Vigilante Batman/Green Arrow Type Character

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Vigilante Batman/Green Arrow Type Character

Post by R0GUE » Wed May 15, 2019 3:59 pm

I had an idea to perhaps create a character who wants to clean up the criminal elements in Cordor, perhaps because he's a concerned citizen, perhaps because of a tragic backstory, but either way, he's basically a fantasy version of a costumed superhero.

Any ideas for a build? I was thinking either a monk/rogue (more Batman) or ranger/rogue (more Green Arrow). I'd like the rogue levels for Bluff so I can be a master of disguise.

I might wait until I can get an award so I can be a Noble and thus have a rich alter ego.

Anyone want to help me crowdsource this idea?

Astral

Re: Vigilante Batman/Green Arrow Type Character

Post by Astral » Wed May 15, 2019 6:27 pm

6 monk, 5 bard, 19 aa.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Wed May 15, 2019 6:41 pm

Astral wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:27 pm
6 monk, 5 bard, 19 aa.
So use Perform instead of Bluff for disguise? Or are we ignoring Bard Song altogether in your build?

Astral

Post by Astral » Wed May 15, 2019 7:03 pm

Might as well use perform instead of bluff regardless because perform from items comes in higher numbers. Bard song of a lvl 5 bard is basically 1 ab for all party for 1 minute. It can make a difference in extremely rare cases. Also, this build is detailed in the cookie-cutter pinned thread in the build-mechanic forum.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Wed May 15, 2019 7:54 pm

Green Arrow: 6 Ranger/13 Rogue/11 AA

Gets E-Dodge and Blinding Speed, for 6 attacks/round with rapid shot and blinding speed up, 3 of which are at highest AB-2 (which you can more than afford). Pre-epic your spread should 5/5/10 (you will lose an extra point of AB for doing this, but it allows you to take your last ranger level at 30 for discipline - on top of E-dodge and gear this should keep you from being pinned to the ground).

23(BAB)+6(AA)+3(EWF&WF)+16(Dex)+4(bow)=52AB prior to any buffs. Take ranger first level, path to archer, you will get rapid shot point blank shot for free, and the rogue levels will net you finesse for free, opening up pre-epic feats for essentials like blind fight and called shot (which you won't go high enough in ranger to get for free).

There is a lot of hate for archers with sneak attack, and there's valid points behind being reluctant to get close enough to qualify for the sneak damage, but when I hear "Green Arrow" this is what I think of. This archer puts out some pretty nice numbers reliably when it's not in sneak range, and they pretty quickly get all kinds of nasty when you find a safe opportunity to pluck someone from sneak range (ultravision and darkness in tandem work great for this in PvE).
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed May 15, 2019 8:14 pm

Or be a proper ranger archer and get HIPS and consistent all day damage that doesn't rely on you being in axe range of your opponent.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Wed May 15, 2019 8:27 pm

Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb and thought you were dipping shadowdancer.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 pm

I kind of agree with you aelryn that GA is a more close quarters kind of Archer. In the show he even will usually shoot a few shots then drop his bow and go hand to hand.

Would Shadowdancer work well for a more Batman style build?

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Wed May 15, 2019 9:38 pm

For hips, Ranger16 or SD5, so either regular ranger or a semi-gimmick like Bard8/SD5/AA17 would work.

For the rogue variant, epic dodge is a boost to survivability and Blinding speed will help you kite even though it's sparse. In certain areas cornersneaking is easy enough for solo play; in parties you would stand behind the melee attackers and toggle aggro by kiting around them thanks to unit collision.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Wed May 15, 2019 10:23 pm

Opustus wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:38 pm
For hips, Ranger16 or SD5, so either regular ranger or a semi-gimmick like Bard8/SD5/AA17 would work.

For the rogue variant, epic dodge is a boost to survivability and Blinding speed will help you kite even though it's sparse. In certain areas cornersneaking is easy enough for solo play; in parties you would stand behind the melee attackers and toggle aggro by kiting around them thanks to unit collision.
Also I've never been too much into pvp but with this character I imagine it would be a byproduct of the RP. Any thoughts about how to make it a decent pvp build?

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Thu May 16, 2019 12:32 am

What about a totem dip for bats? Batman with a horde of attacking bats sounds awesome