Rogues: Weapons and Builds

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Jagel

Re: Rogues: Weapons and Builds

Post by Jagel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:37 pm

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:32 pm

Oooh okay. So if I am correct, then if I have all those feats (which the build does have) I will have -4/-4 penalties instead of the -2/-2 normally associated with these builds due to kobold being small and the only light weapons counting for a small race is kukri, and dagger. Kukri is one as well due to Arelith changes. Hrm.. the -4/-4 does make me worry a bit. I want to make the build my own but I'd at least like it to be viable for PvM/PvP.

Perhaps I just go double dagger, if I go kobold that is.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:57 am

You will have -2/-2 if you have a handaxe in one hand and a dagger in the other. Most of the time after the initial flurry you will probably be wielding weapon/shield for more AC so if you really like those axes, then go for it. I had a ranger with dual scimitars at one point and I didn’t find it crippling. You do you.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:14 am

I think I'll do that then! I like the idea of handaxe/dagger as i have said. Plus, you are right about me pulling out the shield after the first flurry. Thanks Jagel!

I do have a question about the little armor thing that rogues get. Can anyone clarify it a bit for me? The thing about how leftover dodge AC is actually used?

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:36 am

What’s the question?

The change to how AC is calculated is to give rogues an opportunity to use other light armors than the fine silk shirt.

Most rogues will end up with at least mid 30s dex. For instance with 32 dex you get 11 points of dex AC. Most armors have a limit to the amount of dex AC they allow. Studded leather only allows 4 dex AC for instance, so our rogue with 32 dex would loose 7 points of dex AC when wearing studded leather which means it would have to be at least a studded leather +4 to be worth wearing over an unenchanted vesture.

With 21+ rogue lvls the character in question would recieve all the lost dex AC as dodge AC.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:52 am

I think that answered it, Jagel. I was unsure how the Rogue AC was affected with that change. So this will allow me to wear things other then shirts basically lol.

This allows them to have more AC with a larger variety of armor, correct? In that same instance of +4 studded , not only would they get the 7 points of dodge AC back but also the +4 from the enchantment itself?

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:56 am

Yup.

Non rogue with 32 dex would have 21 AC wearing that studded leather +4.

A lvl 21+ rogue with 32 dex wearing the same armor would have 28 AC.