Spellsword Build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

BoltNRun

Re: Spellsword Build

Post by BoltNRun » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:50 am

Oh that's good then! I don't feel so bad about dropping enchantment then.

If I use the above build I will only have tier 1 dweomercrafting correct? Unless I take the craft wand feat, then I'll be at tier 2 correct?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:00 pm

Far as I remember, spellswords still get scribe scroll for free, meaning you'd get T2, and T3 with craft wand.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:23 am

Okay this may be a stupid question but I am a loss of how it's done:

How do I imbue my weapon? Do I have to be a certain level? Do i select something? I am unsure of what to do lol

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:20 pm

My guess is you cast a damage spell on your equipped weapon(s)

Jeloran

Post by Jeloran » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:19 pm

Jagel wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:20 pm
My guess is you cast a damage spell on your equipped weapon(s)
This link explains in detail how the SS works.

http://wiki.arelith.com/Spellsword

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:57 pm

I may be blind but I read through that and all it says us damage spells will imbue it? I've tried self casting them or selecting them then trying to Target my weapon but no luck. I feel like I am missing something

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:46 pm

Have you tried using the radial menu on the weapon to select a spell to var on the weapon? Just brainstorming here.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:26 pm

I'll try that when I get home. I hope me asking here is not breaking any rules. Like I'm not sure if this is so etching that is taught in game by an NPC at a certain level. I just mechanically can't figure it out lol

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:43 am

BoltNRun wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:26 pm
I'll try that when I get home. I hope me asking here is not breaking any rules. Like I'm not sure if this is so etching that is taught in game by an NPC at a certain level. I just mechanically can't figure it out lol
Definitely fine to ask here.

Try equipping your weapon first then casting the damage spell onto it.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:16 am

I figured it out. Thanks jagel!

I had another question about a build like this. Would a halberd be a bad option for this build? i know I'd lose out on the AC but i'd still be hitting some high AC numbers, right?

Or perhaps a spear? I know that in Arelith it is considered a 1 hand weapon so it's not too much different then the longsword. My question is mainly for the halberd though.

DeflectiveQuestion

Post by DeflectiveQuestion » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:42 am

Mechanics-wise, two-handed is almost always inferior to sword/board. However, flavor-wise it's friggin' awesome. I would LOVE to see a halberd-wielding spellblade, surging forth, slinging spells and cutting a six-foot swathe of bloody destruction through lines of enemies.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:31 am

DeflectiveQuestion wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:42 am
Mechanics-wise, two-handed is almost always inferior to sword/board. However, flavor-wise it's friggin' awesome. I would LOVE to see a halberd-wielding spellblade, surging forth, slinging spells and cutting a six-foot swathe of bloody destruction through lines of enemies.
You and me have the same vision! Thankfully my spellsword hasn't taken a weapon focus yet. I just think it'd be so cool to have this cool-Snuggybear polearm that doubles as a focus and in my head I love it.

I know that mechanics-wise the sword'n'board is going to be superiors because of added defense but in this case, since I have so many ways to increase my AC, will the only AC difference be 6, because of the filled offhand? Im thinking that I am right on this, but just to be safe I want to make sure I am not missing some calculation.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:54 am

Sounds about right. 6 is pretty substantial though but I too usually prefer flavor to optimizing every aspect of a build.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 am

If it's just 6 then I can deal with that. I don't intend to be the most optimized build nor the strongest, but i do want to be my own. I'm going to stick with halberd/glaive!

In the build that Sea Shanties posted for me, it shows SF: Transmutation. Should i take that over abjuration? Also I keep seeing this stuff about Arcane defense? I've no idea what that is honestly.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:44 pm

BoltNRun wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 am
If it's just 6 then I can deal with that. I don't intend to be the most optimized build nor the strongest, but i do want to be my own. I'm going to stick with halberd/glaive!

In the build that Sea Shanties posted for me, it shows SF: Transmutation. Should i take that over abjuration? Also I keep seeing this stuff about Arcane defense? I've no idea what that is honestly.
I personally wouldn't go that build in that feat order.

Template from Bhaaldad.

STR: 16->18 with gift (24)
DEX: 8
CON: 16
WIS: 8
INT: 16->18 with gift (19)
CHA: 8

01: Wizard(1): Expertise
02: Wizard(2)
03: Wizard(3): SF: Transmutation
04: Wizard(4): INT+1, (INT=19)
05: Wizard(5): GSF: Transmutation
- Use the unlimited burning hands you get from this focus, it's in your radial wheel; kite and spam it
06: Wizard(6): Weapon Focus: Halberd
07: Wizard(7)
08: Wizard(8): STR+1, (STR=19)
09: Wizard(9): Blind Fight
10: Wizard(10): Extend Spell
11: Wizard(11)
12: Wizard(12): STR+1, SF: Abjuration
13: Wizard(13)
14: Wizard(14)
15: Wizard(15): Maximize Spell, Arcane Def: Abjuration
16: Wizard(16): STR+1, (STR=21)
17: Wizard(17)
18: Wizard(18): Improved Critical: Halberd
19: Wizard(19)
20: Wizard(20): STR+1, Greater Spell Focus: Abj (STR=22)
21: Wizard(21): Epic Weapon Focus
22: Wizard(22)
23: Wizard(23): Epic Spell: Epic Mage Armor
24: Wizard(24): STR+1, Armor Skin, (STR=23)
25: Wizard(25)
26: Wizard(26): Improved Expertise
27: Wizard(27): Epic Prowess or Epic Fort
28: Bard(1): STR +1, (STR=24)
29: Bard(2)
30: Bard(3) Epic Skill Focus: Discipline

SF: Transmutation and Abjuration and their greater SF counterparts are a must.
GSF: Transmutation gives you unlimited burning hands for early easy leveling, but also +1 on zoo spells (bull's, cat's, endurance, etc.).
GSF: Abjuration gives you immunity to all Isaac's missile spells, so that way you won't get nuked by the un-saveable IGMS (which does max damage of 120 dmg to someone on Arelith). That's 240 free dmg w/ haste in a round.

I took out ESF: Transmutation because it's not a must. It just adds an extra +1 to zoo spells on top of the +1 from GSF. It's a quality of life feat at best given spellswords can't use the -teleport create spell that comes with it.

Absolutetly go armor skin over that random +1 STR. Idk what that +1 STR choice was for, as you'd end up with an odd number which does nothing but allow you to carry more weight. I would also take it earlier, as at 21 you'll get to imbue your weapon with 2 different imbues, which I suggest are fire and negative. Fire lowers the hit enemy's AC, so taking epic prowess a little later is fine.

As far as your halberd choice goes, as people said you're losing 6 AC. Pretty significant. Drops you down to 45 w/o improved expertise, which is the slightly below average AB for most melee builds. However, you do get +2 AB by using a large weapon which brings you to 42. Not great, but it's at least something. If you can, I suggest taking taunt between 20~30.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:07 pm

Wow! Thank you for all the info! Although, I have recently been following that build up to Level 6; I reached it last night. I'm assuming I can still do the build you linked though? What would I need to change? Again, I am already level 6 on the build Sea Shanties posted.

Also, I am okay with my AC being a bit low. I wanted to go with a weapon I enjoy. But in the last paragraph, wouldn't my AB be higher then someone going one handed?

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:17 pm

The build I posted was for an elf using a moon blade as you originally asked, and I clearly said it was loose and just to give you an idea. +1 str and toughness were in case you had to compensate for landing on an odd number due to starting with low constitution

Stop referring to it if you're going to go a different way.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:04 pm

Sea Shanties wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:17 pm
The build I posted was for an elf using a moon blade as you originally asked, and I clearly said it was loose and just to give you an idea. +1 str and toughness were in case you had to compensate for landing on an odd number due to starting with low constitution

Stop referring to it if you're going to go a different way.
I apologize if my post came off as uncaring or disrespectful to you, Sea Shanties. I did not want to demean nor belittle your help and kindness with the build you linked. I've been trying to do some research on my own so that I can at least contribute in the builds when I ask for them lol. And yes, my build idea did change over the past week; with me wanting to go a different weapon and such. There's just a lot to this server that I am still learning about and trying to adjust to. I had no idea that we get an infinite burning hands if you do SF: Transmutation, for instance.

Also thank you for helping all the same man. If I am correct, my stats I started off with were:

Sun Elf

STR - 16 (18 with gift)
DEX - 10
CON - 14
WIS - 8
INT - 16 (18 with gift)
CHA - 10

So I did tweak them slightly even in the beginning. I wanted a bit more balance in the stats for RP purposes as well.

Also, if I interpreted the mood wrong in your post I'm sorry about that. I don't want to step on too many feet.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:20 pm

If you went that statline, you should have 20 INT with the Sun Elf stat mods (+2 INT, -2 CON). Do NOT go anymore INT. Instead, pump it into STR every four levels. Dump Epic Prowess and take Great Strength. Same concept, but +1 STR = more carry weight and damage. That should leave you with 26 STR at the end before buffs or items.

The only downside is you are seriously unhealthy when it comes to HP for a melee low-AC build early on till you get items. It's hard to fix aside from going sword and "board" (aka your bonus spellsword off hand shield AC). Otherwise, my build should keep you relatively steady. You have the option to go Armor Skin level 21 instead of EWF. That gives you more survivability through leveling.

I am confused how you went 10 CHA also along with those other stats.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:26 pm

Oh no, what I meant to say is even after the subrace adjustments that was my final score, then add the gifts. I have 19 INT.

What would you suggest i take as my next feat? Like I said, I am already Lvl 6 and it has done me well. I like having extend spell early, as well as expertise. But having spell focus would be nice as well. At my current point, what should be my next feat to take?

I know my HP is low but I'm okay with that. Early levelling is always hard but I'm usually with a party, or I try to be. Although, at 21 I think I will stick with EWF perhaps, as it currently fits my theme.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:35 pm

BoltNRun wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:26 pm
Oh no, what I meant to say is even after the subrace adjustments that was my final score, then add the gifts. I have 19 INT.

What would you suggest i take as my next feat? Like I said, I am already Lvl 6 and it has done me well. I like having extend spell early, as well as expertise. But having spell focus would be nice as well. At my current point, what should be my next feat to take?

I know my HP is low but I'm okay with that. Early levelling is always hard but I'm usually with a party, or I try to be. Although, at 21 I think I will stick with EWF perhaps, as it currently fits my theme.
I assume you have WF: Halberd, also? What's the other feat? Assuming it's improved expertise, things might be a tad difficult to rearrange comfortably.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:39 pm

Yeah it is. I have expertise, improved expertise, wf: halberd, and extend spell.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:51 pm

Followed this from here on out.

08: Wizard(8): STR+1, (STR=19)
09: Wizard(9): Blind Fight
10: Wizard(10): SF: Abjuration
11: Wizard(11)
12: Wizard(12): STR+1, Arcane Def: Abjuration (STR=20)
13: Wizard(13)
14: Wizard(14)
15: Wizard(15): Maximize Spell, SF: Transmutation
16: Wizard(16): STR+1, (STR=21)
17: Wizard(17)
18: Wizard(18): Improved Critical: Halberd
19: Wizard(19)
20: Wizard(20): STR+1, GSF: Transmutation (STR=22)
21: Wizard(21): Epic Weapon Focus
22: Wizard(22)
23: Wizard(23): Epic Spell: Epic Mage Armor
24: Wizard(24): STR+1, Armor Skin, (STR=23)
25: Wizard(25)
26: Wizard(26): GSF: Abjuration
27: Wizard(27): Epic Prowess
28: Bard(1): STR +1, (STR=24)
29: Bard(2)
30: Bard(3) Epic Skill Focus: Discipline

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:56 pm

Thanks for the helpful advice liver! A big thank you from me to everyone that has answered my constant questions lol.

I do have a question about what i asked earlier, a few posts up. Wouldn't my AB be better then a sword'n'board? I know my AC will be 6 less but shouldn't my AB be better at least?

also thank you for the step by step guide!

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:00 am

BoltNRun wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:56 pm
Thanks for the helpful advice liver! A big thank you from me to everyone that has answered my constant questions lol.

I do have a question about what i asked earlier, a few posts up. Wouldn't my AB be better then a sword'n'board? I know my AC will be 6 less but shouldn't my AB be better at least?

also thank you for the step by step guide!
Yes, by +2. Arelith offers anyone using large weapons a +2 bonus. But... that's a 3:1 exchange ratio for AC:AB. That's objectively not a good sacrifice. Pretty much you're going to get hit 30% more often in exchange to hit 10% more often on a 3 APR build.

I personally would have gone a spear because it's considered a medium weapon while the large weapon aesthetic is still there, or a trident because it does more damage (2d6x3 vs 1d10x3) and still keeps the +2AB. Plus there's a sick trident called the Cyclone and a decent spear called Fang of the Wild, but no special halberd weapons.