Some Druid Questions

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

blksabbath74

Some Druid Questions

Post by blksabbath74 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:11 pm

1) To Totem, or not to Totem? Is it worth it? It seems like a cool thing, but the ability penalties seem brutal. I don't want to be walking around Cordor too weak to pick up a pencil. Also, I might get bored of bears.

2) Is picking up Dragon Knight at 25 still viable? There seemed to be some confusion about that here...
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6292

3) Apart from the above, what do you need to get Wisdom to in order to effectively cast in the endgame? What other stats are important.

4) What are the best Metamagic Feats? Obviously ESF Conjuration for the summons, and -yoink. I was also planning on getting ESF Transmutation for the Improved buffs and Portal utility. Extend Spell & Max Spell?

5) What does -balance do?

6) What is Monolithic Elemental Shape? How do you get it and how does it work?

7) In Totem Form (-polymorph), do you get the same bonuses listed for Totem Druid Wildshape here?
http://wiki.arelith.com/Druid#Totem_Animal

8) Anything else that I am missing and should know?

blksabbath74

Re: Some Druid Questions

Post by blksabbath74 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:25 pm

Also, if you were choosing a bird totem (for Roleplay puroses) which is better?

Brahtius

Post by Brahtius » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:27 am

blksabbath74 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:11 pm
1) To Totem, or not to Totem? Is it worth it? It seems like a cool thing, but the ability penalties seem brutal. I don't want to be walking around Cordor too weak to pick up a pencil. Also, I might get bored of bears.
Upto you. Its all flavor. You can start out with no totem and pick one later.
blksabbath74 wrote:
2) Is picking up Dragon Knight at 25 still viable? There seemed to be some confusion about that here...
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6292
What they're talking about in that thread is Dragonshape. Epic Spell Dragon Knight you can definitely you just need to meet the requirements of 21st level, the ability to cast 9th level spells, spellcraft 22
blksabbath74 wrote:
3) Apart from the above, what do you need to get Wisdom to in order to effectively cast in the endgame? What other stats are important.
You need 19 wisdom to reach 9th circle spells. The build is really upto you. If you want high spell DC on your spells you can pump wisdom. If you want to try for Epic Damage Reduction you can take CON. You may even want to take 18 INT for heaps of skill points. Its pretty flexible really.
blksabbath74 wrote:
4) What are the best Metamagic Feats? Obviously ESF Conjuration for the summons, and -yoink. I was also planning on getting ESF Transmutation for the Improved buffs and Portal utility. Extend Spell & Max Spell?
Extend spell is vital. I'd probably take Expertise and Imp Expertise over maximize or empower.
blksabbath74 wrote:
6) What is Monolithic Elemental Shape? How do you get it and how does it work?
A very strong elemental shape you can shift into. You need to be 28 level of druid which essentially means 30 levels of druid.

Balance is some RP thing I've never used. And yes polymorph has the same stats as wildshape listed. Just doesn't require any cast, its an instant shift on a 90 cooldown.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:45 am

Totems are quicker to level and it's cool to have a flock or pack of the same animals. Loss of strength and con. can be dealt with through equipment but it does suck. It's very difficult to get 21 con on a totem if you want to go the epic damage reduction route. Even if you take bear totem, the +4 con. is "soft" and doesn't count towards the requirement.

Raven is mechanically the best bird since you get 30 more skill points with +2 int and the listen bonus isn't bad either. Parrot's charisma and perform are kind of useless unless you want to use disguise. Eagle's spot is okay I guess, but again charisma is mechanically useless other than maybe a minor plus to animal empathy.