PDK builds

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

ArcanaFTW

PDK builds

Post by ArcanaFTW » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:52 pm

I've never played with PDK at all, but I would love to. Anyone got any builds I could use?

Baron Saturday

Re: PDK builds

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Can you give a general idea of what sort of character you're interested in playing? Thing is, PDK is super versatile and can fit into pretty much any build that doesn't want more than 20 levels (so most casters are out), which leaves a TON of build options.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

ArcanaFTW

Post by ArcanaFTW » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:39 am

I was looking at something tank focused but couldn’t really conjure it up in my mind. Maybe a paladin mix?

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:28 am

I think a 4 rogue 10 pdk 16 champion of torm build would be pretty strong. You'd take your 3 rogue, all 10 pdk and 7 COT pre-epic, with your epics being 8 more cot -> 1 rogue -> 16th cot. I've never played this build so take this with a grain of salt, but from what I can mumble up onto a .txt it seems like something fun & playable.

ArcanaFTW

Post by ArcanaFTW » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:39 pm

I'm not great at building, especially with a class that's been modified, so would you pretty please have something spare? Hate to ask, but I really haven't got any clue.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:52 am

strong yeet wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:28 am
I think a 4 rogue 10 pdk 16 champion of torm build would be pretty strong. You'd take your 3 rogue, all 10 pdk and 7 COT pre-epic, with your epics being 8 more cot -> 1 rogue -> 16th cot. I've never played this build so take this with a grain of salt, but from what I can mumble up onto a .txt it seems like something fun & playable.
This is great along with the 4 rogue 10 PDK 16 BG

word to the wise:

CoT does NOT get heavy armor. You need to take it as a feat in the rogue/pdk/CoT build. You also don't get any heavier armor or shield or weapno proficiencies until CoT1 and you don't get your tumble dump until level 29. It's a solid build but has issues from level 1-10 and again from about levels 22-29 until you're totally online. Once you're totally online though, it's excellent. The BG version has the same issues.

The downside of the CoT version is that it doesn't benefit quite as much from the cha synergy like the BG does, and unfortunately due to kensai-death, pally/PDK/CoT isn't near as cool as it might have used to be. Same for Fighter/PDK/CoT.

COT version I recommend valiant (but it takes 16 CHA - so Protector's an option, I just like the wrath/Valiant/Oath stack), BG version I recommend Protector, but Valiant works too.

Other PDK builds offhand that, for the most part, build themselves:

Rogue 16/PDK 10/BG/Pally 4 - the inverse of the 4/10/16 that goes heavier rogue and uses CHA as a dip - can work in STR and DEX versions. You could sub fighter instead of BG/Pally and run it mundane and pick up WS/EWS, and not need charisma.
Barbarian 17/PDK 10/Rogue 3 (Vanguard - Terror Rage) - uses intimidate synergy as best as possible.
Fighter 16/PDK 10/Rogue 4 - boring all day generally-above-average tank that excels at nothing - I don't really recommend this
Bard 20/PDK 10 - hyper ultimate support, Valiant gives you the ability to shift numbers massively with Bard/Curse and Rally/Oath
Bard 4/PDK 10/Palemaster 16 - 'Death Knight' that's incredibly feat starved and trades the fighter feats for party utility and th ability to make the tankiest dragon knight you've ever seen with Protector. Fighter version's strictly better but this one sort of feels like a funny gimmick.
I sort of feel like there's a monk build hiding in here, but probably just as a dip and using q-staff or kamas.