Spellsword Build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

liver and bones

Re: Spellsword Build

Post by liver and bones » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:27 pm

Bronze, though you can only use one weapon buff. Stick with GMW. However, blackstaff is a possible buff, though I've never had success with applying it without erasing everything else.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:12 pm

Thanks liver but can I ask something though? Just so that I can know the reason why.

Why not keen though? It adds +4, a greater critical range and 2d8 massive crits? Does GMW offer something else other then the extra +1 AB?

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:48 pm

GMW is an enhancement bonus rather than flat AB. AB = attack bonus, so it will only help your roll. Enhancement = AB + damage.

As you know, that +1 AB is huge for spellswords. Even more important is that 2d8 massive crits averages to 9 damage if you land a crit. The +5 damage from GMW is every time you land a hit, and if you do crit with GMW that 5 turns to 10, anyways.

I would only at best recommend keen edge on a 19-20 weapon.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:12 pm

Ahhhh okay that makes more sense. GMW gives a +5 to damage and attack. Keen only gives to attack, not damage.

So with my limited choices of halberds, a blank bronze one is my best bet? What other options are possible? I just want to know all avenues. I am probably just going to stick with bronze, but knowing other options are good too.

Like for instance, what if I had a masterly damask and I made it runic, and then added like 1d? Elemental damage? Though I think the most elemental you can enchantment is 1d4.

Do permanent essences stack on a magic weapon like masterly damask? And do they conflict with restricted weapon buffs

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:26 pm

BoltNRun wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:12 pm
Ahhhh okay that makes more sense. GMW gives a +5 to damage and attack. Keen only gives to attack, not damage.

So with my limited choices of halberds, a blank bronze one is my best bet? What other options are possible? I just want to know all avenues. I am probably just going to stick with bronze, but knowing other options are good too.

Like for instance, what if I had a masterly damask and I made it runic, and then added like 1d? Elemental damage? Though I think the most elemental you can enchantment is 1d4.

Do permanent essences stack on a magic weapon like masterly damask? And do they conflict with restricted weapon buffs
If you do want to go something else, then yeah masterly damask would be your best bet. You would permanent essence -> enchant -> rune for maximum damage. All a different type of elemental damage. I suggest divine or positive for the permanent essence.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:45 pm

I thought enchant meant it had to be runed as well, or suffer the 5% chance roll. Or do you mean like my imbue lol

I apologize for my confusion

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:03 pm

BoltNRun wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:45 pm
I thought enchant meant it had to be runed as well, or suffer the 5% chance roll. Or do you mean like my imbue lol

I apologize for my confusion
You can enchant things through the basin. You don't need the rune to do it; the rune just give the enchantment a 100% chance to succeed.

You will burn a few halberds enchanting, though. I won't lie. However, that's the best way to achieve maximum damage.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:12 pm

I thought that was what you mean. Basically mass create the halberd I want, and go through them hoping at least one of them gets the 5% roll success.

Does the essence have to be applied before the non rune enchant? I feel it'd save me money if I waited to do the essence after the enchant, unless there is a specific order it has to go.

I already know this will be costly, but it's something to strive for too!

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:29 pm

It has to be in a very specific order. Another option that isn't too costly and frankly easier is:

Rune (don't enchant yet) -> Essence -> Enchant using the rune.

You'll be left with 1d4 damage and 4 damage. That's pretty reasonable without having to pull out your hair. Whatever you do, just remember an essence removes ALL permanent elemental damage on a weapon.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:52 pm

Ahhhh okay so that's why it has to be first. It clears all other elemental damage. So you put it on first, then do either option.

How exactly do you rune something though? The wiki said that there is different tiers and language runes detailing their quality. I thought it was as simple as putting it in a basin and selecting an option lol

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:30 pm

BoltNRun wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:52 pm
How exactly do you rune something though? The wiki said that there is different tiers and language runes detailing their quality. I thought it was as simple as putting it in a basin and selecting an option lol
You're confusing adding runes and dweomercrafting. They're related, but not the same thing. Dweomercrafting is the (relatively) simple process of chucking something in the basin, selecting a property, and hoping it doesn't explode. Making an item runic, on the other hand, requires crafting material found in epic dungeons, which then has to be assembled by a skilled crafter into a rune. Using this rune on an item makes this item runic, which then means that the next property added through dweomercrafting has a 100% success rate.

It should be noted that there are many different types of runes - armor made through smithing requires different runes than armor made through tailoring, for instance, and all runes have lesser/normal/greater versions. At the end of the day, I would advise not planning on ever getting a rune, since it can take a long time and a lotta money. If you do, great! But don't build around it.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:51 pm

Ahhhh okay well that does bring many more questions lol.

Like what is the difference between the lesser and greater quality runes? Do I need specific runes for specific enchantments?

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:02 pm

Runic quality effects how many properties you can have on an item and still be able to apply the rune. For instance, a lesser rune might be applied to a bronze weapon with keen/unisaves quite happily, but won't work if you try to slap it on masterly damask. In general, the higher the quality of the starting item, the rarer the rune you'll need to improve it.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:03 am

Ah okay I think I am getting it now. Better quality weapons need better runes.

Jeloran

Post by Jeloran » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:18 pm

Where do the recent changes put us?

AskRyze

Post by AskRyze » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:42 pm

I CAST MAXIMIZE MAGIC: THREAD NECROMANCY

In truth though, Spellsword is right up there with Paladin and Battlecleric competing for 'best class'. I could see a two-weapon dexer build being very effective, as well as a SS/Fighter/WM Scimmy STR build being more than servicable. In either case it's brutally effective to the point of near absurdity.
Flower Power wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:53 pm

You say this, but being MILDLY MEAN to people is treated like a war crime on Arelith.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:47 pm

Yea I am kind of glad my thread I'd back. After the recent changes, we lose 4 AC but gain a whopping 4 AB when under EMA.

Which makes me ask; since I am a two handed spellsword, what will my AC look like? Especially with the changes. I already knew I was going to be short some AC due to being two handed

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:12 pm

This means you are now short 10AC.

That definitely is a lot. But we do get more HP as SS now so that is a boon. And the true strike effect also sounds nice.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:24 pm

Ozzy.nl wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:12 pm
This means you are now short 10AC.

That definitely is a lot. But we do get more HP as SS now so that is a boon. And the true strike effect also sounds nice.
Only 9 AC actually. If I was full 30 wizard it'd be 10 lol but I get your point.

I had recently levelled and I removed some exp to try and get the hit points thing to work but when I levelled it still said my hit die was a d6 still. In fact when I delevelled and then relevelled I lost some hit points i think. I have natural CON of 14.

Also can someone tell me what my fully buffed, without IE, AC might be?

I_Am_King_Midas
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by I_Am_King_Midas » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:08 pm

Base 10 + dex mod + 4 dodge + 4 natural + 4 armor + 4 deflection + 6 tumble + whatever type of armor you’re wearing + whatever type of shield you have + any additional dodge ac + 2 armor skin if you have the feat +4 If hasted

Let me know if I missed something and I’ll add it in for people to reference.
Last character: Vahrix Amolyn

AskRyze

Post by AskRyze » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:49 pm

I_Am_King_Midas wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:08 pm
Base 10 + dex mod + 4 dodge + 4 natural + 4 armor + 4 deflection + 6 tumble + whatever type of armor you’re wearing + whatever type of shield you have + any additional dodge ac + 2 armor skin if you have the feat +4 If hasted

You missed -4AB from acid imbue, which is -effectively- +4 AC
Flower Power wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:53 pm

You say this, but being MILDLY MEAN to people is treated like a war crime on Arelith.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:48 am

I_Am_King_Midas wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:08 pm

You're missing +1 from boots and +1 natural armor from shadow shield. The total AC should equate to 52 for the 27/3 cookie cutter build.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:47 pm

liver and bones wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:20 pm
If you went that statline, you should have 20 INT with the Sun Elf stat mods (+2 INT, -2 CON). Do NOT go anymore INT. Instead, pump it into STR every four levels. Dump Epic Prowess and take Great Strength. Same concept, but +1 STR = more carry weight and damage. That should leave you with 26 STR at the end before buffs or items.

The only downside is you are seriously unhealthy when it comes to HP for a melee low-AC build early on till you get items. It's hard to fix aside from going sword and "board" (aka your bonus spellsword off hand shield AC). Otherwise, my build should keep you relatively steady. You have the option to go Armor Skin level 21 instead of EWF. That gives you more survivability through leveling.

I am confused how you went 10 CHA also along with those other stats.
LaB, you said to dump Epic Prowess, but in the build you provided it says to take it? You said i would end up at 26 STR if i took Great STR, and i think that is better? I am not sure how I will end up at 26 STR though?

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:57 am

BoltNRun wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:47 pm
liver and bones wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:20 pm
If you went that statline, you should have 20 INT with the Sun Elf stat mods (+2 INT, -2 CON). Do NOT go anymore INT. Instead, pump it into STR every four levels. Dump Epic Prowess and take Great Strength. Same concept, but +1 STR = more carry weight and damage. That should leave you with 26 STR at the end before buffs or items.

The only downside is you are seriously unhealthy when it comes to HP for a melee low-AC build early on till you get items. It's hard to fix aside from going sword and "board" (aka your bonus spellsword off hand shield AC). Otherwise, my build should keep you relatively steady. You have the option to go Armor Skin level 21 instead of EWF. That gives you more survivability through leveling.

I am confused how you went 10 CHA also along with those other stats.
LaB, you said to dump Epic Prowess, but in the build you provided it says to take it? You said i would end up at 26 STR if i took Great STR, and i think that is better? I am not sure how I will end up at 26 STR though?
I believe the build I gave you started you at 16 STR + 2 from the gift, so 18. The reason you take Great STR over Epic Prowess is because you want to take STR on every 4th level (so 7 total). 18 + 7 = 25, so Great STR adds on more. That gives you another +1 AB and damage and carry weight, while Epic Prowess just gives +1 AB.

Ignore the build I initially suggested, if these were your stats:

STR - 16 (18 with gift) -> +7 at 4th's and +1 Great STR = 26 total
DEX - 10 -> 8 after Sun Elf racial
CON - 14 -> 12 after Sun Elf racial
WIS - 8
INT - 16 (18 with gift) -> 20 after Sun Elf racial
CHA - 10

If so, go all 7 STR (levels: 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28) and swap Prowess for Great STR.

If you're still using the halberd, stick with the GMW'd bronze one. However, I do suggest you focus on 6 STR, 6 CON, and 4 DEX on gear. The rest can go to INT or the easiest-to-enchant +1 stats/+1 unisave/+2 disciple/+2 concentration or spellcraft. After some experience, I honestly feel concentration is better.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:39 am

Nah my INT was 18 if I remember correctly. So I took the +1 INT. I think if that's the case I should just take Epic Prowess, right?