Totem Druid help

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Gobol

Totem Druid help

Post by Gobol » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:21 pm

Hey guys I often have to play solo since must to go afk sometimes. I want to play a totem druid preferably with 3-4 lvls of monk but need a little help. Got some questions.

1) Putting aside RP reasons is there any point to not choose bear as a totem?
2) Should I go for EDR or Dragonform? If yes what is better and how can I achieve that? (especially EDR can be hard to get since -4 totem druid con drop). For EDR i think it would be best to get a race with +2 to con, go for something like 20 con, 16 wis and 10 int then pick rat or spider as a totem, +2 to con and wis gifts will net me 18con 18wis and 12-14int.
3) Why so many builds prefer transumatation feats? I dont really know what +1 to animal spells means.

Sorry for some noob questions but I'm new here and really want to choose the right way with my build :)

Brahtius

Re: Totem Druid help

Post by Brahtius » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:10 am

Gobol wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:21 pm
1) Putting aside RP reasons is there any point to not choose bear as a totem?
Choose whatever you want. Eventually you'll rarely use the polymorph form in pve/pvp anyway. Monolithic shapes are very nice.
Gobol wrote:
2) Should I go for EDR or Dragonform? If yes what is better and how can I achieve that? (especially EDR can be hard to get since -4 totem druid con drop). For EDR i think it would be best to get a race with +2 to con, go for something like 20 con, 16 wis and 10 int then pick rat or spider as a totem, +2 to con and wis gifts will net me 18con 18wis and 12-14int.
EDR will be very difficult to get with totem form. You'll lose out somewhere else instead. Dragonshape is a free feat you can get from a secret NPC in game. You'll need 19 wisdom for level 9 spells and its favorable to get at least 13 intelligence for improved expertise. I personally have a L30 druid without EDR and there is /very/ little content I cannot do solo.
Gobol wrote:
3) Why so many builds prefer transumatation feats? I dont really know what +1 to animal spells means.
Epic Transmutation makes Aura of Vitality last turns per level instead of rounds. So with an extended Aura you can buff your summons, yourself and your friends for 60 minutes at level 30 druid. It also gives you +2 to your 'animal' spells. Bulls Strength, Cats Grace etc. You can also teleport and make temporary source portals for your friends.

I feel personally that epic skill focus in conjuration and transmutation is a must for druids. Summon elemental swarm and your animal companion, buff them up ultravision, bulls strength, barkskin and extended spell resistance/regenerate throw an extended Aura of vitality on top and you can go anywhere on Arelith pretty much. Bar like 2 places.