Quarterstaff Spellsword Viable?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Sylfaen

Quarterstaff Spellsword Viable?

Post by Sylfaen » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi guys,

I have only recently joined the server after having enjoyed NWN many years back, and I am thus far loving the active attention this game still receives.

My build skills however are very rusty, and I would like to know from the veterans if any sort of Quarterstaff-based Spellsword build can be viable at all, mainly for flavour and without completely gimping the character with all the dual-wielding feats needed for double-ended weapons, seeing as the staff falls under that category on Arelith? I tried looking for any such builds on here but only saw quick hints of it here and there using a Monk dip.

I would like to try and figure such builds out for myself, but the DnD framework seems like a daunting beast to me right now, where does one best learn the nuances of what to pick when and why or why not?

Thanks!

The1Kobra

Re: Quarterstaff Spellsword Viable?

Post by The1Kobra » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:03 pm

A quarterstaff spellsword is definitely doable. It can be a late bloomer but if you get everything together just right it can be quite powerful. For benefits, you truck around 9 attacks per round, and with the bonus 2d12 damage from your imbues that adds up quite quickly.

Go 21/6/3 Wizard/Fighter/Monk, and be sure to grab EWS. Since you won't be doing as much damage/hit the +6 will help a lot.

liver and bones

Re: Quarterstaff Spellsword Viable?

Post by liver and bones » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:52 pm

Strong damage, but it really is weak given the relatively recent bump to dispel CL. Also, in its original creation, it really banked on the fact every attack in each flurry would proc the imbues. So, you would go put on negative imbues and proc ridiculously healing. Avg 18 healing per attack, so you would heal 160ish HP per round.

Is it still workable? Yes, but you will be gimping yourself in PvP and in epic level PvE. Just remember to at least take fighter levels starting at 16 all the way through 20.