Sorcerer Builds

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Basementfellow

Sorcerer Builds

Post by Basementfellow » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:37 pm

I notice a distinct lack of them in the cookie-cutter guide. I assume it's because they sorta suck. Nevertheless, I'm curious as to the best ways to build them.

What class spread and spell focuses are favored with them? Which spells, for that matter -- seeing as how they've very few to work with?
Iceborn wrote:I shall very inefficiently murder with a spoon the next individual that mentions Shrek.

Jack Oat

Re: Sorcerer Builds

Post by Jack Oat » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:09 pm

They don't suck, I just didn't post any because I kinda forgot.

Generally the normal ones are Sorcerer 27/Bard 3 or Sorc 27/Ranger 3 to nab an extra feat at the cost of some UMD scrolls. There are also Sorc/Paladin and Sorc/BG combos that boost saves and AC by a good amount.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:42 am

Going to try a true-flame/cleric build.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:50 am

Vrass wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:42 am
Going to try a true-flame/cleric build.
This will not end well. You don't get to cast any other spells from Cleric than Evocation, I believe, and you don't get those infinitely like you do Trueflame's. Also, stacking two casting classes is mostly considered a terrible idea as you sort of end up sucking with both.

Garrbear wrote:

Irongron wrote:

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:34 am

Having two caster classes might not be optimal but the ability to use both arcane and divine has its uses.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:43 am

I'm curious what you think those uses are? You don't get unlimited cleric evo spells, you can't use non-evo scrolls or wands (arcane OR divine) because you're true flame.. What am I missing?

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:14 pm

Vrass wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:34 am
Having two caster classes might not be optimal but the ability to use both arcane and divine has its uses.
UMD provides this normally for other builds, but with Trueflame you literally cannot use anything from the Cleric spellbook iirc. You'd be able to use Evocation spells on wands and scrolls, but those are usually low CL to the point of being negligible with the sole exception of Word of Faith.

Garrbear wrote:

Irongron wrote:

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:51 pm

Deep breaths, Jack!

Vrass, a few other things to consider:

* Depending on your split, you could lower your caster level to the point where enemies with SR shut you down hard.

* Clerics do not get discipline as a class skill, so any enemy with KD will likewise shut you down.

I'm all for trying janky builds with the knowledge that they're unoptimal and weird, but I've got serious doubts about the ability of a TF/cleric to even function in PvE, which is generally fairly easy.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Alantar
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Alantar » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:54 pm

I'd try a sorcerer/paladin build.

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:31 am

Currently im a wizard/cleric. The point of doing TF/cleric was that i would be able to use the cleric spells without suffering the evo only penalty on the cleric side. Last server i was on had a similar restriction which could be gotten around by taking a different spellcasting class. If such is not possible here then you are right, its even less optimal then my current build. So much for that... back to the drawing board. :(

The1Kobra

Post by The1Kobra » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:23 pm

True Flame does restrict your other casting classes, so combinations aren't all that useful. The only reason to go TF/cleric would be to pick up divine shield. Paladin and blackguard do it better but they're alignment restricted, and blackguard requires an additional feat in cleave.

It will still be hard to get a decent AC on a divine shield true flame, but it can help take your AC out of the 'garbage bin' as it were.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:59 pm

The1Kobra wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:23 pm
Paladin and blackguard do it better but they're alignment restricted, and blackguard requires an additional feat in cleave.
Two additional feats. You cannot take cleave without power attack, and your spellcasting sorcerer is pretty much guaranteed not to have power attack unless you're going for divine shield.

Optionally, Harper Paragon nets you divine shield without the need for power attack or cleave, but that is also alignment restricted.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:28 am

Bear in mind Harper Paragon also requires 2 feats: Alertness & Iron Will. The benefit here is that you won't have to dip 13 into str for power attack by going Harper Paragon.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:30 am

If you're making a Harper true flame I'd say going Haper Mage would be far more advantageous though, endless casting of level 9 evo spells with no component cost and two of three free Auto Quicken feats are a hell of a lot better than some AC.

I think a high CON True Flame/Fighter with EDR 3 and wearing plate armor with Auto Still spell could work if you don't want to be tied to a divine class.

But really the best TF experience is going to be having someone to guard you while you cut loose so if you really want to make one try to come up with a concept that will be social and make friends. Even with a paladin dip and divine shield you're still a glass cannon.