I require expert guidance on my next step

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Joheshua

I require expert guidance on my next step

Post by Joheshua » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:19 am

I am about to reach level 9, according to the cookie cutter cleric guide I should choose the feat of Extend Spell.

How does Extend Spell work? It only extends the duration of one spell correct? With that being the case what spell am I suppose to choose? I want to extend regenerate or haste but neither are even in my spell-book yet...

This brings me to my real inquiry, is using Extend Spell at this time of my build really the best feat I can choose?

What other feats might I entertain?

Anyone know the person that made this guide? What spell did he intend the build to extend?

Commissar

Re: I require expert guidance on my next step

Post by Commissar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:35 am

Extend spell lets you cast any of your spells as extended but they will occupy a spell slot one level higher than they normally would.

For example, as a 9th level cleric (not accounting for bonus slots) you have:
- 3 Level 4 Slots
- 2 Level 5 Slots

Normally, Freedom of Movement is a fourth level spell, so I could prepare, at max, three uses of it. But with extend, I can have three normal Freedom of Movements, and two Extended Freedom of Movements (because the extended version occupies a slot one level higher). The extended Freedom of movements will have twice the normal duration.

There's a lot of spells that are worth extending. Buffs, haste (if you have it as a domain spell), regeneration, etc.

Take the feat. It's well worth it. And it'll make a lot more sense in terms of how it works, once you get it.
May you live in interesting times.
Manticore, on Sun Elves wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure the racism is like a mating ritual or something. Like plumes on birds.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:38 am

Commissar wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:35 am
Extend spell lets you cast any of your spells as extended
Well, that makes a lot more sense.

Thanks! Extend Spell it is.

If this is the case with Empower Spell and Maximize Spell I am quite happy right now.

Commissar

Post by Commissar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:03 am

Yeah, it's the same for empower and maximize. Maximize is sometimes used to, say, boost up buff spells so you're rolling as high as possible on each cast - or, for mages, for Issac's Greater Missile Storm. A big part of their utility is in giving you more castings of spells that you use a lot.
May you live in interesting times.
Manticore, on Sun Elves wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure the racism is like a mating ritual or something. Like plumes on birds.

Alox

Post by Alox » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:30 pm

extend spell let you cast haste that lasts up to 5 minutes or more on high level, and on improve invis you can give almost half an hour of 50% concealment. This is provided you have the domains that gives you access to these spells.