Balanced Undead/Outsider Hunter

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

msterswrdsmn

Balanced Undead/Outsider Hunter

Post by msterswrdsmn » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:26 pm

So yeah. Yet another idea for an undead/outsider hunter. Basic premesis is as follows.

Ranger 5/paladin X?/X Class. RP concept is pretty much an undead/outsider hunter, similar to a witcher-esk style of tracking/analyzing/slaying.

The basic premesis is yet another undead hunter (STR focused) that also makes use of zen archery and paladin WIS bonuses to be competent at ranged combat as well. RP/Playstyle reason being to have an "adapt to the situation" approach when dealing with undead rather than being a one-trick specalized pony. Ie: some undead need to be prioritized from a distance (ex: necromages) before they can support the oncoming mob (which means melee). Or being able to fight things by attacking their weak points (ex: sniping low AC mobs and meleeing higher HP ones)

Main focus would be on the paladin levels to boost up bless weapon and being able to apply paladin spells onto templates. Half-elf as a base race for moonblade crafting/use. Considering a longbow for a ranged weapon, but thrown weapons on a STR build works well as well.

Thoughts?

StrykerMontgomery

Re: Balanced Undead/Outsider Hunter

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:09 pm

Im assuming most build advice is going to recommend either heavy on ranger or paladin because of dispelling.

Either scenario you will end up with a buff weapon spell that can almost make moonblades redundant except that divine against undead is nice. (And still keen and plus 4 even if dispelled)

If you wanted range to be an option, i think str ranger build with paladin lvls instead of fighter for bless weapon might work. If you want the bless weapon to work on outsiders, you need like 11 or 13 paladin lvls which means you might need to go full blown epic paladin to not be dispel bait (of course I heard rangers have a problem where they are dispel bait as long as they cast a single spell, so not sure on this one)

Also the extra 2d6 on outsiders is easily made par with having 2d6 from bane of enemies that can apply to both outsiders and to undead (on top if the bless against undead).

I also thing more ranger lvls better suit a witcher like build minus the greatsword part. But those things are so unmeta anyways.

You can go archer path to help produce your own arrows and go moon blade and shield for melee while keeping your range competitive. Or dual wield moonblades at a great ab penalty with the option of going sword and shield (or use something that is not a moonblade). I think eitj bless favoured bane of enemies and ranger bonus, both your range attacks and melee will do considerable damage to the undead and decent against outsiders. The only sucky part is lack of saving throws paladin usaully gets out of cha. Maybe you could have a connection in some paladin order to get templates blessed for your undead/demon huntinf ways and no need paladin lvls.

Or be that big time paladin blesser and go full out with holy avenger also added to your templates.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:13 am

Champion of Torm? Divine wrath will boost melee and ranged I believe
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:31 pm

For some time I've wanted an 'undead hunter' paladin path, just as I've wanted a 'tomb robber' path for rogues.

Both of these classes have (differing) solid reasons for delving into tombs, but neither can really do so with any success. Paladins lack the reflex saves and essential skills for overcoming the traps and obstacles, while rogues are wholly unable to tackle undead.

These are two classes that can therefore
really benefit from each other's company, but are not only often a very poor fit in terms of role play, they also don't really work as a cross-class character.

It's always seemed to me that these two paths would make a lot of sense.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:45 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:13 am
Champion of Torm? Divine wrath will boost melee and ranged I believe
It's a general AB/dmg boost, which applies to all attack rolls while active, but you have to focus on a melee weapon to take CoT levels, so it's cumbersome on a ranged build.

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:51 pm

Well he wants a hybrid melee/ranged build. I'd build CoT for melee and it'll give you a little extra boost to your ranged attacks.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:38 am

A hybrid build?

The dex based Brycer would be perfect for this. Pick Hin and there will be enough feats to specialize in both short sword and sling at the cost of save feats and a few great dex.

AB will be average (46 to 48ish), but both end-tier short sword and sling will be accessible and have DR piercing.

AC will be somewhat decent as well.

Stat spread will be a hassle due to needing 13str on a hin for the divine might/shield, gear will be a pain, too. But it looks good on paper! Somewhat.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:50 am

I don't know if it fits the concept you want, but mechanically speaking, if you want to kill undead, the strongest class is probably cleric. You might consider going strength/charisma based; you'll get a very powerful turn undead and access to Mass Heal, in addition to strong melee capability, provided you're prepared (and if it's an incentive, Geralt from the Witcher often prepares in advance before engaging a foe... you could RP the buff dance like so). The Good domain, though not all that stellar in its own right, will give you the ability to turn outsiders, further satisfying another one of the criteria for your character concept. You can play a Cleric/Fighter/Rogue for more feats, or a Cleric/Paladin/Rogue for higher saves.

Wrips

Post by Wrips » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Doesn't the fact that outsiders add their innate SR to their Turning Resistance make it basically impossible to turn them in Arelith?

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:07 am

Clerk is totes the pony for exploding undead with ease. However, the tracking and such sounds as though you'd want to play a ranger, but if you want ranged and melee to somewhat equate in terms of efficiency, you would have to go DEX rather than half-assed zen archery.

Ranger10/Rogue16/Paladin4 or Ranger5/Rogue21/Paladin4 as a DEX base sounds closest to what you can create, with craft wand and WIS12-14 for wandcraftery. A bit stumped in feats, but it should be servicable nonetheless.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Ranger 21/Monk 6/Rogue or Bard 3, FE: Undead/Outsider, Bless Weapon scrolls (CL 17 so you get 2d6 vs. Undead and vs. Outsiders). Grants you +4 Blade Thirst on your quarterstaff (bludgeoning is usually best vs. Undead iirc), high AC from Monk WIS AC and Ranger dual-wielding AC, high AB from Ranger and Bane of Enemies, high HP from a base d10 class.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable