Hard Mode: Ogre Feylock

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

The Incredulous Bulk

Hard Mode: Ogre Feylock

Post by The Incredulous Bulk » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Suppose, for the sake of argument, that somebody put a gun to your head and told you to design an ogre feylock to be as effective as possible within the constraints of the build. You know this is a bad idea, but you have no choice but to do so because there is a gun to your head. How would you design it? Would you take 3 BG? Would you go con based for EDR, or pump up Cha, or go for a balance between both? How would you stat it? I'd like to hear people's ideas.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Hard Mode: Ogre Feylock

Post by Kalopsia » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:15 am

I'd probably go for the BG dip, considering Ogres get the necessary STR almost for free.
Feylocks want a lot of CHA though, so I guess you'd be best off relying on heavy armor, high spell DCs and Divine Shield AC for defense.

This would be the detailed build!
(Open in new tab for better resolution!)

This is a bit skill point starved, so you might consider lowering the starting DEX some in favor of INT.

The Incredulous Bulk

Post by The Incredulous Bulk » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:03 am

Wow, thanks! I should note, though, that starting with a half-orc base means you must have at least 10 str, and that gift of the magi applies -2 to your strength upon selection, so in order to get the 13 str, you need to start with 11. (so 11 -> 15 from ogre -> 13 from GotM). This is still very helpful, though! Part of why I was struggling with the stat score is that I was going for 18 con, but lowering that (if you recommend doing so) frees up some space to tweak the ability scores bit.

Do I want to gear it for Cha and Con or Cha and Dex?
Last edited by The Incredulous Bulk on Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:25 am

As you didn't specify the feylock had to be 30 bard (or even majority bard), my first idea would've been to go 12 feylock, 8 weapon master, 10 fighter - use a greatsword with a towershield/-twohand(I think Ogres can use that?) - but then it needs high str, 13 dex, 14 int and 13 cha with three of those being dropped by being an ogre, so that doesn't work so well.

Second idea then is a glass cannon that is 13 feylock, 17 barbarian - a warlock raging barbarian ogre!

Rough idea:
Starting stats - 18 (22), 8 (6), 16 (18), 8 (8), 6 (4), 14 (12)
Final Stats - 28+,6, 18, 8, 4, 13
Level 3 Feylock - 15 Barbarian - 3 feylock - 1 barbarian - 6 feylock - 1 barbarian

Key Feats:
Weapon Focus
Epic Weapon Focus
Extend Spell
Thundering Rage
Blindfight
Improved Critical
Great Strength x2-4
etc on regular meleer feats
Possible Feats:
Spell Focus/GSF Transmutation (for -teleport and slightly stronger zoo spell wands)

----
Benefits:
Permanent haste from feylock
Bonus attack from thundering rage
+9 rage damage
+2 barbarian damage
High strength
Access to arcane wands/scrolls including timestop

Sadly, has 1 skill and low AC (though can use a shield with the greatsword, mage armour, haste, and with a drop in strength can get tumble maxed).

Not claiming it's a top tier build mind, but it gets to keep up 6 attacks a round with a high strength and pretty high damage~
Last edited by WanderingPoet on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:10 am

Kalopsia wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:15 am
I'd probably go for the BG dip, considering Ogres get the necessary STR almost for free.
Feylocks want a lot of CHA though, so I guess you'd be best off relying on heavy armor, high spell DCs and Divine Shield AC for defense.

This would be the detailed build!
(Open in new tab for better resolution!)

This is a bit skill point starved, so you might consider lowering the starting DEX some in favor of INT.
I'd do this but sub 2 great cha for SF and GSF abjuration.