Assassin build help

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

ObamaBeenLaggin

Assassin build help

Post by ObamaBeenLaggin » Mon May 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi im thinking about possibly rebuilding my character into an assassin should i manage to get an application approved and was looking for a bit of advice on the build.

I have been considering a rogue 10 / shadowdancer 5 / assassin 15 build so as to get feats like blinding speed and crippling strike as well as being able to HIP's.

Any help on how to order the levels and feats or advice on better spreads of the class levels would be greatly appreciated

the Character is a halfling and will most likely be using dual daggers

Sea Shanties

Re: Assassin build help

Post by Sea Shanties » Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 pm

There's a few problems- you have a little lower AB and can't get 4 attacks in the main hand since you aren't dipping a full BAB class. The assassin +3 for using daggers will help with the AB so it's not as bad as when I tried something similar.

But the BIG problem is you're totally feat starved-- the dual weapon feats take 3 slots, the shadowdancer requirements 2 more, then you need blind fight and weapon focus.. That's no room for expertise/imp expertise. Do you think you can live without it? HiPS and epic dodge will help but conventional wisdom says those are feats you can't do without.

And you don't have a discipline dump, which.. again, most would say is a terrible idea. Even with epic dodge you'll be knockdown bait.

10 rogue/5 fighter/15 assassin is probably a better choice to be honest and forego HiPS.

ObamaBeenLaggin

Post by ObamaBeenLaggin » Mon May 20, 2019 8:01 pm

I could live without HIPs in place of discipline Id completely over looked that stupidly.

Do you think it would be worth while also dropping the ambidextrous abilities in place of other feats as well?

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Mon May 20, 2019 9:01 pm

If you don't take SD and do take fighter you will have plenty of feats and you definitely want ambidexterity. Just take 8 rogue/8 assassin/4 fighter levels pre epic to get 4 attacks/round (has to be in blocks of 4 due to nwn math weirdness)

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue May 21, 2019 11:33 am

Can also go 10 ranger 5 sd 15 assassin, solve the feats and the apr problem. Trading hips for crippling strike.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Tue May 21, 2019 1:15 pm

Fighter is likely better than ranger in this scenario. You get weapon specialization. Needs at least 18 Dex at start after gifts, and should be an even number.

1- Rogue - TWF
2- Rogue
3- Rogue - Ambidex
4- Fighter - Expertise
5- Fighter - Focus
6- Fighter - Improved Expertise
7- Fighter - Weapon Spec
8- Rogue
9- Assassin - Blindfight
10- Assassin
11- Assassin
12- Assassin - ITWF
13- Assassin
14- Assassin
15- Assassin - Improved Critical
16- Assassin
17- Fighter
18- Assassin - Free choice
19- Assassin
20- Rogue
21- Assassin - Epic Weapon Focus
22- Assassin
23- Assassin
24- Assassin - Great Dex I, Prowess
25- Assassin
26- Assassin
27- Assassin - Epic Dodge
28- Rogue
29- Fighter - Epic Weapon Spec
30- Rogue - Blinding speed

You can drop 2 rogue for 2 more fighter and net Armor Skin. +46ab as halfling if math doesn't fail me.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Tue May 21, 2019 8:46 pm

That's a perfectly fine build. I think 10 rogue might be considered on a hin for the free shortsword and dagger feats which would let you use a dale sword and assassin's dagger... if you want, though two daggers works too. Also IIRC getting to 24 or 25 assassin+rogue levels gets one less turn of blinding speed cooldown and some armor and stealth bonuses (too lazy to look that up though.)