Show us what you got!

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Zalius

Show us what you got!

Post by Zalius » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:34 pm

Okay! here goes!

Lets see the biggest DAMAGE number possible! Melee/Ranged attack.

Rules

You can only have buffs you casted yourself. (Wands and scrolls are accaptable if you have the UDM/Class for it)
All ECLs are open (Maximum +5).
Only Arelith rules (Feat changes, Spell changes etc.)
No damage spells (Hell ball etc.) (Imbuing your weapon is okay)
The target does not take any sort of extra damage.
The taget Counts as your best favorite enemy.
The target can get hit by Any smite ability.
The target is living.
All dice are Max rolled

LET THE GAMES BEGIN
Last edited by Zalius on Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Show us what you got!

Post by Shadowy Reality » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:41 pm

The highest damage is likely an Half-orc Aasimar Paladin with Great Smite feats and wielding a scythe.

The only way to improve upon that is squeezing WM 5 in there for the x5 multiplier, which may be doable using CoT for pre-reqs. I would not build this though, it is terrible for so many different reasons.

Edit: I went ahead and played with it a bit.

Half-Orc seems bad because you cant get WM as easily that way.
With a Human Aasimar with Gift of Cha and Cha Aasimar bloodline you can get 25 Charisma at level 20.
So you do 15 Paladin, 5 WM pre-epic
And then 10 CoT taking Great Smite up to IX using level ups and CoT bonus feats
I do not think you can get Divine Might as well and it is not worth losing it over a Great Smite if we are going for top damage.

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:57 pm

Are we all assuming maximum roll on the dices here? Or average damage? Such as 2d6 sneak attack would be 12 max, or 7 average. And would SA always be applied to every single attack, or just the first flurry?

CptJonas

Post by CptJonas » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:18 pm

Max damage is probably from 23/7 SS/WM build on scythe (its nearly imposible to get it to max lvl and play it..but still posible)

Zalius

Post by Zalius » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:09 am

I was thinking Max Roll and with only one attack :)

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:17 am

Paladin w/ Great Smite VIII will just about beat everyone in this competition. Assuming full CHA investment to 26, a Paladin L17/Rogue 3/CoT10 will do on a critical hit with Scythe:

8d4 Scythe
60 STR (4x(10 + 1/2 STR))
16 Positive (+4 Essence)
56 Divine (14x4 Divine Might)
864 Smite ((27x8)x4)
4d6 Negative (1d6 Neg. Essence)
20 Enchantment (+5 from Holy Avenger)
4d6 vs. Evil (Holy Avenger)
20 Magic Damage (Divine Favor)
4 Damage (Aid)
4 Damage (Prayer)
4 Damage (Bless)

Maximum damage of 1132

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:28 am

Skip the rogue, go 10 CoT for more Great Smite presuming we're pure CoT in epic to maximize how many Great Smite we can take. . Aid doesn't add damage, just AB. Bless doesn't add damage, just AB. We need to probably be an Aasimar with CHA gift to boot to make sure we can get 25 charisma by level 20, and not need to waste any time. This alone will change your damage calculations by quite a bit, since we'll likely be ending at 26 charisma, changing our STR and CHA damage numbers.

If we're WM memeing, 7 paladin 5 WM 18 CoT.

If you're talking about *sustained* damage, then the STR monk/PDK/assassin with dual kamas, if allowed to do nothing but sneak attack its enemy presuming best case situation, is I'm relatively sure the best sustained damage in the game, with Great Smite Scythe being the highest single damage hit.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:37 am

I have a theoretical idea which can pass beyond the damage mark which Ork has presented....

Its a PARRYING scythe Paladin with Great Smite... its extremely situational but doable.

So everything what Ork has written but with a lot of ranks in Parry and doing a Great Smite during a Parry riposte attack which would add You additional hmm.. 20 or 100 damage depending if the parry bonus damage is multiplied by crit.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:42 pm

TimeAdept wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:28 am
Skip the rogue, go 10 CoT for more Great Smite presuming we're pure CoT in epic to maximize how many Great Smite we can take. . Aid doesn't add damage, just AB. Bless doesn't add damage, just AB. We need to probably be an Aasimar with CHA gift to boot to make sure we can get 25 charisma by level 20, and not need to waste any time. This alone will change your damage calculations by quite a bit, since we'll likely be ending at 26 charisma, changing our STR and CHA damage numbers.

If you're talking about *sustained* damage, then the STR monk/PDK/assassin with dual kamas, if allowed to do nothing but sneak attack its enemy presuming best case situation, is I'm relatively sure the best sustained damage in the game, with Great Smite Scythe being the highest single damage hit.
This does not work, CoT pre-epic has bonus feats every 2 levels, but every 4 in epic levels, so you need to take the first CoT level at 20 to maximize Great Smiting.

Also, the Paladin15/WM5/CoT10 is superior in terms of max damage to Ork's build. With Great Smiting IX that is 250 raw physical damage per Smite, while x5 is 1250, an already superior number to Ork's total maximum damage. Ork's build, is however, actually sort of viable in Arelith.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:45 pm

It's most definitely a paladin weaponmaster cot wielding a scythe.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:17 am

Shadowy Reality wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:42 pm
TimeAdept wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:28 am

This does not work, CoT pre-epic has bonus feats every 2 levels, but every 4 in epic levels, so you need to take the first CoT level at 20 to maximize Great Smiting.

Also, the Paladin15/WM5/CoT10 is superior in terms of max damage to Ork's build. With Great Smiting IX that is 250 raw physical damage per Smite, while x5 is 1250, an already superior number to Ork's total maximum damage. Ork's build, is however, actually sort of viable in Arelith.
You would do 20 paladin 10 CoT with all 10 CoT in epic, so you get 5 extra bonus feats in epic. It's still every even level.

But yes, WM is going to add more damage. I chose more CoT b/c I thought the more damage from divine wrath at 15 outweighs the slight scaling from divine favor. You end up damage positive over paladin by having more CoT levels, but you're right, it lowers how many Great Smite you can take, so it ends up more net damage overall to take less CoT.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:05 am

Here's what's achievable on Arelith with the 15 Paladin/5WM/10 CoT

Great Smite VIII is the max for the WM build. Why? You need 25 CHA to take GS and you also need 13 in dex and 13 in int. You sacrifice everything to get a starting stat of 19 CHA. You do not get divine might. There's just not enough feats. In spite of all that. Here's the damage I was able to smack at a blackguard with.

You get ONE shot with this ability, and you better pray it is a 18, 19 or 20. Otherwise you've really got nothing else to keep you alive.

Should you play this build? No. You will die. A lot. Not just PvP, especially in PvM. You're a literal one-trick pony with nothing else to shore up defenses or offenses.

CptJonas

Post by CptJonas » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:09 am

Ork wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:05 am
Here's what's achievable on Arelith with the 15 Paladin/5WM/10 CoT

Great Smite VIII is the max for the WM build. Why? You need 25 CHA to take GS and you also need 13 in dex and 13 in int. You sacrifice everything to get a starting stat of 19 CHA. You do not get divine might. There's just not enough feats. In spite of all that. Here's the damage I was able to smack at a blackguard with.

You get ONE shot with this ability, and you better pray it is a 18, 19 or 20. Otherwise you've really got nothing else to keep you alive.

Should you play this build? No. You will die. A lot. Not just PvP, especially in PvM. You're a literal one-trick pony with nothing else to shore up defenses or offenses.
But if you are sadist you will have big smile when that crit is done, and you see that gory mess what was left on your felow opponent after jsut one of your hits...And small bigNumberOrgasm on top of it :D

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:35 am

I theory-crafted a Paladin/CoT/Harper Paragon build ages ago. It doesn't get UMD, but it gets the essential immunities from divine spell access (deathward, freedom) and jacked out saves to boot. It took extra smiting, for three chances, used a longsword (one-hand, tower shield, for a 17-20 x2 modifier...and holy avenger). If you take Paragon at epic levels, your favored enemy feat can be replaced with Great Charisma, twice.

Comes with divine might and divine shield built in, without the requirement for power attack - so while you have to invest alertness and iron will, technically you get those in exchange - and also get to ignore the power attack feat requirement for them. While you won't get weaponmaster bonuses, you are considerably more survivable, and getting somewhere around (I'll look for the file for an exact number) Great Smite 7 iirc while still getting other "essential" feats and 3 chances at an extra 450+ bonus damage on a 17-20 vs. an evil target still means you're not going to shine at much else- but you'll be able to be a useful semi-tank and have a full BAB to go with it, at least.

Also, smacking a boss monster in the face for that kind of damage to end the fight is absolutely a moment of awesome, no matter how useless you might have been for the entirety of the dungeon before. As dangerous as some bosses are, I argue anyone who smacks anything at the end of a dungeon for 1000+ damage did their job perfectly. If they took damage before they got there, their companions are the ones who messed up. :lol:
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:58 am

You have to be old to remember where this all started...
http://web.archive.org/web/201002101342 ... adept.html
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:54 am

Assuming you're able to 5% a Scythe with 4d4 extra damage, then rune it for 5d4 base, and that you're fighting an Outsider with no elemental/magical resistances to damage...

The highest number I could get (with max rolls on everything) on that 15/5/10 was 1545. Here's my math breakdown:

8 (Physical - Scythe 2d4 base damage)
5 (Physical - Enhancement Bonus physical from Holy Sword)
12 (Divine - 2d6 to Outsider from CL 13+ Bless Weapon)
4 (Sonic - CL 15 Deafening Clang)
4 (Acid - 1d4 Enchant)
4 (Negative - 1d4 Enchant)
4 (Positive - 1d4 Enchant)
4 (Electric - 1d4 Enchant)
4 (Cold - 1d4 Enchant)
5 (Typeless "Divine" - Divine Wrath)
5 (Magical - Divine Favor)
12 (STR 1.5x Mod)
8 (Fire - 1d8 Temp Essence)
225 (Physical - Smite + Great Smite 8)
5 (Physical - Power Attack)
-----
309 on a hit
x5
-----
1545 on a COMPLETE max roll.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Ecthelion

Post by Ecthelion » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:12 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:35 am
I theory-crafted a Paladin/CoT/Harper Paragon build ages ago. It doesn't get UMD, but it gets the essential immunities from divine spell access (deathward, freedom) and jacked out saves to boot. It took extra smiting, for three chances, used a longsword (one-hand, tower shield, for a 17-20 x2 modifier...and holy avenger). If you take Paragon at epic levels, your favored enemy feat can be replaced with Great Charisma, twice.

Comes with divine might and divine shield built in, without the requirement for power attack - so while you have to invest alertness and iron will, technically you get those in exchange - and also get to ignore the power attack feat requirement for them. While you won't get weaponmaster bonuses, you are considerably more survivable, and getting somewhere around (I'll look for the file for an exact number) Great Smite 7 iirc while still getting other "essential" feats and 3 chances at an extra 450+ bonus damage on a 17-20 vs. an evil target still means you're not going to shine at much else- but you'll be able to be a useful semi-tank and have a full BAB to go with it, at least.

Also, smacking a boss monster in the face for that kind of damage to end the fight is absolutely a moment of awesome, no matter how useless you might have been for the entirety of the dungeon before. As dangerous as some bosses are, I argue anyone who smacks anything at the end of a dungeon for 1000+ damage did their job perfectly. If they took damage before they got there, their companions are the ones who messed up. :lol:
"I do not downgrade myself to slain some -basic- beings. I only am here for the dragon. Ah, there he is."
*Triple 1200 crit*