Disarm on Str Ranger

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

boggle99

Disarm on Str Ranger

Post by boggle99 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:39 pm

I'm building a strength based ranger using a double sword as their main weapon, with the weapon size and the increased bab from favoured enemies I was wondering is disarm and imp disarm worth taking instead of the KD feats? Do you still gain sneak attacks when attacking a unarmed opponent?

Jack Oat

Re: Disarm on Str Ranger

Post by Jack Oat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:09 pm

You never got Sneak Attacks against unarmed components that I'm aware of. Even if so, you don't now.

This really comes down to personal preference, though IKD seems to be more useful for PvP and PvE from my experience.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

flower

Post by flower » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:25 pm

Succesful disarm can disable fighting abilities better than IKD. But it only for pvp, majority of npcs are immune to disarm.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:33 pm

You don't gain sneak attacks, but you do gain an extra attack of opportunity if they try to punch you, giving you up to 8 attacks per round with haste against and unarmed enemy.

Is it better than knockdown? No, absolutely not. Being able to disable an enemy is far more important than being able to disarm them, as some things like mage spawns don't have weapons to begin with and will ignore your disarm attempts.

Disarm is mostly useful for pvp, knocking away weapons from weapon-dependant builds.

You CAN use it against npcs, some of which become super dangerous for the area to laughably easy like the dual-kurki wharftown boy leader. Not all enemies can be disarmed, which also isn't terrible, as you still get a +8 or +4 AB bonus against tiny/small weapons respectively, meaning spamming imp disarm against a dagger enemy is essentially a permanent +8 AB, even if you can't disarm them.

I rped that as a skilled polearm user utterly destroying his enemies by manipulating them at a distance (bringing a knife to a spearfight!)

Still, not nearly as important to a melee build as knockdown or imp expertise.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:55 pm

msterswrdsmn wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:33 pm
You don't gain sneak attacks, but you do gain an extra attack of opportunity if they try to punch you, giving you up to 8 attacks per round with haste against and unarmed enemy.

Is it better than knockdown? No, absolutely not. Being able to disable an enemy is far more important than being able to disarm them, as some things like mage spawns don't have weapons to begin with and will ignore your disarm attempts.

Disarm is mostly useful for pvp, knocking away weapons from weapon-dependant builds.

You CAN use it against npcs, some of which become super dangerous for the area to laughably easy like the dual-kurki wharftown boy leader. Not all enemies can be disarmed, which also isn't terrible, as you still get a +8 or +4 AB bonus against tiny/small weapons respectively, meaning spamming imp disarm against a dagger enemy is essentially a permanent +8 AB, even if you can't disarm them.

I rped that as a skilled polearm user utterly destroying his enemies by manipulating them at a distance (bringing a knife to a spearfight!)

Still, not nearly as important to a melee build as knockdown or imp expertise.
I like this reply (mostly; correction at the bottom). This is how I feel on the matter put msterfully into words.

In the end it boils down to IKD being able to disable an opponent by laying them out, subsequently letting you get more hits in.

My correction is just that the whole "extra attack if they try to punch you" thing is a bit wrong, at least on Arelith. You only get that extra AoO if the person is unarmed and doesn't have something in their glove/gauntlet slot, which discounts most any PvP encounter after approximately level 4, if not earlier.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable