Drow ambusher

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

flower

Drow ambusher

Post by flower » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:42 am

I am running class split 15r/10sd/5 asasín

Drow, focus on crossbow (spinneret).

14 ranger pre epic (15th for epic feat). I do not know yet exact progression, but idea is based on stalking and ambushing people, using poisons and in case it is needed, just hips off to reengage. Originally i planned 10 lvls of asasín but noticed all perks come beyond it so i dropped five of it in favor of ranger.

LongDongPingPong

Re: Drow ambusher

Post by LongDongPingPong » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:37 am

Do remember that rangers also get HiPS in natural areas on lvl 16. And with that level split you will also don't have Bane of enemies. Did you think about doing something like Ranger 21 / Blackguard 4 / Assassin 5 for HiPS/BoE or Ranger 7 / Assassin 18 / Shadowdancer 5 for having way deadlier death attack and other assassin spells?

flower

Post by flower » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:59 am

LongDongPingPong wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:37 am
Do remember that rangers also get HiPS in natural areas on lvl 16. And with that level split you will also don't have Bane of enemies. Did you think about doing something like Ranger 21 / Blackguard 4 / Assassin 5 for HiPS/BoE or Ranger 7 / Assassin 18 / Shadowdancer 5 for having way deadlier death attack and other assassin spells?
Hmm I may consider the latter, but it drops ab down.

I want to be able to use HIPS in interiors as well.

Why is there listed blindfight, when it has no impact on range attacks?

LongDongPingPong

Post by LongDongPingPong » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:16 am

flower wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:59 am
Since when? Range attack still have chance to miss when you attack concealed targets.

flower

Post by flower » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:21 am

LongDongPingPong wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:16 am
flower wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:59 am
Since when? Range attack still have chance to miss when you attack concealed targets.
Description speaks of melee. Is shooting considered as melee?

Also the build lacks feats neccesary to qualify for SD. On Wiki of Arelith neither of NWN is listed that asasín levels would add dodge and mobility.

LongDongPingPong

Post by LongDongPingPong » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:35 am

flower wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:21 am
Description speaks of melee. Is shooting considered as melee?
http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Blind_fight
You got it wrong. The description means that invisible creatures get no additional AB vs target that has blind fight.
flower wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:21 am
Also the build lacks feats neccesary to qualify for SD. On Wiki of Arelith neither of NWN is listed that asasín levels would add dodge and mobility.
You right there, I do not why the creator of the build missed it...I guess you can ditch expertise feats for prerequisites, I don't see ranged character using them often.

TheShadowdove

Post by TheShadowdove » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:40 pm

Could do 21 ranger 5 SD, then space fill with rogue or assassin. Bane of enemies is pretty strong, especially with all of the other ranger boosts.

Higher ab, reliable damage, counter sneaking is a bit easier with higher boosts from favored enemies, ranger gets ranged feats for free, useful stealth boosting and utility spells, by the time you have bane of enemies you also have the Arelith damage boosts to archer subclass(an effective 6+5fe(11) damage per hit) .

Basically with higher ab and static damage you can plink down foes, but also spot well.

Amusingly it should be pretty capable of called shot leg spamming any non str build until they can barely crawl. While still having the added benefit of being able to hips and reposition.

flower

Post by flower » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:18 pm

TheShadowdove wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:40 pm
Could do 21 ranger 5 SD, then space fill with rogue or assassin. Bane of enemies is pretty strong, especially with all of the other ranger boosts.

Higher ab, reliable damage, counter sneaking is a bit easier with higher boosts from favored enemies, ranger gets ranged feats for free, useful stealth boosting and utility spells, by the time you have bane of enemies you also have the Arelith damage boosts to archer subclass(an effective 6+5fe(11) damage per hit) .

Basically with higher ab and static damage you can plink down foes, but also spot well.

Amusingly it should be pretty capable of called shot leg spamming any non str build until they can barely crawl. While still having the added benefit of being able to hips and reposition.
This character is not supposed to stand in fair fight. But to také people (and npcs!) by surprise. I have redesigned the 7/18/5 offered list to fit requirments for SD. It will also get ED which ranger build would not :( . Also 14d6 sneak attacks (with crossbow!).

And beside, there are too many rangers out there already :roll:

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:30 pm

Why the 10 shadow dancer? Goodies go assassin happen past 10 so instead of taking 5 assassins lvls off and putting in ranger (when you are not going for ranger build) take lvls off shadow dancer and hit that 15 mark. If you want improved evasion (for epic dodge even though you might want to spend feats elsewhere), just drop ranger even more and raise assassin levels even more.

Also improved sneak attack epic feat does not work if your only source of sneak attack is from assassin. (Again, many other important feats to take though like blinding speed).

If you really dont want to be another ranger, the high assassin lvls allows you to be very drowish. Higher DC on death attacks, better damage for your assasinate ability. Obviously higher death attack damage, multiple ways of disappearing when HiPs is on cooldown, higher DCs on poisons
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

flower

Post by flower » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:52 pm

I do not plan on taking improved sneak attacks, 18 asasín level should provide 9d6 death attack and crossbow 5d6 sneak and i was told it stacks.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:56 am

your chart for the latter build is wrong since HiPS was moved from lvl 1 SD to lvl 5
Yes I can sign