Death Domain and Empower Spell

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Joheshua

Death Domain and Empower Spell

Post by Joheshua » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:51 am

If I empower my harm from death domain will it become double empowered?

PinataPlethora

Re: Death Domain and Empower Spell

Post by PinataPlethora » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:52 am

Nope.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:07 am

PinataPlethora wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:52 am
Nope.
Does harm do alot of damage at 30?

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:23 am

Harm is one of the spells that has been changed on Arelith. You can find a full list of them here: http://wiki.arelith.com/Spell_changes

At level 30, it would deal 300 Negative Damage, lowering the creature to a minimum of 1 HP. Bear in mind, if you plan to use it in PvP, that Negative Energy Protection is a very popular pre-fight buff, because it blocks most forms of stat damage, so it's not going to be the devastating spell that it is in single player and many other modules, and in many cases the damage will be blocked outright.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:27 am

PinataPlethora wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:23 am
Harm is one of the spells that has been changed on Arelith. You can find a full list of them here: http://wiki.arelith.com/Spell_changes

At level 30, it would deal 300 Negative Damage, lowering the creature to a minimum of 1 HP. Bear in mind, if you plan to use it in PvP, that Negative Energy Protection is a very popular pre-fight buff, because it blocks most forms of stat damage, so it's not going to be the devastating spell that it is in single player and many other modules, and in many cases the damage will be blocked outright.
Is it possible for a cleric to dispell the negative energy protection?

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:52 am

It's possible, but not very reliable. Given how far it is down the breach list, you'd really want Greater Spell Breach to have a good chance of knocking it out the first time, and Clerics don't have access to that.

Harm is kind of a Hail Mary tactic, where you're banking entirely on your opponent's lack of preparation. Drop it at the beginning and move on. If it works, great. If not, don't waste any more time on it.

flower

Post by flower » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:29 am

Disjunction Scroll should remove it.

Lesser breach wand will strip it off from meleers often as well.

Wiki says it is possible to double empower however….

"Domain Changes
Death: Harm and all the Inflict Wound spells will be casted as an empowered spell.
Healing: Healing Circle is now affected by the domain, and like the rest of the healing spells, will be casted as an empowered spell.
Empowered spells from domain can be double empowered through metamagic."

You would want to go 26/27 cleric anyway and 4/3 bard...so should have access to it.

Once you remove spells ahead of it on breach list, each breach spell will auto remove it.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:05 am

flower wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:29 am
Disjunction Scroll should remove it.

Lesser breach wand will strip it off from meleers often as well.

"Domain Changes
Death: Harm and all the Inflict Wound spells will be casted as an empowered spell.
Healing: Healing Circle is now affected by the domain, and like the rest of the healing spells, will be casted as an empowered spell.
Empowered spells from domain can be double empowered through metamagic."

You would want to go 26/27 cleric anyway and 4/3 bard...so should have access to it.

Once you remove spells ahead of it on breach list, each breach spell will auto remove it.
I cant tell if the wiki is talking about just the healing domain or death and healing domain since it is a bullet point below the healing domain.

Can anyone confirm?

flower

Post by flower » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:10 am

I do not even know if it is actual info...sadly.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:13 am

flower wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:10 am
I do not even know if it is actual info...sadly.
Heh same problem I run into a lot.

I read about some guy turning his empowered harms in his spellbook into heals which would be quite versatile, especially if the harms were double empowered, would be nice.

What is a clerics main offensive spell apart from harm? Wonder if it is empowered it can be turned into a heal.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:02 pm

flower wrote:
Never noticed that before. It's in a really non-intuitive place on the wiki.

As for Cleric offensive spells, there aren't a lot of direct damage options aside from Implosion which is another Hail Mary. Cleric is really a support class, which is why so many players go for melee, because it allows them to support themselves. Word of Faith blinds, which can cause confusion. Storm of Vengeance has the potential to stun, but only against low Reflex characters without mind protection.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:01 pm

PinataPlethora wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:02 pm
flower wrote:
Never noticed that before. It's in a really non-intuitive place on the wiki.

As for Cleric offensive spells, there aren't a lot of direct damage options aside from Implosion which is another Hail Mary. Cleric is really a support class, which is why so many players go for melee, because it allows them to support themselves. Word of Faith blinds, which can cause confusion. Storm of Vengeance has the potential to stun, but only against low Reflex characters without mind protection.
Will my epic summons be able to protect me from other players?

Like Dragonknight, Mummy Dust, or the gate guy?

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:07 pm

For that, you really want Epic Dragon Knight. The most popular Healer path Cleric build uses it as the primary PvP tool and panic button in all other cases. Monolithic Elementals (which require GSF: Conjuration I think?) are pretty close in power, but every little bit counts when you're dealing with a player who can simply outrun or outsmart your summon. Since all EDK summons have True Seeing, Haste, and Freedom, they're ideal for thwarting PCs.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:09 pm

PinataPlethora wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:07 pm
For that, you really want Epic Dragon Knight. The most popular Healer path Cleric build uses it as the primary PvP tool and panic button in all other cases. Monolithic Elementals (which require GSF: Conjuration I think?) are pretty close in power, but every little bit counts when you're dealing with a player who can simply outrun or outsmart your summon. Since all EDK summons have True Seeing, Haste, and Freedom, they're ideal for thwarting PCs.
I am going to have extended haste/Improved invis as well, I will be fine as long as I have a way to survive being killed as opposed to being able to kill people.

What other things can I do Like haste to increase my movement speed to escape potential assassins and the like?

thinking about going Cleric/Monk instead of Cleric/Bard for the AC and 10% movement speed I think it is?

But I also want access to timestop eventually lol

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Joheshua wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:09 pm
I will be fine as long as I have a way to survive being killed
Greater Sanctuary. You get it at level 6, so you'll have plenty of slots to spare. It doesn't even cost you piety to cast.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:39 pm

PinataPlethora wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:14 pm
Joheshua wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:09 pm
I will be fine as long as I have a way to survive being killed
Greater Sanctuary. You get it at level 6, so you'll have plenty of slots to spare. It doesn't even cost you piety to cast.
Yeah that looks like a lifesaver.

Is the wiki right that I can only cast epic dragon knight once a day?

flower

Post by flower » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:41 pm

If you také 3 monk instead of bard, you cannot breach negative protection and will have to rely onto greater dispel which is not the best idea.

But if all you plan to do in pvp is to hide and run, or support others from hide, then yes.

Yes once per day.

difference between elemental and dragon is dragon has SR which makes him resistent to WoF scrolls, where elementals will just do poof.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:43 pm

flower wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:41 pm
If you také 3 monk instead of bard, you cannot breach negative protection and will have to rely onto greater dispel which is not the best idea.

But if all you plan to do in pvp is to hide and run, or support others from hide, then yes.

Yes once per day.

difference between elemental and dragon is dragon has SR which makes him resistent to WoF scrolls, where elementals will just do poof.
Wont be able to use timestop scrolls either I suppose, think I will stick with bard.

Is that a 24 hour day?

flower

Post by flower » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:44 pm

Joheshua wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:43 pm
flower wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:41 pm

Yes once per day.

Wont be able to use timestop scrolls either I suppose, think I will stick with bard.

Is that a 24 hour day?
All once per day is till rest!

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:45 pm

flower wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:44 pm
All once per day is till rest!
Oh ok, that is excellent news lol

Alox

Post by Alox » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Joheshua wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:51 am
According to the wiki it can be double empowered.

http://wiki.arelith.com/Deity#Domains

Good tactic, let your EDK cast greater breach, then follow up with harm.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Alox wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:22 pm
Joheshua wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:51 am
According to the wiki it can be double empowered.

http://wiki.arelith.com/Deity#Domains

Good tactic, let your EDK cast greater breach, then follow up with harm.
The wiki is wrong. Harm cannot be empowered.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:43 am

Clerics are not mere support they can do devastating damage with magic if built right. They dont get too many direct damage yes but the ones they get are good and of course taking the right domains helps with that problem as well. And while negative energy protection is common there are ways to remove it even if one is not a mage. It can be done... it just takes more skill and resources.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:20 am

Vrass wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:43 am
Clerics are not mere support they can do devastating damage with magic if built right. They dont get too many direct damage yes but the ones they get are good and of course taking the right domains helps with that problem as well. And while negative energy protection is common there are ways to remove it even if one is not a mage. It can be done... it just takes more skill and resources.
I echo this sentiment. Arguably, a caster cleric with foci in the right schools is much more lethal and survivable than an arcane mage as a "caster."

Harm has no die roll variable. It can't be empowered (by manual application of the metamagic feat).
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:54 am

http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Empower_spell

The following are the spells that possess variable numeric effects not excluded by the above considerations (including the provision that this feat does not affect durations) but that cannot be empowered with this feat. This list excludes level 8 and 9 spells, as those cannot be empowered due to the lack of spell slots above level 9.

Creeping doom
Destruction
Harm
Heal
Poison
Shades
Shadow conjuration
Greater shadow conjuration
Sound burst
Spike growth
Sunbeam

nwn.wikia.com is a good source if your unsure how NWN work at it's core, before Arelith changes.