Are Orog's made to be Bards

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Oshido

Are Orog's made to be Bards

Post by Oshido » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:15 pm

Seems like, other then human, Orog might be a good choice for a bard build.
Plus 4 str, plus 2 cha, Power attack.
Bard/BG/Fighter.

Would be able to use the Orog Bastard sword if you take the cookie cutter build and swapped toughness for Exotic. Making up for lost human feat by getting power attack free.

Any insights or reccomendations? Thinking of an absolutely beautiful and seductive Orog female that is mad with bloodlust. Wailing in battle, driving her comrades mad with bloodlust as well.

Questions;

What armour is this build using? Green steel? Buffing then throwing on plate? both situational?
Would be cool to also take advantage of the Orog Heavy Armour.

Taunt is worth taking and will have enough skill points to make it useful?

Roughly what ac, ab, saves does this thing get.

Cookie cutter goes for 18 cha, but is 16 not more optimal?

:Heads up:
I really like utilizing the custom content on Arelith, so race and racial items are equally as important to the finished build. After 15 years playing nwn optimal is not always the most fun.
:evil:

Poolbrain
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Are Orog's made to be Bards

Post by Poolbrain » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:42 pm

I'd S class a build like that. If memory serves with curse song etc you 'll have 70 efficient ac and more than 50 efficient ab with song and taunt.

Weakness is time to setup the buffs needed. Damage is good with div might but still less than WM.

Taunt is crazy good since you have high ac to tank the animation for it and song gives you extra skill and lowers your opponent. Ikd is crazy too as you can lower discipline with curse.

Still spell is probably optimal but you can do plenty of working combinations.

Most underestimated class.

Biggest weakness is like stated the time to prepare but gsanc scrolls is a thing in pvp which is where you have hard time to buff. Dispels can be annoying but doesn't remove div might/shield.

In pvp people ("good" pvpers , most probably won't since this is not a pvp server) will use restoration against the curse but atleast it gives you an opening for other shenanigans.

Oshido

Post by Oshido » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:59 pm

Restoration does that huh. What about the spell Remove Curse?

vaclavc

Post by vaclavc » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:18 pm

Unless it was changed recently, Greater Sanctuary cannot be scribed on Arelith.
-V-
Retired characters: Thazmudin; Cyrianthir; Zalastrien; Nebuzirah; Qaenuhir; Toruvilen Sivolun; Vaeluzir.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:17 pm

Poolbrain wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:42 pm
gsanc scrolls is a thing in pvp
No. You cannot make gsanc scrolls on Arelith. Gsanc scrolls are not a thing.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:24 pm

A time-stop scroll might work for those purposes. That said, most battlebards I see go the fullplate route. Buff pre fight, then slap on the armor. Which I would think means orog fullplate is super attractive.

Especially since the somewhat unfortunate mandate of effective bards, is to go strength based.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:19 am

Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:17 pm
Poolbrain wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:42 pm
gsanc scrolls is a thing in pvp
No. You cannot make gsanc scrolls on Arelith. Gsanc scrolls are not a thing.
They were/are in the loot matrix. I've seen a few around before. But the point stands, they aren't a reliable asset to build around.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Sartain

Post by Sartain » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:41 pm

You know what they say: anyone can sing but statistically, Orogs are better at it than most :D

CptJonas

Post by CptJonas » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:33 am

Orogs were made to be ultimate master race :D For BG. Literaly made for BG :D
Yeah....bard could work too :D

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:52 pm

Orog's imo are the most powerful race ig right now, BG, Barb, Bard all seem to be like Orog will excel at. With their dex and wis penalty, monk might be one of few classes they can't excel at.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:51 am

What orogs are meant for: WM & Charisma classes.
What orogs are not meant for: everything else.

They have a lot of cool abilities and indisputably powerful but I wouldn't play them as anything other than BG. Bard/BG is a great combo and I highly recommend it.

I would not, however, play them as a wizard, cleric, ranger, monk, barbarian, etc. They're typecast into high CHA roles.

If you're looking for STR builds, Duergars are really the cream of the crop.

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:24 pm

I am cur
Ork wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:51 am

They have a lot of cool abilities and indisputably powerful but I wouldn't play them as anything other than BG. Bard/BG is a great combo and I highly recommend it.

I would not, however, play them as a wizard, cleric, ranger, monk, barbarian, etc. They're typecast into high CHA roles.

I am curious why a duergar is a better str build? orog +4 str, a duergar +2 Not to mention an orog's
10% Cold Immunity
10% Fire Immunity
5% Physical Immunity
+1 Natural Armor
Bonus Feat: Power Attack.
I am not good with builds but seem like a deurgar needs a gift just to be equal on str. Orogs to me seem great for anything that is going to be a smash someones face type.

Sartain

Post by Sartain » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:24 pm

JubJub wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:24 pm
I am cur
Ork wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:51 am

I am curious why a duergar is a better str build? orog +4 str, a duergar +2 Not to mention an orog's
10% Cold Immunity
10% Fire Immunity
5% Physical Immunity
+1 Natural Armor
Bonus Feat: Power Attack.
I am not good with builds but seem like a deurgar needs a gift just to be equal on str. Orogs to me seem great for anything that is going to be a smash someones face type.
Well they won't equal STR but they also have a CON bonus, and immunity to poison and paralysis, which is awesome and protects them from a lot of the nasty stuff often involved in being a melee build

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:59 pm

For melee purposes, let's break it down compared to base stats:

Orogs:
+4 STR
-2 DEX
+2 CHA

Duergar:
+4 STR
+2 CON

Orogs get power attack for free, but power attack really is only useful for acquiring divine might/shield. Cleave line of feats aren't as attractive. Orog receive +1 AC (quality). Orogs receive 5% physical immunity & some 10% elemental immunity.

Duergar receive immunity to paralysis and poison. +2 vs. saves.

Because of Orog's loss of -2 DEX, they lose some points in acquiring WM stats (at least 13 DEX & 13 INT). That equates to -1 STR point. Let's look at starting stats for WM for either class respectively.

Orog:
18 STR (20)
15 DEX (13)
14 CON
8 WIS (6)
12 INT (14)
6 CHA (10)

Duergar:
17 STR (21)
13 DEX
16 CON
8 WIS
14 INT
6 CHA (4)

That loss of a STR point isn't significant in the grand scheme of things, but I hope you can recognize how Duergar edge slightly more powerful over their Orog counterpart. Especially when considering that there are 7 attribute points that you can invest in your character from 1-30. Duergars end up having 28 STR (30 w/ Great Strength II) and Orogs get 27 (28 w/ Great Strength I).

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:18 pm

I love the break down you did and see duergar do have an advantage. I was more just taking issue with the cream of the crop and orogs weren't meant for anything else statements.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:31 pm

JubJub wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:18 pm
I love the break down you did and see duergar do have an advantage. I was more just taking issue with the cream of the crop and orogs weren't meant for anything else statements.
Orog will have a very challenging time doing anything that isn't CHA based. They will not be the best wizards, sorcerers, rangers, barbarians or WMs, and they make terrible clerics, druids, monks or rogues. However, they ARE the best class for blackguards without question. The issue is simply that the Orog population will generally be type-cast into these roles, and the variety of class selection is just not as accessible to them as other races primarily due to their inability to select gifts.

Oshido

Post by Oshido » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:03 pm

I have never played a bard and rarely see them. One thing I wonder about is, what happens when multiple bards in the same party use sing/curse song?

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:22 pm

Oshido wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:03 pm
I have never played a bard and rarely see them. One thing I wonder about is, what happens when multiple bards in the same party use sing/curse song?
Highest overrides last I tested it. I.E You could curse song with the weakest and work your way up, and keep 'refreshing' the dmg, as long as the next song is the 'next' level of bard song.
It's a Dwarf, no it's a Dragon, no it's a Halfling! I think.