Pure Level 30 Healing Path Cleric

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Zeskay

Pure Level 30 Healing Path Cleric

Post by Zeskay » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Yeah. I'm crazy. I know this is not ideal. No UMD, no discipline. I hear you, please bear with me. I just want to see if -respite is actually a thing :P

I have essentially followed the feat progression suggested here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

She's a Travel/Trickery cleric. The character is almost level 23, where she'll pick up ESF: Conjuration, and then ES: DK the following level. But after that, I honestly don't know what to pick for her last 3 feats.

The build suggests the following:
  • Choice of Epic Mummy Dust/Armor Skin*
  • Choice of Armor Skin/Scribe Scroll/Craft Wand/Mummy Dust
  • Epic Skill Focus: Discipline (Moot for her, she doesn't have discipline.)
She's not comfortable with using necromancy to reanimate the dead, so no mummies, and Armor Skin is not recommended for healer clerics. She has Craft Wand, so Scribe Scroll may be a possibility? But I don't know what to do with the other two feats.

I am aware this is not optimal, I don't expect her to be a PvP master, and if it comes down to PvP, I fully expect her to get her butt kicked. She's more party support/utility (portals & yoink) than anything.

Suggestions appreciated!

Miskol
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Pure Level 30 Healing Path Cleric

Post by Miskol » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Epic reputation is nice if you want to roleplay someone well known. There are always the epic saves to shore up any glaring weaknesses you may have, and if all else seems unappealing, great wisdom is always an option to get more spell slots and higher DC.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:13 pm

You get 2 Cleric bonus feats from where you are to 30: one at level 26, one at level 29. In addition you have your levels 24, 27, and 30 feats. You can't take ESF: Discipline because you don't have enough base ranks. Assuming you grab EDK at level 24, that still leaves you with 4 feats, 2 of which are Cleric Bonus feats.

The Cleric Bonus Feat list is:
Armor skin, automatic quicken spell, automatic silent spell, automatic still spell, epic spell focus, epic spell penetration, great wisdom, greater spell focus, improved combat casting, planar turning.

For you, given what you have, this narrows down to Armor Skin & Great Wisdom.

If you don't wanna get Armor Skin, you could use your 2 remaining Cleric Bonus Feats to snag Great Wisdom I & II and bring your ending WIS up to 28. It's an extra DC and some spell slots.

You can use the other two feats for whatever you really want. Snag Craft Wand/Scribe Scroll, grab an Epic Save feat to mitigate low reflex if you're concerned about it, grab Epic Reputation for memes.

Another alternative is to grab a third Spell Focus. If you took SF: Anything at level 24 or 27, you could use your Cleric level 26 or 29 bonus feats, respectively, to grab Greater Spell Focus, and then grab Epic Spell Focus at 27 or 30, respectively.

You would still have a bonus Cleric feat, at which point you may as well grab Armor Skin since the alternative is deleveling to 20 and retaking 21 to not use it on an Epic Spell Focus and instead pushing ESF: Trans to a Cleric Bonus Feat.

Really the world is your oyster with this. You seem to understand the risks of not taking Bard or otherwise multiclassing, so I'm not going to try and convince you to. Best of luck, and if you have anymore questions let me know.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Zeskay

Post by Zeskay » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:03 pm

Thank you for your insight and the thorough response. I forgot about the extra cleric feat since I'm not going to multiclass.

I think I like the first route better, at least for now. Greater Wisdom I & II, Scribe Scroll, and help with the pitiful reflex saves or Epic Reputation if I feel she's at a point where that would make sense by the time she gets to pick her last feat. The alternative would be going for ESF: Divination, perhaps. Still got a few levels to figure this out.

Thank you both again :)

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:40 pm

Zeskay wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:03 pm
Thank you for your insight and the thorough response. I forgot about the extra cleric feat since I'm not going to multiclass.

I think I like the first route better, at least for now. Greater Wisdom I & II, Scribe Scroll, and help with the pitiful reflex saves or Epic Reputation if I feel she's at a point where that would make sense by the time she gets to pick her last feat. The alternative would be going for ESF: Divination, perhaps. Still got a few levels to figure this out.

Thank you both again :)
Alternatively, grab Epic Reflexes at level 30. Then if you want to change and grab Craft Wand or something else instead, it's easy to do.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:04 pm

I just added a pure healer build to the Essential Cookie-Cutter Build Thread. This build is courtesy of Peppermint.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:30 am

Quicken and, possibly, auto-quicken might not be a bad idea.

I'd also suggest Hellball and maybe Greater Ruin. Even if you don't have epic evocation focus. You're a healer cleric so with overhead, a regenerate up and a heal cast afterwards if needed you can handle the damage casting it does to you.

I personally don't think a great reflex save feat is going to help you enough to use up a feat slot. Your saves still won't be that great, best to learn to avoid being in that situation instead.

Zeskay

Post by Zeskay » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:34 pm

Sea Shanties wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:30 am
Quicken and, possibly, auto-quicken might not be a bad idea.

I'd also suggest Hellball and maybe Greater Ruin. Even if you don't have epic evocation focus. You're a healer cleric so with overhead, a regenerate up and a heal cast afterwards if needed you can handle the damage casting it does to you.

I personally don't think a great reflex save feat is going to help you enough to use up a feat slot. Your saves still won't be that great, best to learn to avoid being in that situation instead.
Yeah, I think you may be right. Epic reflexes is not going to help much, if at all. Thanks for your input.

Gee look who

Post by Gee look who » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Jack Oat wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:13 pm
(...)
Really the world is your oyster with this. You seem to understand the risks of not taking Bard or otherwise multiclassing, so I'm not going to try and convince you to. Best of luck, and if you have anymore questions let me know.
Why is bard so important on this build?

Zeskay

Post by Zeskay » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Gee look who wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:31 pm
Jack Oat wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:13 pm
(...)
Why is bard so important on this build?
I'm guessing discipline and UMD.