Questions on ESF Illusion Projected Image

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

blksabbath74

Questions on ESF Illusion Projected Image

Post by blksabbath74 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:27 pm

So if you get ESF Illusion, what does the Projected Image count as?

Specifically, does it stack with Summons and Henchman, or count as a Summon or Henchman?

Would be easy to grab ESF Illusion in my build, but only if it doesn't take up a Summon or Henchman slot...as I've got those.

Thanks in advance.

Ascheriit

Re: Questions on ESF Illusion Projected Image

Post by Ascheriit » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:24 pm

I haven't ever had henchmen, but I have used it alongside my elemental summons before. So I think it is its own distinct thing.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:26 pm

I forget what it counts as re. summons or henchmen but as far as something useful in a fight goes it counts as a novelty. If you're trying to come up with a build where it's a combat buddy it's not that useful.

Ascheriit

Post by Ascheriit » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:33 pm

It works pretty well with deep gnome battle cleric. Using that +5 hammer on both yourself and the buffed illusion, and then having some other summon beat up stuff too. It also only takes 2 feats to achieve because of the free spell focus illusion for gnomes.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:48 am

a follow-up question from me. If you have equipped a Ranged weapon, can the Illusion work as a support archer turret?

Astral

Post by Astral » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:04 am

I'm gonna speak out of logic and vague memory so none of this is confirmed.

The self image counts as a henchman and it cannot use ranged weapons because it cannot have ammunition (so it will copy the creator's weapon which could be a bow but not the arrows).
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:18 am

it is a henchman. i have had it and a summon out at the same time

idk if it is capable of shooting. SERIOUSLY doubt it.
Intelligence is too important

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:20 am

It does work as an archer, I have a zen archer -project_image PC in fact. A few notes on it:

- It will never reload. So 500 arrows is the max it will have and you should always make sure you have a full quiver before using -project_image.

- It will switch on Rapid Shot when firing.

- If it gets into melee range it will switch to unarmed. It will switch back when out of melee, but it avoids provoking AOO from shooting into melee range.

- If you don't use the Player 1 Tool, it will agro on anything it can see, including stuff halfway across the map. This can either be hilarious or a great way to have way more than you want to deal with running at you.

- Do not memorize healing spells if you can help it, as when it gets low it will try and fail to heal itself despite the 100% spell failure.

- Never use -fetch on it if you are in combat and it gets stuck with a LOS issue with the enemy. If you do 9 times out of 10 it will never reequip the bow.

Edit: I'll go ahead and confirm that it is a henchman and you can have summons, familiar/companion, dominated thing, and another henchman out at the same time as the image.

Edit2: If you have Improved Unarmed Strike it may prefer the fists which is unhelpful behavior for a zen archer. So probably a bad idea on healer/monk builds etc.