POTF Sorcerers and epic spell foci RP benefits

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Montka

POTF Sorcerers and epic spell foci RP benefits

Post by Montka » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:28 pm

Hello there,

As the title suggests i was wondering if the Path of True Flame Sorcerer can get the RP benefits from the epic spell foci,
such as yoinking, scrying, teleporting, etc..

Thanks in advance!

Blood on my Lips

Re: POTF Sorcerers and epic spell foci RP benefits

Post by Blood on my Lips » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:09 pm

True Flame sorcerers only have access to the Evocation School of Magic.

Scrying, Yoinking, and Teleporting require Epic Focus in schools of magic that are not available to a True Flame.

Montka

Post by Montka » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:19 pm

Awww, that's a bummer.
But still, thank you for your answer!
I guess i knew it but wanted to cling onto the hope of eventually getting those :D

Hinty

Post by Hinty » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:58 pm

They cant cast the spells, but are they still able to take the feats?

Thematically it would be bizarre down to outright metagamey to take feats that allow epic spells of schools that you cant cast, but then the Focus abilities don't all tie in right anyway. Getting bonuses on enchanting items because you have a focus in mind control magic doesn't fit. I'm sure it was a mechanics choice, but it really should be a Transmutation thing, and the Transmutation ability to teleport and make portals is very much a Conjuration thing....

I would not personally have an issue with a True Flame mage taking the enchantment focuses to get the bonus to enchanting items, so long as they only enchanted damage bonuses (the only evocationy enchantments i can think of off the top of my head) on things, but why would anyone ever do that?

So i suppose the question is, can it be done mechanically even tho it shouldn't?

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:31 pm

I think the enchant focuses work fine for enchanting (hoping i could bait someone to correct me if I am wrong) its just you cant get the epic spells that epic spell focuses would provide.

That being said, with lack of haste spell (except potions of speed) epic feats for a true flame are usually spent on auto quicken 3 and, or epic spell focus evocation along with greaterruin/hellball (if hellball manages to knock down your opponent(s), it may win the fight.

Now that potions are a thing, auto quicken is not as mandatory, but I am sure you wouldnt mimd being able to immediately cast two spells your first round vs qauffing a potion if you get caught with your pants down.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:15 am

Hinty wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:58 pm
Getting bonuses on enchanting items because you have a focus in mind control magic doesn't fit. I'm sure it was a mechanics choice, but it really should be a Transmutation thing, and the Transmutation ability to teleport and make portals is very much a Conjuration thing....
I like you.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).