Orog Build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Finnigan

Orog Build

Post by Finnigan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:08 am

What would be a good Orog build for a lot of dps, decent tankability/soloability.

Barbarian/fighter? Something Else? Would someone be able to help show me? I'm still not very familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of nwn/arelith.

I like the idea of using a greatsword. I like big damage. I like being able to not die if i go exploring somewhere I haven't been. I like really high strength.

Is there no way to start with 20 strength, for a build ,that is not completely gimped in other ways (i need heal, and discipline, and would like to pick up other skills probably down the road, so i think 12-14 int is a must??) Cleave, and Great Cleave are super useful I find, especially with a big sword.

I was looking at this: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=21960&p=175466&hil ... on#p175466
and this: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/nwnecbg ... 15484.html

but, that barbarian really doesn't take advantage of the innate strength bonus.

Could anyone recommend something?

Beard Master Flex

Re: Orog Build

Post by Beard Master Flex » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:20 am

Could check out Blackguards!

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:11 am

Orog fiendlock. Use the orog bastard sword, dwarven rune wall, and masterly elven.

30% immunity to slashing, 25% immunity to piercing and bludgeon. EDR III.

A slashing attack of 30 will do 12 damage to you, 13 if bludgeon or piercing. Superior carrying capacity with +4 STR.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:03 pm

I like the idea of using a greatsword. I like big damage. I like being able to not die if i go exploring somewhere I haven't been.
These are mutually exclusive, typically. Either you have the greatsword and suffer from lack of AC, or you have AC and do less damage.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:31 pm

Ork wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:03 pm
I like the idea of using a greatsword. I like big damage. I like being able to not die if i go exploring somewhere I haven't been.
These are mutually exclusive, typically. Either you have the greatsword and suffer from lack of AC, or you have AC and do less damage.
Bastard Sword sounds like the proper inbetween of "big damage" and "not being able to die if I go exploring somewhere." It allows you to -twohand when you want to, and then switch to sword + board when you need the AC.

If you did an Anti-Brycer (23 Fighter/4 Blackguard/3 Rogue) as an Orog you'd get a +5 weapon using the Orog bastard sword with Fighter bonuses, as well as being able to slap on 1.5x divine damage when you -twohand it. To be honest I think this is definitely one of the better builds to take advantage of Orog's innate racial bonuses/weapons/armors.

Other viable builds are:
Ye Olde 20 Fighter/7 Weaponmaster/3 Rogue
Blackguard 16/Fighter 11/Rogue 3 (which relies more on the BG summon than the 23/4/3 I recommend above)
16 Palemaster/10 Blackguard/4 Bard as a tankier, less-damage inducing build that can pull fairly ridiculous AC/saves/survivability at the cost of offensive power, but if you're set on Greatsword and want the "survivability" part more than the "damage" part, this is your build. It's one of the few that can effectively use a greatsword without dying horrible deaths due to low AC. Pulling numbers from my posterior I want to say it gets close to ~56 to 60 AC without Divine Shield (which would be +11) or Expertise/Imp. Expertise (which would be another +5/+10). Also gets Epic Mummy Dust and Epic Dragon Knight.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable