Scimitar Creation

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Flashish

Scimitar Creation

Post by Flashish » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:44 pm

I'm looking to create a masterly damask scimitar and I'm a little confused about the proper order of operations regarding applying the essence and enchantments. Is the best approach to;

1) Make it.

2) Enchant it with keen.

3) Apply a permanent +4 fire essence. Fire is for RP reasons. Basically I want it red and I *think* fire essence is the only way to do that.

Those are the only three I absolutely need to have. I'm currently carrying an essenced greensteel so it would be a considerable improvement.

Is there only a 5% chance of it surviving the keen enchantment with a master enchanter doing the work? If not, about what percentage chance would I be looking at? If more are possible, what should I consider? Elemental damage? What sort of success rate would subsequent enchantments possibly have?

Basically I would like the cookie cutter end game scimitar recipe for your nearly stock cookie cutter F/WM/R.

Thanks!

Aftond

Re: Scimitar Creation

Post by Aftond » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:23 pm

Keen first, essence later. +4 perm fire will override any other temporary essences applied.

Keening a mdam weapon will always be a 5% doing it by itself.
I've heard the tier 3 weapon rune does work on a mdam weapon, so that would make it a 100% chance of keen.

Flashish

Post by Flashish » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:39 pm

I thought runes were only usable on certain loot matrix weapons? Like the ones with blue text or something? How does one find or create a weapon rune?

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:41 pm

Statistically, you're more likely to 5% keen on a mdamask than find a rune for it. Most people just pony up the enormous cost of keening their mdamask weapons than rune hunt for it.

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:46 pm

Flashish wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:39 pm
I thought runes were only usable on certain loot matrix weapons? Like the ones with blue text or something? How does one find or create a weapon rune?
Runes can be crafted using items found in the loot matrix. The wiki has some details. Runes suited for MDamask are rare, as Ork said.

If you were fortunate enough to find or make a high-level blade rune, than you could make a keen blade via 5% rolls, then apply the rune, place a permanent +4 essence on it, then dweomercraft an extra 1d4 elemental damage on it (at 100%, because of the rune), so there's no harm at all in making the keen blade and then crossing your fingers for a rune down the track.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:13 am

Unfortunately mdamask weapons count as 4 properties for runing. If you 5% keen, you won't be able to further rune the weapon.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:53 am

I thought that if you 5% keen a mdask weapon that it would onyl have three properties? the AB, the damage bonus and then the keen? Then add essence and it only makes it 4 properties thus able to be enchanted?

Also, you can't further rune something if it has more then 4 properties?

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:10 am

Adamantine weapons are artificially inflated with invisible properties to make them more difficult to rune.

https://pastebin.com/8KyJaXeE

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:12 am

I stand corrected.

Flashish

Post by Flashish » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:09 am

I sincerely appreciate the help each of you offered. I was worried it was a stupid question, but it is apparently as complex as I thought.

If I went the rune route, is it the masterwork blade rune I need or the masterwork forged rune? I don't think finding either are much more likely than that of me winning the lottery, but I'm still curious.

Also, I underestimated the difficulty of this. If I was to enchant a regular damask scimitar with keen, am I still looking at 5%?

Flashish

Post by Flashish » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:58 am

Actually if someone just wants to spell it out for those of us in the cheap seats, what is the "good, better, best" of F/WM/R scimitars?

Seems like greensteel, enchant for some elemental damage, tier one rune for... str maybe?, permanent essence is the "good" in the "good, better, best" paradigm, unless it's still only 5% for the first enchantment. By the time you're starting to think about higher end gear you probably have more greensteel ingots than you know what to do with, so even a 5% roll isn't a huge issue, at least for me.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:40 am

You would need a Masterwork Blade Rune
Flashish wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:58 am
Actually if someone just wants to spell it out for those of us in the cheap seats, what is the "good, better, best" of F/WM/R scimitars?
Good: Masterly Damask
Better: Keen Damask (achievable through a Tier 2 Rune)
Best: Keen Masterly Damask (achievable through a Tier 3 Rune or 5% in the basin)

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:16 pm

So it is not possible to have this:

Masterly damask weapon, 5% keen, +4 essence, T3 runed +1d4 extra dmg.

Which is ultimately: +3 attack bonus, +6 damage, keen, +4 essence, and +1d4

And from that paste bin link, a lesser moonblade can have two free 100% chance enchants due to it starting off runic and then a rune being added to it?

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:00 pm

BoltNRun wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:16 pm
So it is not possible to have this:

Masterly damask weapon, 5% keen, +4 essence, T3 runed +1d4 extra dmg.

Which is ultimately: +3 attack bonus, +6 damage, keen, +4 essence, and +1d4

And from that paste bin link, a lesser moonblade can have two free 100% chance enchants due to it starting off runic and then a rune being added to it?
Yes, because it starts with 3 properties (+4, undead vs damage, keen) and runic, so runic adds +1, then T3 takes over.

You cannot do the MD weapon you describe without a double hard 5%.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:23 pm

Ah.. then which would be better? So if I had the chance I should just t3 rune a keen on it and then apply essence?

Or would it be better to do a greensteel weapon? What is the max possibility of a greensteel WITHOUT going for TWO 5% rolls? One is acceptable

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:56 pm

Greensteel can be essenced (+1 property) then hard 5%'d for a second 1d4 element (+1 propert), then t3 runed for a 3rd elemental 1d4.

It can also be 5%'d for a non damage property (+1 property), t2 runed, essenced (rune already applied, no longer matters), then use the rune for 1d4.

It can also simply be t1 runed, +4 essenced (rune already applied, no longer matters), and then use the rune for 1d4.

Greensteel is pretty flexible in what you can do with it. It's also the low end for damage, but come free with keen and is cheap to make, which is a huge plus.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:01 pm

I see. So possibly in the long run the Master Damask runed would be better? Since it'd be (3 AB, +6 DB, t3 runed Keen, and then +4 essence?)

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:09 am

Isn't it impossibe to re-rune an item once it's already had a rune applied ?