Seeking a Build spread...

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Annakist

Seeking a Build spread...

Post by Annakist » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:04 pm

str-based Horc Monk/PDK Vanguard/Sin

Seeing if anyone has the layout spread of this build off hand.

I'd like to push a Qstaff into the build instead of the intense double sword/ax.

Thanks and thanks! :shock:

Baron Saturday

Re: Seeking a Build spread...

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:31 am

So, just to be clear, a str-based monk/PDK/ssin is going to be really, REALLY squishy. Wearing armor effectively disables all monk benefits (notably, monk APR - which isn't mentioned on NWN wiki, but IS lost while wearing armor) except for the free feats, and without armor you'll struggle to get your AC past 30. This means that for leveling, you effectively need someone -guarding you, or you'll get shredded in every single fight. If you want to stay str-based, you should seriously consider ditching monk for bard or rogue.

If you went dex-based, however, monk/PDK/ssin works quite nicely. Something like monk 4/PDK 10/ssin 16, for instance, would qualify you for edodge (as long as you didn't take assassin 16 at level 30) and have some nice versatility between PDK and assassin abilities.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Mitochon17

Post by Mitochon17 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:20 pm

You're just in luckl I have actually been playing around with horc str monk/pdk builds for the last month before scrapping the entire thing and going with str monk/fighter but if you really want one... I last settled 4 rogue/ 16 monk/ 10 pdk. You're too feat starved for quarterstaff so unarmed is your best bet for this terrible build. I went for rogue instead of assassin because I wanted umd as soon as possible for ac from scrolls which helps in the early levels.

Stat spread I went with 18 str, 12 dex, 14 con, 16 Wis, 13 int 6 cha. Gearing this monstrosity to get decent ac will be hard to say the least. You need to gear for +8 str +8 con +3 Wis +5 Dex so you better have an enchanter friend and then you need to have been hitting up a druid friend for owl's insight scrolls and you need skleens but then you get your mediocre ac of 53 when buffed with every possible buff. I would suggest you not play this build unless you really want your concept.

You could also drop all dex and wis, pump strength and grab a kama and just use plate mail and shield when you don't have a guard. Let's you drop a bunch of monk levels too as you don't need the monk unarmed damage bonus anymore.

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:35 pm

The Forbidden Meme.

Edit 1: I've refused to give out this build before because of how stupid it can be, but I know other people have developed it as well.

The whole point of the build isn't AC or squishiness. It's to use the saveless Vanguard 10 paralysis to stun someone for a round, then inflict 15% Damage Vulnerability on someone before turning them into paste with STR damage, Death Attack damage, and Player Tool 2 damage from Assassin, all on Monk APR against a flat-footed and paralyzed target. You need a partner to level, but leveling is fairly easy since you have PDK boons and output a lot of damage.

Edit 2: This is the highest DPS output build on the server. At least that I've come up with. Outputs something near 1100 damage in a round, assuming all attacks hit.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

TroubledWaters

Post by TroubledWaters » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:21 pm

Jack Oat wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:35 pm
The Forbidden Meme.
I mean, it's not that hard to figure out what this build is! Folks can figure it for themselves as well.

Do you like kamas or qstaff for this? Kamas let you poison, but qstaff gets you that bonus AB.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:03 pm

The issue is, Final Stand takes a round to do, and is a full action. Your target will be un-Vanguarded in the round it takes for you to start swinging again, similar to the loss in efficiency in scrolling Timestop vs haste casting it.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:50 am

PDK does immobilization. Your target can attack back, část spells, use scrolls and alike. Any area effect spell placed down will force you to roll off for initiative with high chance denyin you your paralise attack from asasín.

And target can also use GS when immobilized.