think) clearly superior option of investing in perform. Is there any reason for that? Maybe it is the npc dialogue or something, but since warlocks get dweomercraft of at least the 2nd tier, those should be possible to bypass by making the appropriate items in a basin.

Is there anything I am missing there?

TheDoctor

Re: Bluff vs Perform, wich one is better for a warlock?

Post by TheDoctor » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:48 pm

From the WIKI

Warlock Class Abilities

A Warlock is similar to a Bard, with the following changes:

Bard Song is disabled (note that Curse Song is useless without Bard Song)

Thats why you dont take perform and take bluff instead?

Remember a Warlock is NOT a Bard. Bards is just the class you take that turns on Warlock.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:01 pm

Bluff is better for you if you are a warlock, since bard song isn't something you can use. There are some places bluff lets you traverse.

TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Here is something you should probally read...

http://wiki.arelith.com/Warlock

Dedman1234

Post by Dedman1234 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:45 pm

I did read the wiki. It is just the thing, that a warlock has access to perform, wich can be used for disguises, just as bluff can. So, reaching 100 bluff is probably impossible, but doing the same with perform is (at least from what I've read, but even then it can be raised higher than bluff) I know it doesn't do anything other than that, since I don't have the song on a warlock. But still, since it can be increased to way higher numbers, that would mean you would be way harder to recognize while in disguise. It would also allow you to use multiple piecies of equipment with +5 perform, when you really wanted to stay hidden (Suede boots for +5 perform, while you could only put +2 bluff on normal boots).

The only advantage bluff has over perform I can see is the ability to pass conversation checks, like Tarkus mentioned, but I think those can be passed just by making items with +2 to all social skills.

In other words, a warlock with high perform would need to change equipment when they needed to pass a bluff check, but it would allow him to temporarily reach ~100 perform, wich would essentially create an unbreakable disguise when the warlock want to visit a city where they have a poor rep.

tl;dr: perform doesn't do crap except giving you a stronger disguise, just like bluff, but with bard specific items it can be temporarily raised to an ungodly amount, unlike bluff.

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:42 pm

You're right on the money. There's way more perform focused gear, so if unbeatable disguise is what you want, and you can pick Perform? Do it.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:42 pm

You need bluff. The only time you should take perform instead of bluff is when you're playing a bard.

Bluff is:
- for disguises
- to overcome exiles
- to enter places protected through conversation menus
- other conversation perks

Perform is:
- for disguises
- not used anywhere else on the server

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:29 pm

Though I'm not sure about entering places through convo menus, perform works for overcoming exiles

Dedman1234

Post by Dedman1234 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:00 pm

@up yup. perform results in a better disguise, wich is used to bypass exiles/outcasts.
As I mentioned before, bluff is only better for convo with npcs. Warlocks gets at least 2nd tier dweomercrafting, so it is not a problem to make a couple items with +1 CHA +2bluff +2persuade +2intimidate only for dealing with npcs. You might miss on some places, that require like 60 bluff, but if you really desire an unbreakable disguise for rp purposes, then perform is the way to go, I think.

Might-N-Magic

Post by Might-N-Magic » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:19 am

It's quite simple, really... There's a lot of Perform gear with decent bonuses to boost it for Bard Song, BUT... I have met at least 1 door (somewhere) that requires a good Bluff score to open. (Possibly more.)

So, do you care about opening as many doors as possible (Bluff) or do you care about having a more ironclad Disguise (Perform)?