Rogue Build Feedback (ex Rogue Halfling and Knockdown)

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Rogue Build Feedback (ex Rogue Halfling and Knockdown)

Post by Quidix » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:14 am

Posted new suggested build on post below: https://imgur.com/a/ImxofA5 - didn't want to create another thread.

Original post:

"I'm new to the server and have started following the standard rogue build of 24R / 6F as all the grenades seem like a lot of fun.
(https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L2F ... 7aRjo/edit)

Now, I made it a halfling instead - but a few levels in I'm starting to realise this mean knockdown will be less effective given the small stature.

1) How important is knockdown for rogues mid-high level?
2) Is it still worth taking KD and IKD as a halfling? If not, what would you take instead?

I've gotten 1 more dex at start, so I effectively have the same feats as a human as I can sacrifice a Dex I for a pre-epic feat if I want to.

Greatly appreciate the help!"
Last edited by Quidix on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drak
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Rogue Halfling and Knockdown

Post by Drak » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:03 pm

As a 24/6 Rogue Halfling, I love IKD. Sure I can't knock down giants and wyverns, but I can still knock down 95% of the enemies I face, including PCs. If I were to remake without IKD, I'd be a little off-put.

Thats my two cens at least!

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:56 pm

Drak wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:03 pm
As a 24/6 Rogue Halfling, I love IKD. Sure I can't knock down giants and wyverns, but I can still knock down 95% of the enemies I face, including PCs. If I were to remake without IKD, I'd be a little off-put.

I thought that may be the case, so yes, may indeed considering remaking on that basis

Drak
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Drak » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:19 pm

Quidix wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:56 pm
Drak wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:03 pm

I thought that may be the case, so yes, may indeed considering remaking on that basis
I'm sure Iron Will and Great Fortitude would be acceptable replacements. My Will save is atrocious.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:24 pm

As a rogue halfling you are going to want knockdown and improved knockdown. You won't be able to pin everyone down, but the loss of KD on a rogue is significant.

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:08 am

That's helpful - thanks both.

So, I think I'm remaking as a human - any feedback on the following build to avoid further remakes? https://imgur.com/a/ImxofA5

In particular keen to ensure it's not breaking any requirements / rules as I'm still getting familiar with the NWN1 rules.

(it's an adapted version of the cookie-cutter 19R/8F/3M to make it into 19R/5F/6R)

Freyason

Re: Rogue Build Feedback (ex Rogue Halfling and Knockdown)

Post by Freyason » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:17 pm

It's little hard to read in that format,

but I would do 12R/4M/4F split preepic to max out saves, AB and number of attacks

19/6/5 was my first Arelith character. Tho when I got to about 8 I realized goblins with kamas are no good (before kamas were small)

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:12 am

Quidix wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:08 am
That's helpful - thanks both.

So, I think I'm remaking as a human - any feedback on the following build to avoid further remakes? https://imgur.com/a/ImxofA5

In particular keen to ensure it's not breaking any requirements / rules as I'm still getting familiar with the NWN1 rules.

(it's an adapted version of the cookie-cutter 19R/8F/3M to make it into 19R/5F/6R)
Also... Don't start with 14 wisdom. I don't think you need to invest in it at all. Leave it at 8, put those 6 points into dexterity to start at 18. I'd also prioritize Epic Prowess over Armor Skin (though Armor Skin is good too!) because you need as much AB as you can possibly get. I hope you're using quarterstaff and not kama by the way if you are remaking as human.

Though, I hope you aren't remaking because you think halfling rogues are weak. A 24/6 halfling is a very solid build and they have access to the hin-only Sword of the Dale tailor made for them. I'd much rather play a halfling rogue than human rogue/monk myself.