Possible to exploit shadow mage?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Lurch

Possible to exploit shadow mage?

Post by Lurch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:52 pm

In a previous thread it was mentioned that a prc like harper paragon can use its caster level progression to increase UMD caster level past 30, as long as the character either lacks or refrains from using their spellbook for spellcasting.

The wiki states that shadow mages gain a similar bonus from shadowdancer instead of sneak attack, when standing near their shadow summon, this got me thinking:

Is it possible to gain up to 50 UMD caster level by utilizing this feature? Let's say one starts as a shadow mage, picks up shadow dancer asap at level 4 (since shadow mages don't need the feat and skill prerequisites), go full shadowdancer, rounding out with a bard to gain UMD and discipline to boot, for example:

wizard 3 / SD 19 / bard 8

19 levels of shadowdancer leaves room for a final 8th bard at level 30 to max skill ranks.

For instance, using a spell resistance scroll one could get 61 spell resistance. I'm sure you can think of many other uncapped spells that would benefit from this ability.

Hunter548

Re: Possible to exploit shadow mage?

Post by Hunter548 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:20 pm

CL boosts from PRCs recently got changed to not affect items.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Lurch

Re: Possible to exploit shadow mage?

Post by Lurch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Damn, I was just about to add a pale master build for a similar purpose, oh well.

It is a sensible change for sure, this thread was partly meant to raise the issue.