Epic Feat: Blinding Speed for Rogue

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Gable Morninglord
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Epic Feat: Blinding Speed for Rogue

Post by Gable Morninglord » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:30 am

Per the build I am using for a Rogue, I am planning on taking these Epic feats at the respective lvls;

24 rogue Epic Prowess
27 rogue Epic Dodge
29 Ftr Epic Weapon Specialization
30 Rogue Epic Skill Focus Discipline

Due to the recent Rogue class changes, I will now be offered Epic Feat: Blinding Speed. How does BS compare to the others? Is it worth sacrificing Epic Prowess, Epic Dodge, EWS or ESF Dodge in order to take it?

Any advice?
Man of Action.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Epic Feat: Blinding Speed for Rogue

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:44 am

It's a judgement call at that point. They're all good feats. BS lets you stay hasted for three out of every four minutes, which is significant. You'll have to make the decision based on how you want to play.

Discipline can be made up for with gear, but it leaves you dangerously low.
EWS won't be as necessary if you're relying mostly on sneaks for damage.
Prowess is only 1AB, but it's still 1AB on a low AB class. Rogue AB increase does help to counter the loss, if you go 24.
I wouldn't drop E-Dodge. That's your only real protection from big crits.

BS, however, lets you operate more freely on your own, if you're a spy or doing hit and run type attacks, and saves you from always having to be in range of your mage when the Mass Haste drops.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:40 pm

The best advice I've heard on this is to roll a 15 rogue/5 fighter pre-epic to push your 16th rogue bonus feat into epic levels. That way you'll be able to pick up all 5 feats.

Dirac

Post by Dirac » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:24 pm

Ork wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:40 pm
The best advice I've heard on this is to roll a 15 rogue/5 fighter pre-epic to push your 16th rogue bonus feat into epic levels. That way you'll be able to pick up all 5 feats.
What pre-epic rogue feat are you dropping for this? Crippling strike? I'd drop +1AB from Epic Prowess over any of those feats.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Crippling strike, yea. The biggest issue with rogues is their low AB. They need to capitalize with every advantage in that department.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:36 pm

I can't say I'd agree with Orc. Given your fast stealth speed and ability to best capitalize on it (and assuming you're dual-wielding), you can get 2-3 Sneak Attacks off in the first flurry, which drops your opponent's STR by 4-6. Crippling Strike is amazing.

I would ditch Epic Prowess for Blinding Speed. -1 AB hurts, yes. I don't deny that. If you're doing a 24/6 build you sort of make up for this by getting both the AB on weapon (if a Rogue weapon) and AB out of Stealth. I'd argue those make up for the AB loss from Epic Prowess.

Still keep the 16/4 pre-epic split for saves.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:20 pm

Jack Oat wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:36 pm
I can't say I'd agree with Orc. Given your fast stealth speed and ability to best capitalize on it (and assuming you're dual-wielding), you can get 2-3 Sneak Attacks off in the first flurry, which drops your opponent's STR by 4-6. Crippling Strike is amazing.

I would ditch Epic Prowess for Blinding Speed. -1 AB hurts, yes. I don't deny that. If you're doing a 24/6 build you sort of make up for this by getting both the AB on weapon (if a Rogue weapon) and AB out of Stealth. I'd argue those make up for the AB loss from Epic Prowess.

Still keep the 16/4 pre-epic split for saves.
After just playing a character like this, I would definitely recommend blinding speed over epic prowess. Heck, I was able to take it at level 21 and it was of great use all throughout, especially with the rogue cooldowns. Don't forget a nearly constant +4AC as well from it at higher levels of rogue.

Astral

Post by Astral » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:07 am

According to the cookie cutter build in this forum which I'm using currently, you dont need to give up any of these feats and you dont need to take 5th fighter pre-epic. I get crippling strike and 16th rogue pre-epic and then I have 7 more feats (including fighter bonus) so:

21 (fighter) epic wf
24 (rogue bonus) BS and armor skin
27 epic dodge
29 epic weapon spec
30 (rogue bonus) epic disc and prowess
Currently playing: Seth Xylo