What does gift of Hiding do?

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Joheshua

What does gift of Hiding do?

Post by Joheshua » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:43 pm

I made a Cleric and I chose trickery as my domain, will gift of hiding be beneficial to the build? What exactly does the gift of hiding do? The main reason I am asking is I am hoping that Gift of Hiding is not completely obsolete since I chose the Domain of Trickery.

Thanks!

illcat

Re: What does gift of Hiding do?

Post by illcat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:47 pm

It adds +4 to hide and Move Silently. I don't know your build so it's hard to say whether it's helpful or not to you.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:56 pm

It will only be useful if you plan on pumping hide/ms via multiclassing

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:58 pm

I think that one is gift of sneak, here is what it says on Gift of Hiding on the wiki;

Gift of Hiding Invisibility 1/day

Does this mean it just gives me the invisibility spell to cast once a day? Domain of trickery also has invisibility spell so wondering if it is basically redundant for my cleric.

If it is redundant what minor gift would be good for a cleric, gift of hardiness maybe?

Regionals

Post by Regionals » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:47 pm

It used to be one invisibility a day, now it is invisibility on an 8 minute cool down.

It's not a bad gift.. unlike a spell of invisibility that takes a round to cast (if unhasted) it's a free action. It's a decent panic button ability and since it scales with character levels it only gets more useful. A bit redundant for a trickery cleric, much more useful on a stealther for pseudo- HiPS or on something like a pure druid who can't use wands or cast that spell.

Still, gift of languages or gift of crafting are the strongest choices for almost any character.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:11 pm

It does allow you to save a spell slot or two.

And yup, did confuse it with gift of the sneak

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:33 pm

Thanks for the responses guys, few more questions, with the invisibility spell I get from Gift of Hiding, when I get improved invisibility from the Domain of Trickery will my gifted spell be improved also? Does regular invisibility also come with concealment where it will help my defense?

I think I might remake, why is the gift of languages such a strong choice?

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:49 pm

It will remain invis without concealment

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Joheshua wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:33 pm
Learning languages takes a long, long time on Arelith. Anything that helps learn them faster is great.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:50 pm
Joheshua wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:33 pm
Learning languages takes a long, long time on Arelith. Anything that helps learn them faster is great.
I am considering taking this gift, i have only been around the starting area for newer players, as I venture further out in the world will languages become more important? How are they used in the game? Will I not be able to understand other players unless I speak their language?

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:22 pm

It's not SUPER IMPORTANT to be able to speak other languages, since all characters can speak and understand Common, but it can be nice for RP. If being able to speak other languages isn't relevant to your character concept, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're interested in spy RP, a high lore skill will allow you to understand other languages even if you can't speak them.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:25 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:22 pm
It's not SUPER IMPORTANT to be able to speak other languages, since all characters can speak and understand Common, but it can be nice for RP. If being able to speak other languages isn't relevant to your character concept, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're interested in spy RP, a high lore skill will allow you to understand other languages even if you can't speak them.
Interesting, thank you.

Regionals

Post by Regionals » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 pm

I just named those two generically as the most useful. Knowing other languages tend to be a thing you don't know you want until you realize you do, so having the gift helps a lot especially on a character with average intelligence. If the character wouldn't care then skip it.

If in doubt go with Gift of Craftsmanship. Any character can make good use of that in some way or other. Darkness is also a very good one, like invisibility it's on a cooldown and scales with level and if you're a sneaky type having that spell handy is always nice, though of course any cleric can cast that multiple times per rest already.

Some of the skill bonus gifts are useful too but usually only if you planned to max them out already (e.g. any dedicated sneak could use another +4 hide & MS, but it's not much use if you're not going all the way.) Hardiness is ok for a melee but probably wasted on a cleric who's already heavily stocked with defenses.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks for all the great information guys, I think I am on the verge of my final build, just one more question;

What do you think is better the Trickery Domain or the War Domain?

Aura of Vitality seems really good, do you think it would be better than the Improved Hiding and Invisibility Sphere?

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:31 pm

Improved invisibility is HUGE, as the 50% concealment is a lifesaver defensively. Invisibility sphere? Not so much.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:14 am

msterswrdsmn wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:31 pm
Improved invisibility is HUGE, as the 50% concealment is a lifesaver defensively. Invisibility sphere? Not so much.
That is what I was thinking

My final build will be;

Neutral good worshiper of Thoth, ruler of the domains of healing and trickery, walking the path of the healer.

About to make him now.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:29 am

Enjoy and don’t sweat it if you make a few mistakes along the way. It’s not the end of the world and it is very hard getting everything right on your first char with all of Arelith’s custom changes.

Just make sure your concept is enjoyable and feel free to ask for more advice.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:43 am

Jagel wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:29 am
Enjoy and don’t sweat it if you make a few mistakes along the way. It’s not the end of the world and it is very hard getting everything right on your first char with all of Arelith’s custom changes.

Just make sure your concept is enjoyable and feel free to ask for more advice.

I read a lot on the forums and different guides so I think this guy will be my main character, try to take him to level 30.

I made quite a few guys before him but that was with no idea what I was doing heh, had to read and research quite a bit to understand what was going on with the skills and stats.

Thanks everyone for helping me out.

Joheshua

Post by Joheshua » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Ok, so I just realized that the aspects of the God I worship effect how I can generate piety.

For the Magic aspect it says that piety is generated through "spellcasting" does that include when I cast a healing spell? Since Hearth and Home specifically says Healing to generate piety so wondering if they are different.

Also, it says the benefit is "God Raise" what is that?

monkeywithstick
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by monkeywithstick » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:20 pm

Magic gains you 0.1 piety every time you cast a spell
H&H gains 0.5 piety when you heal (including spells, but not iirc from kits)

I don't know if those stack but honestly 0.5/heal on a cleric will stack up pretty fast so I'm not sure it being 0.6 instead will be a major difference.

God raise means when you die, you can (if your piety is >50%) instead not die, lose piety (I think 50% to prevent it working again in short succession but it might just be on a cooldown instead), lose all your buffs and debuffs and get a short term sanctuary effect.
Characters: Izzy, short for Isabel. Shaena Ash.

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:20 pm

Joheshua wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:40 pm

Also, it says the benefit is "God Raise" what is that?
When the Big Bad drop kicks you with a death blow that would instantly kill you on the spot... your god steps in and rewards you for your dedication (shown by high piety) saving you from that death.

The mechanic as mentioned strips you of all your buffs and auto-activates a limited "Sanctuary" effect allowing you a few seconds to ESCAPE to a place the Big Bad can't see you, or at minimum get a big head-start on running the hell away.

God Raise literally saves your life.

IT automatically lowers your piety low enough to where you won't get a 2nd god raise until you get that piety back upwards of 90% (I've never had a successful god raise with piety below 90%... so don't quote me on that %, it's just been my own experience)
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen