Orog Fighter/paladin/rogue with high bluff... possible?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Dedman1234

Orog Fighter/paladin/rogue with high bluff... possible?

Post by Dedman1234 » Sun May 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Got a lemony normal reward (second time in a row from rolling a 30... yay) and decided to try making lemonade with it, by creating something unique. I also wanted to make sure it will not suck (at least too badly) at pve and the occasional pvp encounter.

The char will basically be using the brycer build, with slightly mixed up stats and feats.

My idea was to take off 2 points off of STR and put them into INT for more skill points. Orogs get a racial +4 STR, it would put the guy on 18 strength anyway, wich is the same amount a human doing this build would have. Same with feats, orogs get power attack for free, so it's equal to a human in this regard.

The starting stats would look like this:
STR: 18
DEX: 6
CON: 12
INT: 16
WIS: 6
CHA: 18
Gift: Gift of the Gab (+6 bluff)

Now, here are the major changes I wanted to make:
-Delay the rogue dip to level 27, allowing me to get 32 into bluff.
-Drop the Great STR 2 and 3, instead take epic prowess, ESF: Bluff, taking away from my damage a bit, but not affecting the AB.
-Use the orog bastard sword and armor, instead of the usual options (not suprising probably)

And here comes the real problem. What skills should I decrease to get those 32 points into bluff? I know I can put both disarm traps and open lock on 1, giving me 6 points to spare. What then? I was thinking about taking away 6 from spellcraft (the additional INT will give me one more point there, so I will only be losing 1 in saves from that), giving me 12 more and then taking the remaining 14 off of heal. Is that a good way of doing it? Or should I drop some other skills in favor of spellcraft?

If I do end up making this guy, then I would have:
32+10(from 30 CHA)+6(gift)+10(ESF)+6(Bracer of Persuasion)+8(This one from rings, amulet and the belt)=~72 bluff
Is this high enough to not get my gray backside chased back into the underdark everytime I show it on the surface, pretending to be a horc... only to get chased back into the surface, because someone down there saw me helping a human or something?

I was also considering changing the rogue dip into a bard dip, to get access to perform, wich is easier to rise via equipment than bluff and having spellcraft as a class skill, but I seriously doubt it is worth losing evasion, uncanny dodge and skill points.

Would the build work as intended? And if it would not, any ideas on how to tweak it to work? I do not mind losing a bit of power for a better chance to execute the RP properly.

WJLIII3

Re: Orog Fighter/paladin/rogue with high bluff... possible?

Post by WJLIII3 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:45 am

Do you have two awards? Can you spend two awards on the same character? Orog is Normal, Good monster is another Normal.

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Mon May 13, 2019 9:53 am

WJLIII3 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:45 am
Do you have two awards? Can you spend two awards on the same character? Orog is Normal, Good monster is another Normal.
No, you can't spend two awards on the same character. No, Orog is not a normal reward.

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Mon May 13, 2019 10:07 am

You can probably remove the rest from Taunt. Most builds do not take Concentration, you get +10 just from Charisma.
If you prefer you can drop open lock, disable trap entirely and keep some points into Taunt.
Dedman1234 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:51 pm
Got a lemony normal reward (second time in a row from rolling a 30... yay)
My friend, let me tell you about my 20 characters rolled at level 26+. I have never gotten a Major Award (or 5% as they were called before), nor a Greater Award. More than half of those characters having been rolled after Greater Awards were introduced and half of those with over 1 million gold for the extra percentage.